homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Paying for Music... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paying for Music...
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2005 20:55      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Same here, actually. You're talking about Dirt Cheap CDs in Pitt Street, right? There's that one, and the other similar one just a few doors away. Plus JB High Fi sometimes has some decent $10 specials, as does Utopia.

Yep.They have a great one in Melbourne too.

Utopia is the greatest store of all time. It is official, even Thorpie says it is fully sick!

They stocked Crazy World of Arthur Brown!

Beat that, RIAA depot stores!

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2005 21:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Same here, actually. You're talking about Dirt Cheap CDs in Pitt Street, right? There's that one, and the other similar one just a few doors away. Plus JB High Fi sometimes has some decent $10 specials, as does Utopia.

Yep.They have a great one in Melbourne too.

Utopia is the greatest store of all time. It is official, even Thorpie says it is fully sick!

They stocked Crazy World of Arthur Brown!

Beat that, RIAA depot stores!

Hmm, and the first GC Sydney moot will probably take place in a record store, unintentionally, by the sounds of things.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 28, 2005 11:37      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<singing>The RIAA...The RIAA took my baby away...</singing>
Then there's:
    "EMI" by the Sex Pistols (1977)   [evil]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2005 20:42      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still buy CDs. They are a higher quality sound than compressed music, and I have the right to rip and play them for myself whenever.

Not everybody listens to music on earbuds or a cheap boombox all the time.

I'm not in the mood to buy Foo Fighters anymore since their label has gone to the dark side and won't play on an iPod (yes I listen to that, too). There is still a lot of good music that has been produced that I down't own for myself without having to wear three sixes on my forehead. Hmmmm, Marving Gaye or 50-Cent? "Let's get it on .... owwwww baby."

Labels can't sell anymore music because there are only so many Britteny Spears/Boy Band Albums/Rap songs a 14-year old can buy before its autistic-like attention span collapses and asks, "Are we there, yet?" (No baby, and until you learn to slow down and understand the trip is 99.9% of the fun, you're not likely to get "there" either Or at least get "there" very often.)

Call me old school, but rap kinda began and ended with that "Chuck, chuck bo-buck" song. At least then we got to pretend we were making up the dirty part.

Take care my fellow Geeks.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2005 23:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel, you managed to hit the point dead on. I buy CDs for much the same reason. Then again, my listening preferences really aren't Top 40, so often I can buy a whole album for $5-$10 USD. I rip them myself, but I do wish that record companies would just put the tracks on the CD in mp3 format as well. I suppose that idea could cause record company execs to choke on their own tongues, though.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 04:31      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
Colonel, you managed to hit the point dead on. I buy CDs for much the same reason. Then again, my listening preferences really aren't Top 40, so often I can buy a whole album for $5-$10 USD. I rip them myself, but I do wish that record companies would just put the tracks on the CD in mp3 format as well. I suppose that idea could cause record company execs to choke on their own tongues, though.

It would probably cause a similar reaction in those who seriously care about the audio quality of the music... a lossy compression master? [weep]

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 10:59      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Call me old school, but rap kinda began and ended with that "Chuck, chuck bo-buck" song. At least then we got to pretend we were making up the dirty part.

Most people have never heard good rap. They sure as hell don't play any of it on the radio.

Try Saul Williams, or Public Enemy.

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (song: "TV, the Drug of a Nation") would be a good introduction as well.

I'd go out and buy Saul Williams's whole back catalog immediately, if it were non-RIAA. But since he's signed a contract with an agent of Satan, sorry, I can't buy it. (RIAA boycott since October 2003.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 11:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

I'd go out and buy Saul Williams's whole back catalog immediately, if it were non-RIAA. But since he's signed a contract with an agent of Satan, sorry, I can't buy it. (RIAA boycott since October 2003.)

I don't know how far back my RIAA boycott goes, but it's somewhere back there aswell.

MPAA, too. Haven't bought any DVDs, CDs, etc in a very long time. I still go see bands at concerts whenever I can.

I still go see movies in theatres all the time. I realise I'm still putting money in the MPAA's pocket, but I'm tryin'..

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 13:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my book "Television Drug of the Nation" and the one that goes "check it out now, funk soul brother" are the only good things to ever come out of the (c)rap music scene... (I tell a lie, I quite liked the Eminem one with the faux Batman video, though I suspect I liked the video more than the music...) /flamebait...

And hey, what I think of it is purely my opinion... YMMV etc. [Wink] I'm just an old fart anyhow... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 19:25      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, fat boy slim is more techno than rap. That's the "right abt now" guy.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 19:43      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still buy CDs. They are a higher quality sound than compressed music,
mp3 is lossy, yes. But, ogg is not. Depending on the ripping method, you may lose data in the step from CD to wav... But in the long run I cannot tell the difference.

and I have the right to rip and play them for myself whenever.
The way I treat my CDs, if I didn't rip them I'll be listening to

Not everybody listens to music on earbuds or a cheap boombox all the time.
Not all people have cheap earbuds and "boombox" type speakers on their machines that play mp3's and ogg. I would love an iPod and one of Bose's new iPod doc speakers.

Call me old school,
If you insist!

but rap kinda began and ended with that "Chuck, chuck bo-buck" song.
Which wasn't rap. But that may be your point. I'm not a fan of Rap, but there are a very select few songs I like.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 20:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
mp3 is lossy, yes. But, ogg is not.

I beg to differ

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 20:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I still buy CDs. They are a higher quality sound than compressed music,
mp3 is lossy, yes. But, ogg is not. Depending on the ripping method, you may lose data in the step from CD to wav... But in the long run I cannot tell the difference.

Bullshit!

Ogg [Vorbis] is a lossy compression scheme - it's just patent free & F/LOSS.

FLAC, on the other hand, which is now a related project, is Free Lossless Audio Compression.

WAVE is a perfect copy of the audio from a CD. So is AIFF (IIRC). If you want to be pedantic about quality - the real loss of audio quality might be in the move from original source to CD, as it goes through an ADC...which /might/ miss just a little something. If you want to be sure you get everything, then you need to get vinyl. [Wink] Just don't play it more than 5 times... [Razz]

Mind you, I also take issue with the fact that I'd be paying for a lesser quality file if I bought from iTMS, vs. CD, but I suppose that wouldn't bother me too much if I bought a handful of them. Still...I'm not willing to fork over my CC info to iTMS, as I fear there could be more than a few debits, as their collection is pretty decent. I'll stick with buying 1 CD every 6 months or so. [Wink] (And then, one of the first things I do is `grip` it to Ogg. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 05:31      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
(And then, one of the first things I do is `grip` it to Ogg. [Big Grin] )

I'm an abcde fan myself.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 06:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm an abcde fan myself.
Beautiful software it is.

Ogg is also a little bit better about it's lossy encoding (at least I think.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 11:31      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... although the reference extends beyond just the music industry ...
quote:
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
Itís a competitive world
Everything counts in large amounts
    -- Depeche Mode, "Everything Counts"

(just played on the radio)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:12      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm an abcde fan myself.
Seconded, abcde is very nice. Whenever I rerip all my CDs to Vorbis, good ol trusty abcde is what I'll use...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 09:10      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...one of the first things I do is `grip` it to Ogg. [Big Grin] )

Another vote for grip here. I like grip because my machine is not fast enough to encode as fast as it rips, while it's ripping at the same time. Grip allows me to rip a stack of CDs as fast as the audio can be extracted, and then I don't have to sit around for the encoding (which speeds up greatly when the ripping's done).
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture