homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Dvorak

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dvorak
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:14      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually read his column last night and thought of you guys.

Cool to put Pat and Leo in the cartoon. Would have been even better to Pat in kilt. I've been thudless for an age. sigh.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 10:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would have been even better to put Pat in kilt.

He is wearing one, just out of frame. [Razz]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 12:48      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right just tease me, you big meanie!!!!
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:40      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a big hit over at Leoville. [Smile]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 20, 2006 22:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you catch the latest TWiT podcast? It features Leo performing the comic. [Big Grin]

TWiT 42: Dvorak's Lost It

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 10:07      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing, listening to that episode of TWiT, is that Dvorak STILL thinks all the signs are in place for an Apple transition to Windows.

One of Dvorak's 10 Signs:
The $150 Million investment in Apple by Microsoft.

Folks, that was 10 years ago. M$ was issued $150M worth of NON-VOTING special class stock, that they were obligated to sell back to Apple after a specified amount of time (a year, IIRC), and on which they made a pretty penny.

As far as I know, other than possible personal stock investments (which would be smart), M$ has NO corporate stake in Apple, Inc.

Mister "I get no spam" Dvorak needs to get into the 21st century with his prognostications.

Oh, another one of his sure signs was that M$ has "only" committed to make Office for the Mac for "another 5 years". Tell me, John, how exactly does that spell the end of Mac OS and the transition to Windows? That's just an medium-range business commitment by M$, which IIRC, they're renewing a previous 5-year commitment.

There's no Conspiracy here, John. Move along. [Big Grin]

=DB

...who's not in the TWiT Army, just the TWiT Reserves, and is wearing a Utilikilt to prove it (DB on TWiT)

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 10:29      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a fairly interesting argument. But Apple's whole advantage IMO is the way that they can ensure a great (and reliable) user experience by making both the hardware and the software. Without that, well... I don't think they'd be Apple.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
nick.c
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3061

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 21, 2006 11:00      Profile for nick.c   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Microsoft was being investigated as a monopoly they pointed to Apple as proof they were not. If Apple switched to Windows, Microsoft would find themselves stairing down that monopoly charge again.

Seems to me that even if Apple wanted to switch to Windows, Microsoft could (and would) fight it on grounds it would create a monopoly. [Big Grin]

Apple is just worth more to Microsoft as a competitor... [ohwell]

Posts: 16 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture