homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » How does the hippo hold his sign?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How does the hippo hold his sign?
codazzo
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3047

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 03, 2005 05:52      Profile for codazzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL :D
How can he do that?
By the way, is groundhog day a canadian holiday? I've never heard of it

Posts: 36 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 07:22      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an American holiday. If the groundhog comes out of his hole and sees his shadow, more winter. If he doesn't, we'll have an early spring. At least, that's the superstition. It's not really a holiday... more of a nod to old wives-tales.

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 03, 2005 08:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hippo is currently not holding his sign... he got tired while waiting for Sloth and stuck it in the ground. [Big Grin]

Groundhog Day is celebrated in Canada too. Each year, on February 2nd, Wiarton Willie, the albino groundhog, predicts spring's arrival. And everybody knows that albino groundhogs have a much better record of predicting the weather than regular groundhogs. [Razz]

In addition, many insist that Wiarton Willie possesses an uncanny ability to predict because he was born exactly on the 45th parallel, midway between the Equator and the North Pole.

[Geek]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 09:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, sumnchai! Nice .sig! Why not include the whole novel? LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 09:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
The Hippo is currently not holding his sign... he got tired while waiting for Sloth and stuck it in the ground. [Big Grin]

Groundhog Day is celebrated in Canada too. Each year, on February 2nd, Wiarton Willie, the albino groundhog, predicts spring's arrival. And everybody knows that albino groundhogs have a much better record of predicting the weather than regular groundhogs. [Razz]

In addition, many insist that Wiarton Willie possesses an uncanny ability to predict because he was born exactly on the 45th parallel, midway between the Equator and the North Pole.

[Geek]

They're on what, the 4th Wiarton willie now since the others died?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 03, 2005 10:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some Willie links.. [Smile]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/groundhogday/

http://offpollen.typepad.com/pollenatrix/2004/05/

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 11:23      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Wow, sumnchai! Nice .sig! Why not include the whole novel? LOL [Big Grin]

I tried. My fingers got tired. [Razz]

--------------------

My Photos

N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 12:36      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wanted to vote for platypus day on the joypoll, but there was no such option [Frown]

Wisconsin has its own groundhog. Jimmy from Sun Prarie. http://www.groundhogcentral.com/

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 12:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sumnchai:
It's an American holiday. If the groundhog comes out of his hole and sees his shadow, more winter. If he doesn't, we'll have an early spring.

<pragmatist>
So poke his eyes out
</pragmatist>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 15:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
It's an American holiday. If the groundhog comes out of his hole and sees his shadow, more winter. If he doesn't, we'll have an early spring.

<pragmatist>
So poke his eyes out
</pragmatist>

That's no help. It's so sunny in Sun Prairie even a blind groundhog could see his shadow! Take Jimmy up North aways, say around Eagle River and get 'im lost in the deep woods. No shadows there.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 17:43      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[conspiracy]
Couldn't we just KILL the damn rat?
[/conspiracy]

--------------------

My Photos

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 19:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[conspiracy]
Couldn't we just KILL the damn rat?
[/conspiracy]

[Frown]
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 04:55      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Xanthine - I was in a foul mood when I posted. Organic chemistry homework. [crazy]

--------------------

My Photos

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture