homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Grammar lesson, anyone? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Grammar lesson, anyone?
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 19:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
//Actually, "csk" isn't capitalised, either [Razz]

Now you tell me?! [Eek!]

I've been reading it as caps ever since I came to this board. Hmm, I wonder if that's my dyslexia showing? [Confused]

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. I was just being a pedant [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 19:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<continue pedant>
In civilized countries we spell it "capitalized." Then again, we spell it "civilized," too.

And yes, it is spelled "it." [Razz]

</continue pedant>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 19:38      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

if (not $hungry) { &dont_eat(); }

code:
else {
chop ($uey);
}

[Big Grin]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 19:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't punctuation inside quotes legitimate in the UK? Certainly makes sense to me. I'd hate to tell a newbie to go into vi and do a "dd." Think of the consequences, Rhonnwyn!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 19:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In civilized countries we spell it "capitalized." Then again, we spell it "civilized," too.

Hmm, I wonder what the English would say to that. You know, invented the English language, those ones? [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 20:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magefile, you mean punctuation outside quotes, right?

Typically, punctuation such as commas and periods belong inside the quotation marks. Exclamation points and question marks go outside the quotation marks unless they have relevance to the phrase contained within the quotation marks.

"Jon, did you get the pizza?" I asked.

"Thanks for getting the pizza," I said to Jon.

Exactly what is the "meaning of life"?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 20:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<continue pedant>

</continue pedant>

That's malformed XML, Rhonwyyn. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9333 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 20:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Isn't punctuation inside quotes legitimate in the UK? Certainly makes sense to me. I'd hate to tell a newbie to go into vi and do a "dd." Think of the consequences, Rhonnwyn!

Think how bad it would be if they typed the double quotation marks, too. For *nix commands, I usually stick to backticks. (e.g. Type `foo bar baz`. Punctuation outside the backticks is obviously fine in such a case, though I often let the backtick be my closing punctuation. [That may be wrong - I'm not really sure what grammar pedants have to say about code.])

You're better off to use white space, and possibly some form of line delimiters, HTML, or UBB, such as:
code:
<code>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda</code>

-or-

-----------------
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
-----------------

In the case of vi, it's a little hairer, and I'd just point them at the man page. [Wink] Besides, doesn't everyone know how to use vi? It's so easy to use, no wonder it's #1!

:wq

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9333 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 20:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<continue pedant>

"America is the first country to have gone from barbarism to decadence without the usual intervening period of civilization."
-- Oscar Wilde

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 20:36      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
England is also the country that did away with Edwardian English. Ain't it? (By the by, there is a reason "ain't" is part of the language - because it used to be proper.)

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 21:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
</continue pedant>
That's malformed XML, Rhonwyyn. [Wink]
I've never claimed to code, dman. I'm just assimilating what I've observed. [Razz] I s'pose the correct form would've been </pedant>? However, since I was continuing the pedant from csk's post, I figured I'd have to end the continued pedant, no?

In all honesty, the only codes I can read/write half-decently are Perl and HTML, but even then they look like a kindergartner's attempt to converse like an adult. [Frown]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 21:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've never claimed to code, dman. I'm just assimilating what I've observed. [Razz]

Hey, I'm the one doing the assimilating around here! [Wink]

quote:
In all honesty, the only code I can read/write half-decently is Perl, but even then it looks like a kindergartner's attempt to converse like a adult.
Sounds like you're fluent in Perl to me, then [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 21:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh blast, csk. Why'd you have to quote my pre-edited comment? Now my grammar mistake is there for everyone to see! :pout:

But thanks for the compliment! [Razz]

(Chalk it up to Clipper to cure me of my aversion to beginning sentences with conjunctions! :/)

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 22:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh blast, csk. Why'd you have to quote my pre-edited comment? Now my grammar mistake is there for everyone to see! :pout:

Because I have no life other than sitting here pressing Ctrl-R all day?

/Only partly true. Honest!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

MacGoldstein
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1135

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 31, 2005 23:47      Profile for MacGoldstein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I wasn't expecting this post to garner so many replies. I'm a long time-reader, first time poster type thing (well, I lurked for years), so I am used to the slashdot scene where I would have immediately been called a troll and modded down. Interesting.

Apparently there are intelligent people here capable of rationally discussing even tangental topics.

And about ain't... it was a contraction of am not, but never really was awarded any sort of legitimacy by the ruling grammar classes. They took offense at the fact that it could not be conceivably derived from any of the words from which it was supposed to have come. Nevertheless, it still enjoys use today. I rather liked the American Heritage Board's rant about it though:

quote:
The stigmatization of ain't leaves us with no happy alternative for use in first-person questions. The widely used aren't I? though illogical, was found acceptable for use in speech by a majority of the Usage Panel in an earlier survey, but in writing there is no acceptable substitute for the stilted am I not?
Aren't I? Of course I are.

Ok, back to combinatorics.

Posts: 30 | From: Temple, Texas, United States | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 02:43      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
<continue pedant>

</continue pedant>

I though that in civilised countries we spell it "capitalised." [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Silly CSK!!

Two exclamation marks ?
<Discworld reference>
Actually, it is when there are five exclamation marks that we have to start to worry.
</Discworld reference>

(7)

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Papa
Geek
Member # 172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 02:59      Profile for Papa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacGoldstein:

Sorry to rant so much, but I love language, grammar, linguistics, the whole bit, so forgive me. If anyone that's not a CS-Math major (not me) could be so kind to comment upon the legitimacy of my concerns, feel welcome to do so (English professors especially so). Otherwise...

Shouldn't that be "not I"? [Smile]

Have you looked at http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=dictionary&nav=messages ? You'd be right at home there, really. [Smile]

--------------------
Papa
Keeper of The Book

Posts: 173 | From: Syracuse, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Papa
Geek
Member # 172

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 01, 2005 03:17      Profile for Papa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Silly CSK!! The comma goes within the quotation marks, not outside of them!

Sorry, Rhonwyyn, that's a US English rule. CSK is in Australia. They put the commas and full stops outside the quote marks.

--------------------
Papa
Keeper of The Book

Posts: 173 | From: Syracuse, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 05:54      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Silly CSK!! The comma goes within the quotation marks, not outside of them!

This is one of the cases where I tend to disagree with my elementary school teachers. And I think most people who have done a substantial amount of computer programming agree with me.

The following example:

quote:
"Must of," huh.
may be correct to 60-year-olds, but the comma is not part of the quotation (Snaggy did not have one in that position), and so it makes no sense to enclose it within the quotation marks. The comma in this example:

quote:
"Must of", huh.
shows that the quotation "Must of" is being used as a separate entity, and that the "huh" is a comment or interjection which applies to the quoted entity. Compare to:

quote:
Dell, eh? What a crappy computer!
quote:
Belt and suspenders, huh?

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 06:04      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For *nix commands, I usually stick to backticks. (e.g. Type `foo bar baz`. Punctuation outside the backticks is obviously fine in such a case, though I often let the backtick be my closing punctuation.

That falls apart incredibly easily once you start getting into complex shell commands where single quotes ('), double quotes (") and backquotes (`) are all used together, and must not be mixed up. In IRC, the only realistic way to delimit a command is with whitespace, either horizontally (I usually use three spaces), or vertically (if you're in a channel where you can "flood" with multiple lines, and if the segment is short enough).

code:
<greycat> Try this:   for ((i=0; i<10; i++)); do echo "$i: `date +%H:%M:%S`"; sleep 1; done   and adjust it to suit your needs

That sort of thing. (Let's hope that the bracket-code-bracket thing preserves the spaces....)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 06:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Not assuming anyone would, but if you're running Linux, don't ever run this command. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn
I s'pose the correct form would've been </pedant>?

No, </continue>
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 08:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, 'cause you're ceasing the verb, not the direct object. Makes sense. Thanks, DNM! [Smile]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 08:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahh, 'cause you're ceasing the verb, not the direct object. Makes sense. Thanks, DNM! [Smile]

The type of word isn't necessarily relevant. It's just what the opening tag was.

<cookie cutter></cookie>
<hungrily ate></hungrily>
<killed women></killed>

There's also self-closing tags:

<chicken />

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 20:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me goes off to brush up on his XML - I didn't know you could have multiple bare words without attributes. I may very well be wrong, though.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 06:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
/me goes off to brush up on his XML - I didn't know you could have multiple bare words without attributes. I may very well be wrong, though.

You can't. I was just pointing out the obvious and leaving the pedantic to you. [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture