homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Spelling alert (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spelling alert
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 05:22      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the 2005-01-03 joypoll

The correct spelling of the word is "dying", not "dieing". [Geek]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 06:52      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Canadians spell it that way. But if you look at the way I spell in most of my posts I would never know the difference.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 06:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we don't. It's dying. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 03, 2005 08:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's not dyeing? [Razz]

I prefer the look of the ie over the y... not that there's anything wrong with that [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Note:
BBedit passes "dieing" in a spell check, as does (ironically for this instance) Word.

heh, like I use spell checks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 09:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From dictionary.com

tr.v. died, die∑ing, dies
To cut, form, or stamp with or as if with a die.

If you want the person to expire, it is dying. Sorry, Snagster. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 03, 2005 09:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bah! yore awl gaye!

[hearts]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 09:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're being nitpicky about the poll, here's another one:

Apple's top secret copycat version of the the iProp propeller beanie.

EDIT: Can someone explain today's JoT to me? I don't get the headless Mac Freak caption with the picture.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 09:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be mistaken. I think it is referring to the new sub $500 Mac. More or less a strange duck for the company in general. Cheap and without a built in monitor. Definitely a freak for Apple.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 03, 2005 10:58      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tired of people accusing our leaders of everything that goes wrong in this world. They can't possibly check everything that somebody else does. If you think you can do better, do something about it. I'm sick of all you PC people. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 13:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like this thread
the word is "dead"

(Or should've been) [Roll Eyes]

I'm with GMx and Apple - I think.
Wait a minute... what's that say in my signature line? Oh yeah. That. What that says.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sidney
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:03      Profile for Sidney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I may be mistaken. I think it is referring to the new sub $500 Mac.

Sub $500 Mac? Where?
Posts: 16 | From: Montclair, NJ | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sidney:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I may be mistaken. I think it is referring to the new sub $500 Mac.

Sub $500 Mac? Where?
There's a story going around that Apple will soon announce an iMac without a screen, which makes a lot of sense as most potential customers already have a monitor they could use, and it makes it noticably cheaper to 'switch'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 16:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did Nitro and Snaggy forgo the posting of a relevancy link to avoid the wrath of Apple's Legal Geniuses?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 20:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, what, like this?
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134742&cid=11246218

I think it's relevant, anyway. [Big Grin]

I've never worn a beret before, though - can't say it would terribly good on me... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 21:04      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised no one linked the Penny Arcade strip in a reply to that /. comment, actually.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 21:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I'm surprised no one linked the Penny Arcade strip in a reply to that /. comment, actually.

They did, actually. Read all they way down...

(#11249157, that is - you might be at a higher score cutoff)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 21:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, it just didn't quite hit my 2 or greater rated threshold. That's what they get for commenting on moderation in the comment [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 05:07      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny Arcade Mac Elitist Strip

Why bother making everyone jump through three different hoops to get it? (You can't jump straight to a comment ID on slashdot without also having the story ID, so I had to follow dman's link to get to the story (since "headless mac" didn't turn it up, or at least, it wasn't obvious to me that the "headless mac" was just a subthread of the "office suite" story...), and then manually replace the cid= parameter with dman's comment number, and then follow the hyperlink in the comment to finally get to the comic. And it turns out to be one I'd even seen before. I just didn't know that was the one you were talking about. [ohwell] )

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 05:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Penny Arcade Mac Elitist Strip

Why bother making everyone jump through three different hoops to get it?

Sorry, I figured everyone had seen it the last two or three times I posted the link here [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 07:31      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I liked this site I found while reading the /. thread D Man linked to:
Elite Designers against IKEA

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 16:59      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia!

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 17:15      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Maybe it's just me, but these seems a bit dramatic for a thread about a simple misspelling. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 17:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Maybe it's just me, but these seems a bit dramatic for a thread about a simple misspelling. [Roll Eyes]
Where's your spirit of adventure, man? [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<for the record>
Don't know you people, never met you, never heard of you, never even read this thread
</for the record>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 04, 2005 18:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
<for the record>
Don't know you people, never met you, never heard of you, never even read this thread
</for the record>

Hey TFD! Thanks for clearin' that up. [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture