homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » California here we are!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: California here we are!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 07, 2006 16:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we had a couple of great flights down to California yesterday. The first, a short hop over from Vancouver island to Vancouver the city was a little scary, with lot of bumps and drops as we flew just above the clouds in a 2 prop plane, but otherwise a gorgeous flight.
Then we boarded a jet in Vancounver and had a smooth flight down to San Francisco. Here are a few shots as we came in over the city...

Over the Golden Gate Bridge...
 -

wide view of the harbour....
 -

Over downtown... can you spot Moscone Center?
 -

So we're just catching up on work today and tomorrow, then getting ready for MacWorld!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 16:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome...have a great time. I rather like San Fran.

Very nice pictures! Point of curiosity - I hope no one gets alarmed at all by the taking of said pictures? I've been leery of drawing unwanted attention by doing so, but there are some great sights to be seen while flying.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the Moscone Center is here. [Razz] (I may be wrong though, as I didn't cheat. [Big Grin] )

Also, I'm going to take this opportunity to plug Seashore - an open source, Mac-native port of the functionality of the Gimp. It's not a replica of the Gimp, nor is it intended to be. For now, it's a pretty light editor, which I largely use for cropping pictures, altering brightness/contrast (as above), and applying Gaussian blur to screenshots. If anyone is strong at programming graphics code, I'm sure they'd love an extra hand...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2006 16:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo hoo! You're just a hop, skip, and a jump away! (Or at least a walk, a train, and a bus. [Razz] ) I hope you get to do some good sightseeing while you're there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 07, 2006 21:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Where's the pics of Starfleet Headquarters? [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Footsie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 08, 2006 07:39      Profile for Footsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice pics your very lucky to be able to go there im
very jealous jammy thing

--------------------
Here today... Gone tomorrow?

Posts: 33 | From: smelly foot farm | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 16:24      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna be there. [weep]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 08, 2006 22:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving into San Fran we missed a turnoff and ended up going over the Oakland Bay bridge. I turned around at Treasure Island.. and it turned out to be a pleasant diversion... here's the view of the skyline....

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 08, 2006 23:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In honor of your trip, Nitrozac and Snaggy, I've cued up the MP3 of "California Dreamin'" (the 1986 Beach Boys cover featuring Roger McGuinn on 12-string guitar!):

All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey,
I've been for a walk on a winter's day,
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.,
California dreaming on such a winter's day

Stopped into a church I passed along the way,
Well, I got down on my knees and I pretended to pray,
You know the preacher likes the cold, he knows I'm gonna stay,

(Guitar and sax solo)

All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey,
I've been for a walk on a winter's day,
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.,

(repeat and out)

IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 05:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll one up you with this song:

If You're Going To San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)
John Phillips - Recorded by Scott McKenzie

If you’re going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you’re going to San Francisco
You’re gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation,
such a strange vibration
People in motion
There’s a whole generation,
with a new explanation
People in motion, people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
If you come to San Francisco

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 08:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Driving into San Fran we missed a turnoff and ended up going over the Oakland Bay bridge. I turned around at Treasure Island.. and it turned out to be a pleasant diversion... here's the view of the skyline....

I've donethat. Treasure Island and Yerba Buena are actually a very nice drive. I got to fully experience how nice the drive was since it took me 15 minutes to find my way back to the freeway that night.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 14:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's a bit early for it, but when S&N are leaving, they'll be channeling Ole Blue Eyes:

I Left My Heart In San Francisco - Frank Sinatra

The loveliness of Paris
Seems someshow sadly gay.
The glory that was Rome
Is of another day.

I've been terribly alone
And forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home
To my city by the bay.

I left my heart
In San Francisco
High on the hill

It calls to me.
To be where little cables cars
Climb halfaway to the stars!
The morning fog may chill the air.

I don't care!
My love waits there in San Francisco

Above the blue and windy sea.
When I come home to you

San Francisco
Your golden sun will shine for me!

I left my heart

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 20:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 20:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian: I don't get it - it surely looks like you've copied Snaggy's picture. Care to explain?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 20:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He lightened it so we can now see the buildings instead of black geometric shapes. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 20:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
zesovietrussian: I don't get it - it surely looks like you've copied Snaggy's picture. Care to explain?

Looks like someone needs to calibrate his monitor [Smile]

Snaggy: post a link to the full-size image, I can fix that one as well.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 21:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me *likes* black geometric shapes. [Big Grin]

All you've got to do though, is say it the first time around. [Smile]

I would never expect you to steal someone's pictures, as you take great ones yourself, but the lack of attribution was kind of confusing.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 03:50      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
I wanna be there. [weep]

As do I.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 10, 2006 04:01      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://applexnet.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1696

We got it infiltrated [Wink]

--Illuminati

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 05:42      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything I need to know about the show will be told by Slashdot, The Register, and Joy of Tech comics. [Smile]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 06:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be keeping tabs via macteens.com - they run an SMS transcript of sorts during MWE (I originally found it via macslash.org, which I've found to be an utterly stupid website these days).

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 10:26      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the Seashore reccomendation, I was looking for a Photo app program for my Powerbook. I found JAlbum in the process, and its good for photo galleries on websites. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile messing with my Powerbook [Wink]
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 17:26      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
wide view of the harbour....

It's an honor to have you in our fair city, I hope you enjoy your visit. I don't attend MacWorld but I do have fond memories of the 1989 Amiga Expo.... But I digress.

I did have to point out (though it may be a language thing like bonnet and hood) that the photo you have labled as being "of the harbour" is actually pretty much a picture of the whole darn city. San Francisco is a tiny place. But that's her charm.

markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 04:27      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx,
On my one trip to San Francisco (probably in 1998 or 99), one of my bosses wanted to visit Haight-Ashbury, just because he was frustrated as a young man at not being able to go out and join the festivities (he and I are both from the East Coast). So, we took a drive through, and saw all the various tie-dye and love bead shops milking the history, etc.

And then, we came to the actual intersection of Haight and Ashbury streets, and what do you think we found there?

A Ben and Jerry's.

What a long, strange trip it has indeed been.

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture