homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Star Trek, life, the universe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek, life, the universe
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 09:17      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here is a really big question, but before I ask it let me prepare you for my ignorance.

I have never seen a Star Trek movie, or episode. The reason ... I'm a Star Wars nerd. My name is Luke, the first movie I ever saw was Empire Strikes Back, I even own a working R2 unit.

So with that said, and seeing today's JoT, I was wondering if Enterprise was really bad or not? If so why is that? And then of course, what was your favorite series of Star Trek?

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 11, 2005 10:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise is bad, imho. [Big Grin]

However Star Trek the original series is the best, I order you to go out and watch some of those episodes! In particular City at the Edge of Forever, or The Menagerie. This is some of the best sci-fi on TV and the most fun to watch too. [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kniLnamiJ-neB
Newbie Larva
Member # 3865

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 11, 2005 11:12      Profile for kniLnamiJ-neB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all honesty, it depends on what you're looking for. The old Star Trek series (and the first part of the Next Generation) tended to deal with current events. It was like a commentary on what was going on in the world, but put in a different environment. Some of those episodes, while the acting may have been kinda cheesy, have really powerful themes. The newer series seem to be concentrating on edgy sci-fi stuff with more battle and special effects. While they include the commentary on current events, it's not near as much of a focus as it is a script that gives a chance to do more special effects. If you preferred Attack of the Clones over The Empire Strikes Back, you'll probably like the newer series of Star Trek (Voyager, some Deep Space 9, and Enterprise) better than the old-school originals and TNG.

--------------------
Ben

"If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum." - Anonymous

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 11:37      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A working R2 unit? I'd love to see the specs on that ;-)

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 13:18      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the R2 ... kind of cool, kind of lame. He has built in sonar, so you can play hide and go seek in the dark. Has voice commands, and can follow you ... almost. Door frames tend to freak him out, and he starts following them, then he doesn't really go anywhere.

About the original Star Trek, if it is a commentary on life, it reminds me of the original Twilight Zone, since that is also a commentary on life.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 13:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never liked even the original series. It always seemed so ponderous solemn and worthy, and William Shatner was (and still is) just far too vain for my taste.

I enjoyed the sly wit and subversive humour of Dr Who of the Tom Baker era much more, which incidentally the new series recaptures well. Christopher Eccleston plays him as an entertaining but morally ambiguous and dangerous character. He also has a good chemistry with Mrs Evans. Shame he's leaving after one series, but I suppose it's always good to leave people wanting more.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 14:07      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ... don't like ... William .... Shat... ner? ... But ... he ... speaks so ... well.
Captain M.
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3528

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted May 12, 2005 01:07      Profile for Captain M.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great comic commentary on Enterprise-- I much agree! Love these Star Trek comics... I have the Picard's Blog one on my wall! [Smile]

About Enterprise, Star Trek:

Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek's creator was only in charge of the original Star Trek and The Next Generation (for most of its run). I think the original is a real classic, and TNG was the pinnacle of Star Trek. Deep Space Nine did not represents Roddenberry's (and Star Trek's) ideals, in my opinion. Voyager deserves some mention and was generally a good series, but did not come close to TNG.

And Enterprise totally blew it since Episode #1. It broke the continuity between everything since the first episode, and frankly, I found it boring, which I never found Star Trek to be, even DS9 which I did not like. It also borrowed way too much from technologies in TNG, DS9 and Voyager to be pre-original Star Trek.

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 06:12      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Christopher Eccleston plays him as an entertaining but morally ambiguous and dangerous character. He also has a good chemistry with Mrs Evans. Shame he's leaving after one series, but I suppose it's always good to leave people wanting more.

Speaking of wanting more have you seen the Doctor Who exhibition on the pier yet?
I'm hoping to go this weekend when I pick up my SW:TRotS.

Ha, TRotS! Can't believe I didn't notice that before. I hope that isn't a prediction for the new film.
(For reference in the UK having The Trots is a polite way saying you have diere... diare... diareh... {jeez, grabs dictionary} diarrhoea)

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 06:54      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit it - I actually liked Enterprise. Well - I liked parts of it. Some of the episodes were annoying, and the whole time-travel thing is just a cliche that is annoying as all hell. Then again each of the series seemed to use that.

I never got into the original - they were "ok" but just didn't trip my trigger. TNG was the best in my opinion, followed by Voyager. DS9 I again never really got into. I never watched many of the Voyager episodes for one reason or another, but those that I did see were pretty good.

Maybe I've like Enterprise just because now I have Tivo and was able to actually see them. I have never been one to drop everything at say 8pm on Wednesday for a show. TNG was also that way for me because when I was first married (man that was a while ago now...) there were always two episodes on back-to-back at 6 and 7pm (I think) every week-night. Mrs. Doco and I would therefore regularly watch at least one and over the course of several months got to see all the episodes.

As for the theme song - I actually don't think it's that bad..... but I still FF through it most of the time.... I blame it on Tivo getting me used to watching a "1 hour" show in 40-45 minutes.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
KingVance
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4051

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 09:15      Profile for KingVance   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Next Generation is the best.

Enterprise would be next.

Original series laid some good groundwork and all but I did not really dig it alot. Maybe because its older than I am and I couldnt get over the effects...or lack thereof. Call me an effects whore if you must.

Enterprise is really cool. Tepal makes it all worth it. Plus it was really cool when they showed their fear of the transporter when it was first being developed.

Posts: 19 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture