homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Nitrozac and Snaggy appearing at Macworld Expo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitrozac and Snaggy appearing at Macworld Expo
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 14, 2005 23:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you don't know already, Nitrozac and I will be appearing at Macworld Expo this January 11th, as guests on “Macworld Live! With David Pogue”.

holy dogcow.. is that really us on the same webpage as Jobs and Pogue and Guy Kawasaki? [Eek!]

David's keynote is a talk show-themed, and will include his famous song parodies, news of the day, and plenty of surprises. We'll be appearing first, talking about our work on the Joy of Tech comic, then during the course of the show, "Nitrozac'in" a lucky audience member and adding them to a comic! It should be a ton of fun, so if you are planning to attend Macworld, or will be in the San Francisco area, we hope to see you there, or at one of the other Macworld events.

We'd also like to organize a Joy of Tech/Geek Culture meet-up, so stay tuned for details of that, and let us know if you will be going to the show or be in town that week. [Big Grin]

UPDATE: We have a book signing at the OReilly booth at 11 PM Wednesday, until around 12 noon. After that we are meeting Peebs and heading out to lunch somewhere... if you're at macworld, please join us!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2005 03:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnificent valour!

If you catch any gossip or overhear Steves run-through, let us know the scoop!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
codazzo
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3047

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 02:25      Profile for codazzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W O W [Eek!]

congrats! wish i could be there [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 36 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 16, 2005 05:44      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. I am in charge of setting up my company's booth this year. I am sure I can convince one of my foolish co-workers to set up that day if I stay in the booth for Steve's keynote the day before.

Even though I rarely get the chance to read the forums these days, if you have a Geek Culture meet up, I'd try to make it as well.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 16, 2005 10:14      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am running the store that week!!! I can't leave. Heck Cali for me is not till August... all interested are welcome to my m00t too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 10:34      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be there! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 16, 2005 23:28      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat-o keen-o! I'll be there, though I don't know which day yet. I will try to plan around the JoT/GeekCulture meet-up. I look forward to seeing you live, in-person, and real time.

Wow, you really have made the Big Time - being sandwiched between David and Guy on the MacWorld website. And I had to do a double-take at Nitrozac's bio: "She’s also the best-smelling co-author of 'The Best of the Joy of Tech.'"

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 10:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool stuff. I can't exactly make it out to Cali. twice a year (unless I were to get paid to do it!), and I /might/ pass on going to San Fran. again this summer.

Big congrats are in order, N+S!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 16:01      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is completely awesome. Congratulations!

Um, but who is going to feed the rats while you are gone?

P.S.: You probably already know that there is a drool-worthy apple store about 3 or 4 blocks from the Moscone center. (One of the HUGE ones.) My credit card melts just thinking about it.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 16:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone needs to proof the Macworld Expo website. Since when is "chronicals" a word? (It's in Snaggy's bio.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 08:04      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Someone needs to proof the Macworld Expo website. Since when is "chronicals" a word? (It's in Snaggy's bio.)

It's jargon, but a pun in Snaggy's bio since he's a big geek, heh.

Chronicals is a portmanteau referring to recurring, time-based client access licenses (the CALs part) granting permission to use a particular service, kind of like kerberos tickets but for machines instead of people. One would employ chronicals for example to allow employees to get to open terminal server sessions during regular office hours from their own workstations, but to deny them the ability to open a session to the terminal server from a machine that is not in the "correct" department. That is, you don't want the marketing folks opening connections willy-nilly to the accounting department's servers. Or for payroll to accidentally print to engineering's printer, for another example. Making them time-based adds a level of security, in the sense that while Joe might be allowed to log in to work remotely, he should probably not have a remote login connected at the same time as he's logged in to his machine in the office.

Now aren't you sorry you asked? [Smile]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2005 11:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supaboy - I'm glad Rhonnie asked, as I didn't know any of that.... and it sounds so plausible [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 20, 2005 13:43      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean you're going to be out of town for your birthdays? Great birthday present! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 20, 2005 18:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be back in Canada in time for the birthdays. [Smile]

Looks like we'll be doing a book signing too... Wednesday, 11 AM at the O'Reilly booth. [Smile]

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 20:54      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
P.S.: You probably already know that there is a drool-worthy apple store about 3 or 4 blocks from the Moscone center. (One of the HUGE ones.) My credit card melts just thinking about it.

The view from my hotel window...

-

I definitely prefer this view to the one I had when I stayed here last year where it was down into the skylights of Old Navy.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 10, 2006 19:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE: We have a book signing at the OReilly booth at 11 PM Wednesday, until around 12 noon. After that we are meeting Peebs and heading out to lunch somewhere... if you're at Macworld, please join us!
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 20:16      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
UPDATE: We have a book signing at the OReilly booth at 11 PM Wednesday, until around 12 noon. After that we are meeting Peebs and heading out to lunch somewhere... if you're at Macworld, please join us!

With a Kaitlin cameo appearance. [Wink] You know you want to come.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2006 12:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

With a Kaitlin cameo appearance. [Wink] You know you want to come.
I wish I could make it up there to meet a few of you, but it's just not going to happen this time around.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
hotlead
Newbie Larva
Member # 1838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 23:43      Profile for hotlead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, wish I'd made it to see you folks.

Getting a book signed by fellow BC-ers would have been great. Instead I went to Course 52838737, Concourse Blah Blah, Room 133 (or whatever) and wasted my time.

Oh well. I did get a Loser button to wear all year.

Posts: 5 | From: BC Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 11:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aw rats hotlead, that is too bad we didn't get to see you. Unfortunately there was zero advance publicity about our book signing... it wasn't even listed on O'Reilly's list. [Roll Eyes]
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 20:04      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us who could only dream of making a Macworld pilgrimage, the folks at Macworld online have posted the Pogue show as two MP3s! It's the next best thing to being there.

Here is the link.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 28, 2006 15:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that link RScott! I've added it to the page featuring some photos of the show... here.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture