homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Cost of the Apple I Cake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost of the Apple I Cake
webmacster87
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5018

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 06:23      Profile for webmacster87   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious...
How much (from supplies, candy, etc.) did it cost to make the cake that appears in JoT #806 (aka today's episode)? I know that the instructions look like the cake was a lot of work. [Wink]

--------------------
Phew, I finally registered on here.
Webmacster87.info (my blog)

Posts: 42 | From: SF Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 31, 2006 07:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supplies used included...

1 large Lindt Swiss Classic chocolate bar
An awl.
Baking supplies such as flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, oil, eggs, milk, vanilla or cocoa, at least one 9x12" baking pan, mixing bowls, spatula, wooden spoons, hand mixer, oven mitts, large knife.
2 cans of vanilla icing and 1 can of chocolate icing.
1 tube white decorating icing with icing tip attachments.
Icing knife, (other utensils can be used in a pinch.)
1 Dark chocolate KitKat bar.
1 Cadbury Burnt Almond chocolate bar.
1 package Dentyne Mints.
1 fine tipped permanent marker.
Pack of TicTacs
1 pack Wrigley's gum.
30 birthday candles.
matches.
wax paper, plastic wrap.

We overbought our supplies so we wouldn't run out, and to have backups. (We bought two large chocolate bars for instance, and two tubes of cake decorating icing, and 4 cans of icing)

The baking pans and awl and other kitchen supplies we already owned, so we didn't need to buy those, so...

Cost of making the cake... 50 bucks or so.
Baking an Apple I.... priceless.

The true cost... one sore tummy from eating too much! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7782 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 08:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude: Redundant Array of Inexpensive Ingredients!!!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9170 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 08:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.....anyone else think of 'hot knives' when they see this pic?

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 31, 2006 09:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the How to:

Snaggy carved the "Apple" letters out of the chocolate using a "hot knives" method... [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 31, 2006 09:13      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
.....anyone else think of 'hot knives' when they see this pic?

-

Only an experienced individual would Vic... I take it that some of you were rather herbal in youth? [Wink]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1125 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 10:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaah - those were the days! A little Red Leb to pass round, but keep the sweet Afghani Black for close friends! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 10:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I buy the stuff anymore, but I will have a puff (or 20) if someone breaks it out.

You never seem to see hash anymore. Where I grew up on the east coast, Quebec bikers would have hash imported to Nova Scotia for North American distribution so it was always plentlyful. When I moved to Ontario grass was the norm....now that I am out West (and North) BC bud is king. Let me tell you though that BC stuff will knock you on your ass, I was laying sod last summer and my bro-in-law lit up a fatty, afterward I was on the verge of hallucinations [crazy] My RCMP buddy tells me that BC bud is exchanged pound for pound with US dealers for cocaine.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 31, 2006 12:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missing JoyPoll option... Home Grown Club
webmacster87
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5018

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 15:17      Profile for webmacster87   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me considers making an Apple I cake tomorrow with the Apple Mac and Cheese, but realizes that he'll need to get permission from parents for both of them...

--------------------
Phew, I finally registered on here.
Webmacster87.info (my blog)

Posts: 42 | From: SF Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 15:26      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of the cake doesn't concern me too much, as I doubt that I'll be making one, but I did drag your picture to my Finder to commemorate Apple's 30th. (Yeah, I'm a big spender!) I have to say that I'm blown away by that cake! You guys do go all out. It made me nostalgic and a little bit proud to be a member of such a group of geeky people that consider the birth of the Apple to be a cake-worthy affair. Rock on, Apple!

Shooshie

Posts: 72 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2006 22:23      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooshie:
proud to be a member of such a group of geeky people that consider the birth of the Apple to be a cake-worthy affair. Rock on, Apple!

Shooshie

I'm even more proud that it's an Apple I cake.... So much of the Apple's 30th stuff seems to start at Lisa/Mac, nice to know there's a crowd of young geeks who remember Apple I, II and ///

Long Live Apple SOS! (The Sophisticated Operating System of the Apple /// pronounced Apple Sauce)

Ahh... It was a special time when the punny geeks were in charge!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.