homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Valentines Day Survival Kit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Valentines Day Survival Kit
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 08:33      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, that one was great!

Which reminded me a quote that I know, I'm not sure if I can translate it properly, but it goes like this,

"Love is an infinite pampering state that doesn't last forever."

Ahh.. here's to a lonely V-day lads!.. Who's with me? [Razz]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 08:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shall be lonely too, but only because of distance and technical problems. [Frown]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 09:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santé!

Edit: I will actually meet someone, but nothing romantic - at all: I have an appointment with my Master's project's supervisor in the A.M.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 10:34      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be flying solo also. I am bitter this Valentines Day and to celebrate I am wearing all black tomorrow. Probably the only one cause everyone will be in red. At night, I plan on passing the evening with a bottle or Mango Rum.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 10:39      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first one alone in 8 years. I'm acctually kind of excited. I'm protesting relationships for a bit.

"Marriage is the number one reson for divorce"

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 12:52      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I'm in love with is Ugurcan's little avatar creature-in-a-box. So cute!! [hearts]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 13:00      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
The only thing I'm in love with is Ugurcan's little avatar creature-in-a-box. So cute!! [hearts]

I have a picture of it taped to my pillow, if that counts.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 13:26      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel, but this is actually going to be my first Valentine's Day in a relationship. I can't take her out 'cause of a geographical hindurance, but she's already gotten the package I sent her, and I'll be happy to know that she's still there for me.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 13:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I'll be joining the club - just found out the chick I was seeing is an arab-hating extremist jew and a racist, so I had no choice but to promtply give her das boot (a boot, not a boat) in der arsch.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 14:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian - Whilst I sympathise with your plight, I can't help thinking that it would have been cool if you could have literally given her 'Das Boot' [Big Grin]

I hope you have better luck next time, and well done for not compromising your principles. [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 14:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have a pleasant phone call that evening, but otherwise I'll be on the list of those spending it alone too (probably watching a gruesome horror film and cheering when the first couple having sex gets the quisinart treatment).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 15:13      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm in the beginning stages of a relationship. We haven't seen each other in a loooong time, and only recently got back in touch. He's coming to visit this weekend, and we're going to decide if we want to make a go of it. I deliberately invited him up the weekend after Valentine's, because I wanted to be single on the day... and to sit and drink Single Malt Irish Whisky with my single friends, and toast what we hope will be the end of a miserable year of failed relationships for all of us. [hearts]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 15:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[weep]
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 13, 2006 15:34      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
[weep]

Psst, Vic: it's totally you! Bring some vodka on Friday, won't you?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 16:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also among those who just gets to make a phone call. [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 16:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
zesovietrussian - Whilst I sympathise with your plight, I can't help thinking that it would have been cool if you could have literally given her 'Das Boot' [Big Grin]

I hope you have better luck next time, and well done for not compromising your principles. [Applause]

I've done the next best thing - briefly changed my voicemail greeting to "Sieg heil! Das ist <phone number.> Leave a message, ja?> to discourage any unwanted calls after everything was said and done. Worked like a charm [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 16:33      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly DOES "Sieg Heil" mean? [Confused]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 16:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my translation widget it means "victory welfare"

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 17:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

I've done the next best thing - briefly changed my voicemail greeting to "Sieg heil! Das ist <phone number.> Leave a message, ja?> to discourage any unwanted calls after everything was said and done. Worked like a charm [Smile]
Nice one. My voicemail greeting on my Nextel says, "Hi, you've reached The Dragon of ______, please leave a message at the tone. Si tu hablas español, tienes el número incorrecto."

I got sick and tired of the strange calls I was getting after I got my new phone. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 17:40      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
According to my translation widget it means "victory welfare"

If I recall my HS German correctly, it translates as "hail victory" ... but for some reason I want to say that it's not a perfect translation. Sieg doesn't mean victory, or there's some added nuances or something.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 18:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one spending his V-day alone. Well not really alone, there is a whole building full of people. But you get the drift.

I hope I get a call from a good friend. Other than that, a quiet night of work.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 19:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered flowers for my mom over a month ago to be delivered to her at work on V-Day. ProFlowers.com (Gannett gets discounts there) sent me an e-mail today confirming shipment with scheduled arrival for tomorrow. However, UPS says they're scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, Mom's day off. As a result, ProFlowers.com refunded my money. I'm kinda bummed 'cause I thought she'd have fun receiving flowers at work (especially bright yellow roses!). [Frown]

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 19:32      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPS has not once delivered a package to me on time.

FedEx, on the other hand, has the problem of delivering shipments one day early.

I'm spending Valentine's Day alone, but I'm not too bitter about it. It's just like any other day to me.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 19:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They delivered my shoes on time and my dress one day early. I didn't need them until this weekend. I'm more disappointed about the flowers. [Frown]

--------------------

sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 20:11      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just glad that the woman in my office who irritates me has the day off. My wife is in Austin babysitting a client, but she should be home in time to make her opera workshop class and then come home exhuasted at 8:00 pm. Needless to say that will be romantic. I have a test that night in my PreCalculus Class, which is the bane of my existence. I have had three semesters of calculus and linear algebra, but I didn't take calculus in high school so according to some stupid rule, I have to take Precalculus. What was the subject - Valentine's Day? I bought my wife Tourmaline earings at the Tuscon gem and mineral show two weeks ago, and I got her card Friday. Of course, I am not sure where they are. And another thing, I procrastinate very well.

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture