homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Michael Moore Christmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michael Moore Christmas
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 09:45      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least it's not a Michael Moorcock Christmas. [Razz]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 13:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, that liberal liar can smear anything, can't he? [Eek!]

I'm posting links to this comic to some conservative sites...they'll get a kick out of it.

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 14:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:

Um, Erbo, I don't quite know how to tell you this, but it's possible that your parents might have told you one or two little fibs about Santa...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 14:47      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Um, Erbo, I don't quite know how to tell you this, but it's possible that your parents might have told you one or two little fibs about Santa...
This ⇑ comment has some dangerous implications in it, Druid. What are you trying to say?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 14:53      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha! I thought this was one of the best JoT comics I've seen.

Just drop the politics. It's funny.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 15:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:

This ⇑ comment has some dangerous implications in it, Druid. What are you trying to say?
/me checks the calendar....

Um, I'll tell you in January.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 04, 2005 10:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks goo!

This comic received a lot of feedback. From emails like this...

"Your Michael Moore cartoon implies that he tells the truth...this is NOT the case.
Moore is an opportunistic LIAR and should be so shown."

to...

http://www.macliberals.com/wordpress/?p=369

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 11:50      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF? Those people seriously need to get a life. [Roll Eyes] I don't think there was any political statement involed at all in the comic, just plain good ol' fashioned satire. Sheesh! [shake head]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 14:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF are the humour-impaired doing visiting geekculture in the first place?

--------------------

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 16:55      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was confused by this comic, I thought we think of Michael Moore as a liar.. so does that mean Santa does exist? Or does he tell the truth, even if it means crushing a childs dreams, in that case Santa does not exist.

It must be the first
It BETTER be the first

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 19:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hell, Druid, I figured that out before they worked up the courage to tell me. (When they came to tell me, I pointed at Mom, saying, "You're the Tooth Fairy," and then at Dad, saying, "And you're Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.")

But am I going to go around and ruin it for today's little kids? Hell no!

And I especially wouldn't do it the way Mickey Moore-on does it in this comic, refuting one batch of (relatively harmless) lies just to fill those kids' heads with a different batch of (much more harmful) lies...

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 21:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The comic was cute, but the reactions have been far more amusing.

/me laughs at all the offended people

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 22:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this needs a follow up Bill O'Reilly Xmas toon where Bill yells "Liberals are trying to take the CHRIST out of Christmas! They must SHUT-UP!!!"

But then you'd just get more pointless comments from people who obviously don't have enough to do. But it would entertain the rest of us! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Wannabe Steve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2005 23:03      Profile for Wannabe Steve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one should be in the next JOT book!

--------------------
My greatest ambition? Become Steves NeXT shoe polisher!

Posts: 18 | From: In the iMac | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 08:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record: I thought the comic was great, which is why I spread the link around...the portrayal of Moore in the comic was dead-on, and I daresay even liberals would agree on that point.

EDIT: It might also be useful to look at this comic in terms of Scott Adams' 2-of-6 rule for humor (thanks to EMinder <boldface> for pointing this out to me today). The comic features familiar elements like the department-store Santa environment and Michael Moore (Recognizability), a bunch of cute kids (Cuteness), and Michael Moore being cruel to said cute kids (Cruelty) and thinking he's being clever (Cleverness) by spouting off conspiracy theories (Bizarreness). That's 5 out of 6 elements, which, by Adams' standards, is comedy gold.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 05, 2005 09:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... don't forget the Naughty list that Michael is now on. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 12:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Hell, Druid, I figured that out before they worked up the courage to tell me. (When they came to tell me, I pointed at Mom, saying, "You're the Tooth Fairy," and then at Dad, saying, "And you're Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.")
... but ... but ...

We have reliable intelligence reports of huge stockpiles of PXDs (Packages for Xmas Distribution) hidden beneath snowbanks at the North Pole...

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 13:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
... don't forget the Naughty list that Michael is now on. [Big Grin]

Hey, I didn't think of that, Snaggy! That would give you a perfect 6 out of 6! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [Applause]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 13:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, I agree with the gist of what Moore says and I still think he's a fat loser. [Wink]

Oh, and my parents never lied to me about such silly things. I really don't need some sugar-coated fantasy about stuff like that.

Erm...uh...sure Santa's out there - Moore is just a mean guy with a megaphone. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 05, 2005 22:43      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
This comic received a lot of feedback. From emails like this...

<TA shakes her head in disbelief> So many comments and observations are running through my head about the various intense reactions to this comic, but if I spend the time to articulate them here I will be up all night typing (and I have an early morning meeting!).

So I will just pass along this one: what people read into things is so often more of a reflection of them than the thing on which they're passing judgment. Those of us who know Nitro and Snaggy through their extensive work will see this as simply one more piece of that work, namely, a humorous comic, albeit with an edge -- not a political message or a piece of slander or a condemnation of one stance or another. (I think it's rather telling that some of those trying to decipher the cartoon's "deep underlying subversive message" can't seem to settle on whether it supports the far right or the far left.) Those who see the comic via a link from elsewhere -- and thus in isolation from the entire JoT universe -- are more likely to interpret it through their own internal biases.

For the record, I think it's an extremely clever cartoon and don't feel the need to insert any deeper meaning into it. If anything, it makes fun of Moore's approach. Anyone trying to infer something about Moore's message from this comic has kind of missed the meaning of humor: an appreciation of the incongruous.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 04:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I see it the psycho Right say "You are either for us or against us. Michael Moore is against us, thus he is the spawn of Satan and must be destroyed utterly and the little pieces of him cast into the outer darkness" and the Left say "He may well be a smug idiot with paranoid delusions of grandeur, but he's our idiot, and any criticism of him is vile treachery to the noble cause".

Sadly there doesn't appear to be much space in the middle ground between them.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 06:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
As I see it the psycho Right say "You are either for us or against us. Michael Moore is against us, thus he is the spawn of Satan and must be destroyed utterly and the little pieces of him cast into the outer darkness" and the Left say "He may well be a smug idiot with paranoid delusions of grandeur, but he's our idiot, and any criticism of him is vile treachery to the noble cause".

Sadly there doesn't appear to be much space in the middle ground between them.

I think Michael Moore has his place. He might be a bit over-the-top, but in a democratic, free speech society, he's allowed to be silly. If all he does is at least gets you thinking and questioning the things around you, then he's done his job.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 18:21      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what a mess that comic made. At least you guys (Snaggy and Nitrozac) are willing to cope with it.

I mean, even I, as a die-hard liberal (though I've been loosening up lately) agree that Michael Moore is really, really out of his mind. I mean, Bowling for Columbine was great, and some of the information in Farenheit 9/11 was decent, but really, he's been leaning twords the idea of shocking people into following, which is no better than what some of the fatcat politicians on both sides of the fence are doing right now.

He is good to laugh at at least. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Tom

Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2005 05:23      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have seen the JoT team and majority of the folks on this forum have liberal leanings. That made the comic that much more enjoyable to me. I took the comic to be an even handed shot at Mr. Moore. One that seemed to cross political boundaries.

Unfortunately, it is the excpetion to the rule here at JoT. I, personally, would like to see the comic stay as apolitical as possible or strive to take shots on both sides equally.

Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't JoT only recently (last year or so) gone into politics?

Best

Danimal

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 20:46      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Giggles.) I loved this response from that site Snaggy linked.

quote:
This cartoon tries to make Moore seem like a heartless bully of children. That is all.

Some Christmas smear from the right. Bully for them.

I never knew Nitrozac and Snaggy were "the right." [Eek!]
Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture