homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » JoT and Cats (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JoT and Cats
typericey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4474

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted October 13, 2005 02:07      Profile for typericey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've discovered JoT only very recently and I think they're neato!

I did myself a favor and checked out the archives too for a good laugh. I did notice that cats are the most featured animal on the comic. why is this so? are felines the official geek-pet?

i'm a self professed geek and a cat lover. is there a coincidence?

Posts: 4 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 02:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac owns at least one cat. Besides, they just look smarter than dogs. [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:02      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats just rule. The world that is.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:12      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meow.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:57      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meow too!

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 08:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Star (left) and Maui (right) agree: Cats rule!

But, while a number of JoTs feature cats, there are also a few that feature dogs and other critters...

IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 08:38      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Affe Zehen on a hot summer day.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 08:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dogs rule.

</allergic to cats and prefers dogs>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 13, 2005 09:48      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -

Moonshine is bored with this thread. [Wink] Cats know they rule.

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 10:07      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Taigh is still interested.

-

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 11:38      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NitroKitty's latest little sleep spot! I could die from the cuteness of all these kitties! [Big Grin]

-

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 11:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Grummash houselions are all very different...
Travis is usually very alert...
Rowan and Bramble are very laid back....
but Bailey doesn't appreciate being disturbed!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 11:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww... [Razz]

At least Nitrokitty's sleeping spot is ostenisibly letting you compute - as opposed to sitting in front of the keyboard. [Razz]

Personally, my preference is cats, as I think I find myself most aligned with their ways - or at least I sort of understand their motivations. [Wink] I don't have a cat...but then again I don't have a dog either... I have taken care of a friend's cat on more than a few occasions - I miss the little sucker. (Of course, the term 'little' ought to be used carefully with him.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 00:01      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love cats ... but I'm incredibly allergic. Can't even be in the same house without my eyes swelling up.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 02:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FREAK CAT!

This pretty little kitty has FIVE TOES! on each foot and TWO TONGUES!

Weird. I wonder how many lives it gets?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 05:34      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I love cats ... but I'm incredibly allergic. Can't even be in the same house without my eyes swelling up.

Ditto. Though if they're around I can't resist petting them, hoping "maybe this time I won't start with the miserable sneezing and red itchy watery eyes". You know what they say about hoping in one hand....

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 10 posted October 14, 2005 09:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
FREAK CAT!

This pretty little kitty has FIVE TOES! on each foot and TWO TONGUES!

Weird. I wonder how many lives it gets?

Talk about lickin' pussy!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 09:59      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why to they have to highlight a circle around the cats head when the story is clearly about the 2 tongues? Do they think people are that dumb that they won't know to look at its mouth? [shake head]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 13:15      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have pictures of my cats handy, but they really aren't necessary. [Wink] I'll try to post some later from home.

My Wedge Antilles looks exactly like Erbo's Maui. They could be clones. And my Aurra Sing has the exact same striping pattern as Erbo's Star, right down to the spots near the nose, but with the coloring of Jessycat's Moonshine.

Erbo, did you steal my cats?

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 14:53      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I don't have pictures of my cats handy, but they really aren't necessary. [Wink] I'll try to post some later from home.

My Wedge Antilles looks exactly like Erbo's Maui. They could be clones. And my Aurra Sing has the exact same striping pattern as Erbo's Star, right down to the spots near the nose, but with the coloring of Jessycat's Moonshine.

All your cats are named after Star Wars ppl? Cool.
Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 14:58      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aww [Smile]
Nitrokitty could be my Beastie's twin.
 -

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 20:02      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh. I love kitty threads [Smile]

Toby: 12 pounds

-

Bruiser: 8 pounds (and full grown, and naughty!)

-

Both are sweethearts, but it's hilarious when they chase eachother around, Bruiser has been using the Alien Face Sucker attack of DOOM! on Toby ever since he was a little fluff-ball (Toby is 2 years older) Nothing funnier than a 2 pound ball of kitten pouncing a 12 pound cat's head. For some reason Toby usually doesn't knock him across the room. They caught their first mouse last Friday (I don't know how it got in the apt). (I'm glad I was out of town and didn't have to deal with it.. dead things == ickyness)

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 21:13      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my cats. I don't have any pictures, but my dad (only because of us "kids") has a grey tabby and a brown havanna that I rescued. My mom has a black and white cat, an orange tabby, and a grey tabby. Dogs are ok, but they are too noisy and dirty. I prefer the smaller, smarter animals that are easy to keep in apartments. Not to mention cats don't cut off your circulation when the sleep on your legs...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 21:15            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

Nope...coincidence. Both our cats came from the Denver Dumb Friends League, which is just down the street from us.

Star's name at the Dumb Friends League was "Miss Kitty," but Pamela wanted to call her "Star," so she's "Miss Star Kitty"; she found a first name. She has that cute little mustache-like splotch of color on her face, but she also has a white spot between her shoulders that looks (roughly) like a five-pointed star. She's about 11 years old, but very spry for her age, and very loving.

Maui was originally called "Hector," but we named him "Maui" because he looks like a little piece of lava rock. (Besides being the name of an island, "Maui" is also the name of a demigod in Hawaiian mythology, who, according to legend, fished the Hawaiian Islands out of the ocean with a magic fishhook, and also captured the sun and made it travel more slowly around the sky.) He's about 4 years old now, and a very cute little fluffball. Pamela is working with him to make him a more loving cat.

Our cats get their care at the world-class Alameda East Veterinary Hospital, which was featured on the Emergency Vets program on Discovery Animal Planet.

IP: Logged
typericey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4474

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 03:24      Profile for typericey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting pics of your kitties!!! you just made my day. [Applause]

i'll try to post a pic of my siamese.

survey says: the feline IS the official geek pet. nuff said...

Posts: 4 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture