homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Keyboard Komic [sic]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keyboard Komic [sic]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 16:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great JoT, N+S!!! That one is going up on the wall. [Big Grin]

Oh...and people...please don't eat over your keyboards - it's really not a pretty scene. It's also a good idea to wash your hands after eating...otherwise grease or other gunk may get on them. (I've seen some keyboards that are utterly vile - I've just thrown them out, rather than waste time on them.)

Regarding the JoyPoll, I really do cleaned my keyboard every so often - once a month if I'm good about it. The fact that I've got a white Apple Pro Keyboard encourages me to keep it clean at that. [Smile] A few weeks ago, I popped up all the keys, and gave every key a proper cleaning...for two reasons.
1. There was some dust on the edges of the keys that was hard to otherwise remove.
2. A quirky thing about having a beard is that sometimes small hairs fall below the keys...and are next to impossible to remove otherwise. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 01:49      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother cleaning, when you can do this. [Big Grin]

I remember having to pick up a tomato slice from my keyboard, I never understand how it dit get there.. [Wink]

Since I got my laptop, I'm paying more attention to my keyboard. I bought an air spray and a 3M cleaning kit. Well, at least I haven't found any pickles yet..

So, what lesson have I learned? Do not eat sandwich over your keyboard, Your mother will not be cleaning it, you will!

EDIT: The optimus keyboard is scheduled to be released on february. YAYAYAY! and that's a piece of hardware you want to keep your coffe mug away!

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 18:26      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I am often eating at my computer, I got one of those silicone keyboard overlays. It has worked pretty well. One could also get a washable keyboard. They are only $49 (U.S. currency).
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 00:37      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All keyboards are washable [Big Grin]

You just have let them dry for a couple of days..

--------------------

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 07:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned the hard way that cleaning the keyboard on an IBM Thinkpad isn't an easy task. You see, I removed all of the keys so I could clean the keyboard.. and then I realised that the little tiny white plastic clips that keep the keys on the keyboard were incredibly thin and flimsy, and broke many.

I ended up getting a new keyboard on eBay since by the time all was said and done, my old keyboard was missing its shift, tab, ctrl, printscreen, caps lock, sysrequest, and pause buttons.

And being a geek, I need my shift, tab, and ctrl.

Caps lock I didn't care about so much.. I tell Linux to ignore it since I *never* use it anyway.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 08:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I learned the hard way that cleaning the keyboard on an IBM Thinkpad isn't an easy task. You see, I removed all of the keys so I could clean the keyboard.. and then I realised that the little tiny white plastic clips that keep the keys on the keyboard were incredibly thin and flimsy, and broke many.

I ended up getting a new keyboard on eBay since by the time all was said and done, my old keyboard was missing its shift, tab, ctrl, printscreen, caps lock, sysrequest, and pause buttons.

And being a geek, I need my shift, tab, and ctrl.

Caps lock I didn't care about so much.. I tell Linux to ignore it since I *never* use it anyway.

Laptop keyboards are a royal PITA to work on - getting the key caps back on is rather difficult.

Oh...and piece of advice w.r.t. Caps Lock - remap it to Escape. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orbulon
Newbie Larva
Member # 3972

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 06:07      Profile for Orbulon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:
EDIT: The optimus keyboard is scheduled to be released on february. YAYAYAY! and that's a piece of hardware you want to keep your coffe mug away!

Yeah, that realy is the coolest product of the year, and I say it on january 10. But it seems to be HUGE... Couldn´t they have built in the quick keys into the num pad? Hold shift or wathever and the numb pad will change in to quick keys = more desktop realestate.

EDIT: Thinkingof nice things russia gave us, Tetris would be cool to build into that keyboard... Or mash the mole or a piano or... the possibilities are endless. [Smile]

Posts: 8 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 13:25      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet 10 bucks on Apple, that they'll buy this keyboard, and rename it to iBoard until 2007. [Big Grin]

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 23:14      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we're talking about 'em... I've been trying to figgure out an intresting and useful use of the caplock led... I've thought about writting a small program that is run on a cron job (hourly or every half hour) that simply:

Beeps once
Blinks the the time
Beeps again

Hmmm... I need more ideas... I don't use scroll lock either (except for KVM switches) so they seem ripe for the taking too.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 12:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Since we're talking about 'em... I've been trying to figgure out an intresting and useful use of the caplock led... I've thought about writting a small program that is run on a cron job (hourly or every half hour) that simply:

Beeps once
Blinks the the time
Beeps again

Hmmm... I need more ideas... I don't use scroll lock either (except for KVM switches) so they seem ripe for the taking too.

You might want to take a look at this:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/ledcontrol

I also used to use `ifleds` on a Linux box for awhile, and rather liked it - turned the Scroll Lock LED into an ethernet activity light. [Big Grin]

Speaking of LEDs...
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2006/01/nichtenblinkenlights.html

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 16:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys ever read Cryptonomicon?

Just asking...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 16:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like a keyboard that I could program to act like a piano keyboard (or any other musical instrument). That way I wouldn't need to figure out ways to attach various instruments to my computer to record/compose music.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 16:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
You guys ever read Cryptonomicon?

Just asking...

You know I have...*grins*

Oh...I want to do that some day...

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 16:42      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks DMan.

X, I've read "In the begining there was the commandline" before the book cameout... Greycat posted a link in OS debate. I've not read anything else in the book though.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'd like a keyboard that I could program to act like a piano keyboard (or any other musical instrument). That way I wouldn't need to figure out ways to attach various instruments to my computer to record/compose music.

MusicTime for Windows (an old old MIDI composition program) had a feature that let you use the keyboard as a midi keyboard... You'd only have one octave at a time though, and the + and - keys would move the whole keyboard an octave up or down respectivly.

--------------------
My Site

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 17:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GM, IIRC, that lovely essay is not in the book. Cryptonomicon is a novel and while it has good stuff within its pages, that little gem ain't there.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 17:56      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding was that it was used in a preface, or such. It's still listed on the book's site:
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

edit: I would love to find a cheap copy of it, after I'm done with my current list of "to reads"

--------------------
My Site

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 18:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
My understanding was that it was used in a preface, or such. It's still listed on the book's site:
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

edit: I would love to find a cheap copy of it, after I'm done with my current list of "to reads"

Not true: That's simply Stephenson's main web site. (and IIRC, he also has well.com/neal ? [I believe that was in "In the Beginning..."]

"In the Beginning..." can be bought for under $10, as far as I recall. It's an awesome read!!!

However, I see things on the flip side - the really cool story that Xanthine references was in Cryptonomicon, not In the Beginning... [Big Grin] Man, that was a great book - and the substory she references [re: LEDs] rocks!

Both are extremely good, and worth every penny - or better yet, worth checking out of your local library. I borrowed Crypto., and read it somewhere over the course of a week on the bus and at night - I couldn't keep it shut for long. I bought In the Beginning... off Thinkgeek ages ago, and enjoy going back to it every now and again.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 10:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can doubtlessly find a cheap copy of Cryptonomicon at any used book store.

Along a semi-related vein, I've read Quicksilver (which is wothwhile; this time Stephenson is excused for his typically weak-ass ending because it's part of a trilogy) but haven't got around to the sequels yet. I. am, however, now completely convinced in my theory about Enoch Root. [Wink]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture