homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » What are some of your most precious Internet moments? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What are some of your most precious Internet moments?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 31, 2005 22:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relating to the comic, what are some of your most cherished Internet moments?

A few of mine would be...

-logging on to Pine with my old SE.
-watching Netscape Navigator's throbber... don't ask me why, but I loved it... the apocalyptic comets colliding with the N planet. [Big Grin] [Geek]
-the early days of Hotline. [evil]
-watching Jobs introduce the first iMac.... Reality Distortion Field at it's finest.
- and of course, watching this little place grow. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted March 31, 2005 22:49      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- waiting for a page to load over 2600(that was fast!) baud modem dialed up to prodigy

- seeing 1st set of big boobies online [Big Grin]

- downloading (what seemed to be) the entire internet within 1 week of getting highspeed connection

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 22:58      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My most precious moment was when we began having the little stars under our names in the forums here. Pretty. [Big Grin]
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 31, 2005 23:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finding JoT and the Forums. Seeing my website and having my own domain.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 00:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Googling myself and I was the top link!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 00:22      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine would have to be getting married and having our wedding streamed live online 5 years ago today [Big Grin]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 00:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April 22, 2001...Electric Minds goes live once again, after my friends and I successfully rescued it from oblivion. Here's what I wrote that day:
quote:
The Third Age of Electric Minds has begun. As with the Third Age of Mankind in Babylon 5, we're now on our own. We're glad to have you join us as we embark on this journey. I'm pretty sure it won't be boring.
And it certainly hasn't been.
IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 04:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first peek at Internet in Polytechique (Montréal), on a 386 with Mosaic (or was it Lynx? all I remember fur sure is the browser didn't support images), in 1994. There were some students offering to show what the Internet was. I still remember wich computer lab, and where the computer was (last row, back to the wall, second computer from the left).

Getting my first personnal computer and a second phone line to hook it to the Internet.

The first time I used a browser that supported images (I think it was Netscape 2.0).

eWorld. (I was already using the nickname "Stereo" by then.)

eWorld's skins. The Atlantis* and Dragon* were my bests. (*Real skins' names might not be the same.)

I believe my first online purchase was for Spiderweb Software's Exile II. Most of my early purchases were sharewares.

And then there's some more, but I'll spare you.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 05:00      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
-watching Netscape Navigator's throbber... don't ask me why, but I loved it... the apocalyptic comets colliding with the N planet. [Big Grin] [Geek]

Oh, but the really cool throbber was the one you got after putting about:mozilla into the URL bar in Netscape. That's when the green fire-breathing lizard came out to play.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 05:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really have any of those.. except maybe watching my eBusiness engine come to life over the last 3 years or so. It's getting sexier by the day...
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 06:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day I downloaded a piece of software off the net and realized that it had taken less time to do that than to load it into memory off the floppy on my first PC.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 06:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
- waiting for a page to load over 2600(that was fast!) baud modem dialed up to prodigy

Am I correct in assuming you meant 2400, and have confused it with the frequency at which you could blow a whistle at to screw with phone systems many moons ago? [Smile]
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 07:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a long time ago, but I remember my first login to the County Library to reserve a book, no pages or frames just text based. The modum speed ? 600 it was one step up from the ones that you had to lay the phone into a cradle and adjust the volume controls.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 01, 2005 08:18      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Geekculture is the first BBS I ever posted to in my life.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:24      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FTPing a copy of Chuck Forsberg's Z-modem protocol for the VAX I had a shell account on. The only way I could transfer files was by Kermit before then. I thought the VAX admins might catch me.

I was dialing into the VAX using SLAC's VLT (Valiant Little Terminal, Stanford Linear Accelerator's admins even sent me a user manual when I mailed away for one!) for the Amiga. I FTPed software to my VAX account, and then used Kermit to transfer it home. It took all night via Kermit.

Z-modem was twice as fast!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 01, 2005 08:42      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my lil sis adds and update or photo to her site.

[hearts] [crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:43      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Realizing that Gmail's 1GB wasn't an April Fool's joke
-seeing Wikipedia for the first time
-Playing text adv. games with my dad's 9600 modem

BTW ... kindergarten translates from German as child garden (garden of children), but there's only 1 D, in kinder. It's kindergarTen.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Mine would have to be getting married and having our wedding streamed live online 5 years ago today [Big Grin]

Does that mean you didn't live stream the honeymoon?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 09:01      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember connecting to various terminals with my Commodore64 and a 300 baud modem. I don't recall there being much to look at at as this was 1984 or 1985.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 09:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
-Realizing that Gmail's 1GB wasn't an April Fool's joke
-seeing Wikipedia for the first time
-Playing text adv. games with my dad's 9600 modem

BTW ... kindergarten translates from German as child garden (garden of children), but there's only 1 D, in kinder. It's kindergarTen.

Or perhaps today's increase (however slowly) to 2GB? [Smile]
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 10:39      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing the original Neverwinter Nights [on AOL!].

Oh yeah, and this one time that some people drew me into a comic. That was kinda cool. What was that site again?.... [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 06:33      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet moments eh?

1) When I first visited neopets.com *for shame! FOR SHAAAAME!!

2) When I first decided to GIVE UP neopets.com

3) When I finished my very first website at geocities!

And others [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moped-rider
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 09:00      Profile for moped-rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best internet moment was buying DiabloII getting seriously addicted. My wife telling me i love diabloII more and than her and chucking me out.Forcing me to meet the real woman of my life.... [Big Grin] HAPPY DAYS.....

--------------------
I wouldnt give him the cheese of me qu** two stroke Eddie. http://www.macclads.co.uk/index.html

Posts: 45 | From: warwickshire england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ATMB
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3776

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted April 02, 2005 11:05      Profile for ATMB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...going to lego.com (and playboy.com) when I first got internet connection

and...yes, running my first geocities FREE WEB SITE [Smile]

and...whoa the first time I heard 56K brand new modem tune!!!

Posts: 3 | From: Italy | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 11:25      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my cherished moments (in no particular order):

* setting up the network in my house and being able to use multiple computers on the internet at once
* finding out about the BOFH, Wikipedia, the Jargon File, and, of course, GC
* my first time playing Unreal Tournament over a network

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture