homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » The Official "Admit It" thread....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Official "Admit It" thread....
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 04:25      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I wasn't at the premiere (believe it or not, premieres were not a Big Deal for us rank-and-file moviegoers in those days), I saw Star Wars ("Episode IV" not included) in that first summer of 1977, when I was 12.

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 05:32      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Star Wars" (A New Hope, ep IV, whatever you wish to call it retroactively) on its original run too (although I seem to recall seeing it in winter... maybe it was just a few months after it first came to theaters). I was 7 or 8.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 08:17      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here is the greatest travesty of all time.

I didn't see any of the Star Wars until around '87.

Then again I didn't really see any movies until about '85.

And that isn't because I was too young to watch movies either. Just never went. And I didn't even go into a real movie theatre until I was about 12.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 11:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first movie I saw in the theatres was "The Santa Clause" or maybe "The Air Up There." I'm too lazy to check imdb right now to see which was released first.

I've never watched any of the Star Wars movies. Implausible stuff like that has never interested me. Plus, it's rather fun getting reactions from people who think everyone should watch the series. [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 11:26      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I've never watched any of the Star Wars movies. Implausible stuff like that has never interested me. Plus, it's rather fun getting reactions from people who think everyone should watch the series. [Wink]

You mean like, "BLASPHEMER!"? [Big Grin]

First movie I saw in a theater would have been the Disney cartoon The Rescuers. We did see Star Wars: A New Hope (but this was before the "A New Hope" bit was added on) that first year, in '77. I would've been around 9. Saw the other two of the first series in theaters as well. Only got to see Phantom Menace on a hotel pay-per-view system. Never did see Attack of the Clones.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 15:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the first Star Wars movie on my first ever official 'date'.

The movie was good, the date went badly [Frown]

Frankly, I wouldn't give you tuppence for any of the subsequent Star Bores movies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 08:32      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad took my brother and I to see the original/New Hope/episode four when it came out in 1977. Ah memories. [hearts]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2005 09:22      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rescuers note gives me a chance to add what I left out of my original post. We had originally gone to the theater to see that movie... but SW was showing as well, and I had seen an article in the weekly in-school Scholastic magazine talking about the film. So, we saw that instead (it became the first movie I ever went to more than once), and to this day I have never seen The Rescuers.

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 15:45      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rescuers ... wow that was a nostalgia trip. That was the first video I ever saw, before I ever saw a movie theater. Well, not The Rescuers - I 'm too young for that. But the sequel, The Rescuers Down Under. Although, actually, I think my copy was dubbed in German and called, "Bernard und Bianca im Kangarooland".
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
HypedOnMuffins
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3760

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2005 20:39      Profile for HypedOnMuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenity is going to be the next sci-fi thing you guys... just you wait!

<a href="http://www.serenitymovie.com/">Be there september 30,</a>

Or just be square!!!

--------------------
It's really rude to hate muffins when they so like you! Muffins are quite fond of people, why don't you like them too?

Posts: 12 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 23:24      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see it back then... Seeing as how I didn't exist and all [Razz]

First time I saw it was in '92 I believe... When I was 6. I became relatively obsessed with the series for the next few years after that, heh.

Still love Star Wars, but, more and more I seem to find issues with the series... Well, more specifically, with George Lucas, heh.

Kinda wish they were gonna go through with remakes of the 4,5, and 6, and go on to make 7, 8, and 9... As far as remakes go, I can understand not going there (after all, they are cult classics now...), but, the other three would be great...

Or, better, movies made out of some of the books written by other authors... Some would be pretty awsome movies.

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 18:22      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw episode IV in the summer of '77. My friend Pete (who I work for today) was driving a car with at least 5 guys in it. He got into a turn lane too early and hit the curb, popping the tire. My brother ran the 1/4 mile to the theatre to buy the tickets while the rest of us did the fastest tire change I have ever seen outside the pits of a racetrack. We actually lifted the car rather than fooling around with the jack.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 20:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it in '77 too. It was even better the second time when I sat in the third row under the influence of a certain smokeable substance. It gave a whole new perspective of the whole thing. I even understood what the droids were saying. [Eek!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 22:07      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markhb:
...and to this day I have never seen The Rescuers.

Well, you didn't miss too much. If you ever feel the lack, just keep watching either Disney Channel or Toon Disney; they'll show it again eventually.

I don't see DVDs for Attack of the Clones in the stores these days, but I do see Phantom Menace DVDs a lot. Maybe I should wait for Lucas to dork around with the first trilogy and release a super-deluxe "first three" trilogy box set.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 23:41      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the fact that my mother is a Disney freak, I own both "The Rescuers" AND "The Rescuers Down Under". I'm far too young to have seen any of the original star wars eps. in the theaters

quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
The Rescuers ... wow that was a nostalgia trip. That was the first video I ever saw, before I ever saw a movie theater. Well, not The Rescuers - I 'm too young for that. But the sequel, The Rescuers Down Under. Although, actually, I think my copy was dubbed in German and called, "Bernard und Bianca im Kangarooland".

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture