homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Funniest JoT ever. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Funniest JoT ever.
God
Geek Larva
Member # 2398

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 01:45      Profile for God         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by God:
I've issued a restraining order stating that he cannot come within 100 feet of me.

But ... aren't you omnipresent?
Yes. [Smile] Exactly. You're beginning to catch on... [Wink]

--------------------
Satan? What a moron!

Posts: 22 | From: Heaven | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 02:56      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Why do I find it ironic that the people who don't like non Americans expressing an opinion about American politics are often the same people who support Americans going into foreign countries (eg Iraq) to interfere with their internal affairs. Pot, meet kettle.

I said nothing about supporting a war. What I said was that knowing that some of the comics here are coming from people who are not from the US throws it into a different light for me.

I have nothing against anyone from another country having a say in what happens relative to the US and its foreign policies. The world should have a say in how the countries in the world play with each other.

The Presidential election is not world poltics. While it gets a lot of attention on the world stage and while who ever is elected will impact US foreign relations the US Presidential elections is internal US politics and to me that is where the line is drawn. I am confident that there are some who will see it all as one and disagree. That's just life.

Me, personally, I might or might not like the way England or France or some other country does things on the world stage but I am gong to keep my opinion about its elections and other internal politics to myself because, unless I am a card carrying member of that country, I don't really feel like I have a right to an opinion on those matters.

Dragonman, was it I whom you referred to as "New Fool?" If that is the case I do not understand why you felt a need to personaly attack me. I have made no attacks against you and respectfully request the same courtesy.

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 03:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danimal I would buy your whole argument, if your government showed the rest of the world some respect. But at present it seems intent on destroying or otherwise neutering all world wide forums and institutions, and agrees to be bound by international obligations and treaties only so far as there is no conflict whatsoever with its own self interest.

The consequence is I feel that I am living in a small and unimportant outpost of an uncaring US empire, and the words "no taxation without representation" keep flickering in the back of my brain. The US is the 800 lb gorilla in the world, and seems to be modelling its ethics and strategy on those of Microsoft.

That is why the rest of the world takes a passing interest in who is the next President of the US.

But welcome to our forums. I hope you enjoy your time here.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 04:13      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Danimal I would buy your whole argument, if your government showed the rest of the world some respect. But at present it seems intent on destroying or otherwise neutering all world wide forums and institutions, and agrees to be bound by international obligations and treaties only so far as there is no conflict whatsoever with its own self interest.

The consequence is I feel that I am living in a small and unimportant outpost of an uncaring US empire, and the words "no taxation without representation" keep flickering in the back of my brain. The US is the 800 lb gorilla in the world, and seems to be modelling its ethics and strategy on those of Microsoft.

That is why the rest of the world takes a passing interest in who is the next President of the US.

But welcome to our forums. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Thank you for your polite and unantagonistic reply. And thanks for the welcome.

As you can tell, I am not new here. I am almost a 2 year member. I do more reading than posting but felt compelled to post when Nitrozac and Snaggy began the political cartoons.

As for the remainder of you post I am sorry that you feel that way. I can also understand why the world takes (more than) a passing interest in who our President is. I guess my feeling is that there is a difference between passing interest and condemnation or whatever it was that you would call these recent anti Bush cartoons.

What further boggles me is that the owners of this site are making money from people here in the US. There is nothing wrong with that. I have purchased goods from them in the past and have been considering purchasing goods againt. That was until these recent articles.

Now that I think about it, I guess that is what my point is, really. If you stand to make money from the constituency of a country you should be very careful about doing things that could upset the 51% or so who went with our incumbent President. To me that does not seem well advised.

Best,

Danimal

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 04:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a sense of humour, Danimal? Is your Republican faith so shaky that it can't sustain an occasional dig? What S&N have done is entirely within their right to free speech - by critisizing this you are seeking to limit another person's free speech: may I remind you that the US constitution has something to say about your actions, and it isn't praise!

As for the money thing - this site is enjoyed by a large number of people who don't have to spend a single cent for their entertainment. Perhaps you would do well to join the band of voluntarily-paying guests before you start to moan about the pros and cons of where your money's going.

Lighten up!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 05:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danimal:

Me, personally, I might or might not like the way England or France or some other country does things on the world stage but I am gong to keep my opinion about its elections and other internal politics to myself because, unless I am a card carrying member of that country, I don't really feel like I have a right to an opinion on those matters.

If only GWB would take your advice !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 05:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's really incredible how short-sighted/narrow-minded many Americans are.

According to CNN.com, the actual figure of short-sighted/narrow-minded Americans is something to the tune of 59,424,706.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 05:29      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You have a right to an opinion on our (the UK's) actions though, and the right to free speach, so you can therefore speak about your opinion if you wish.

Anyway, the election of the US president does have worldwide repercussions, and so it is only right that non-USans can have an influence on who is elected, either by intelligent critisism, film making, or comics to name a few methods.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 05:30      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If you stand to make money from the constituency of a country you should be very careful about doing things that could upset the 51% or so who went with our incumbent President. To me that does not seem well advised.

So are you saying that those of us who disagree with the majority should just take our licking and STFU? I'm sorry, but that's not what America is all about. I have a right to dissent and disagree with my government in any way I feel necessary.

Besides which, 51% is not really all that impressive of a number. Come back with this argument when that number reaches 90%. Hovering around 50% is what we in statistics call "chance". The difference between the percentage of votes the Shrub got and the number of votes that Kerry got is hardly even close to statistically significant. </lesson in statistics>

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 05:59      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to a quick calculation taking into account the CNN number quoted by DNF and the 2000 census 21% of the US voted for GWB, not 51%.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 05, 2004 06:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm pretty sure Danimal had an opinion about Canada, France, Germany and some other not going to war in Irak along the US. (Freedom Fries, someone?)

In a world where information can spread 'round the world within seconds, so can opinions. This world is often called a global village, for a reason. Hey, as a Canadian, should I have been a) insulted that South Park - the movie had that "Blame Canada" song, or b) relieved that some people remember there's an independant country (with different opinions and ways of thinking) north of the US?

Plus, judging an artist's work based on his/her nationality is pretty close to xenophobia, isn't it? (Or should I invent the world xenocism?)

And just to rib it a little more, if an American refuses to buy something based on where the money goes, it's bye-bye Disney, Nikes, most computer/electronics brands and co.

Sorry, Danimal. If you want to convice me - or anyone - that we should get our mouth shut about what's going on in the all powerfull United States, you'll have to get stronger arguments. Much stronger.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 07:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dragonman, was it I whom you referred to as "New Fool?" If that is the case I do not understand why you felt a need to personaly attack me. I have made no attacks against you and respectfully request the same courtesy.
Yeah, that was targetted at you. I don't take kindly to people throwing repeated insults at Nitrozac and Snaggy, particularly when it's of such frivilous nature.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 05, 2004 09:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you stand to make money from the constituency of a country you should be very careful about doing things that could upset the 51% or so who went with our incumbent President. To me that does not seem well advised.

Wow, that is a way of thinking I want no part of.

If Nitrozac and I really worried about stuff like that, we wouldn't be true to ourselves.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 09:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Comrade Danimal doesn't understand how it works in Pinkoland! Nevermind - we can defeat the capitalist, imperialist bourgeoisie without his aid.

C'mon comrades - it's time for the four-minute hate. Last one in The Glorious Workers' theatre is a Trotskyist dog!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 09:28      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of the nationality of the moderators/controllers/owners of any particular web-site or forum the web/internet/mighty-all-powerful computer is without nationality.

There has been a great deal of debate over the last few years about how the web should be internationally accessible. I am a firm believer in this. How often do we personally see people of different nationalities? Not often; well I do, I work at a University. However, this wonderful thing we're all using allows us to 'talk' to people from all over the world; and what is one of the best things about this? The ability to learn about new and different cultures, varying politics, peoples own religious convictions and all the other things that make us different (even Spungo's preference to four legged fluffy animals - baaaa).

While I may not agree with some of the people who post here; it is good to have open debate (the opinions are not always informed or supported I grant you) but good none-the-less. I really don't give a flying fsck if someone bashes principles that I hold dear, I can argue for them regardless. Hate it as much as us non-States people may, American politics have a massive affect on the world. I mean just take a look at Iraq, the Kyoto agreement, the American Steel import/export issue and ballistic missile initiatives.

What I am trying to say and making a right royal pigs ear of it is that to my mind the idea of free speech can only truly be realise via the www. If Nitro and Snaggy want their site to lean in a particular direction that is their own right. We who support it, whether through donations or using it do so because we want to.

Anyone who visits this site regularly will know that most of the JoT cartoons are meant to viewed in a satirical manner. I am sure that if a politician in Canada made an ar5e of themselves that would also be included. When (if) I get my site up and running and it has a forum I will more than welcome criticism of the content, that's the only way it will get any better.

Anyway, we all appreciate the hard work done by the guys to keep this place going and long may they reign.

Besides, just to finish on a controversial point, threatening N&S with the 51% of people who voted for Bush is a bit lame. How many of them could point to where Canada is on a world map, is it north or south of Uncle-Brother Jim-Bob's back yard? Bush himself isn't that hot on the real world as it is.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 11:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What further boggles me is that the owners of this site are making money from people here in the US. There is nothing wrong with that. I have purchased goods from them in the past and have been considering purchasing goods againt. That was until these recent articles.

Now that I think about it, I guess that is what my point is, really. If you stand to make money from the constituency of a country you should be very careful about doing things that could upset the 51% or so who went with our incumbent President. To me that does not seem well advised.

Best,

Danimal

You know, people in Sweden and Germanyu sell cars to the US, yet they don't support many of our policies. People in Frnace sell us wine and perfume, yet they don't support our policies. OPEC sells us our oil, and they sure as shit don't like our policies. And here you are taking exception to Nitrozac and Snaggy, who make a freely accessible website and only make money off of those of us who choose to subscribe because we enjoy their cartoons. What gives?

The US is the only superpower. When we hiccup, the whole world feels it. Our president directs those hiccups. Is it so surprising then that the rest of the world has something to say about our latest election? They can't isolate themselves from us anymore than we can isolate ourselves from them.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 05, 2004 12:17      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see if I can rationally sort out what's being said here:

What I understand is that Danimal said in his first 2 posts, that now that he knows Snaggy and I are Canadians he sees the work we do in a new light.

ok, I'm cool with that, but Danimal doesn't say what that new light is, it could've gone either way, like, "those comics are so much more funny, as they are an outside view" or "who do they think they are?" But, he doesn't say, so I don't assume.

Then I think he's saying that he wondered if we considered the possibility of offending Americans with our comics. To that I say, yes we considered that, agreed. Then, I think he says that we make our money from US. I think that is an assumption on his part at this point, there is no way Danimal can know where the proportions of our revenue is coming from, since this isn't a store on American soil, I think there's a good chance we make money from other countries as well as the states. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions and jump to conclusions about our financials.

Then, how I understand it is, Danimal expands a little more, saying that he believes that people who do not live in the US, do not have a right to an opinion about US politics, because he feels he doesn't have a right to the opinion of other country's politics, but he does feel he has a right to have an opinion on world politcs.

Ok, this is where I think it goes sour, I feel Danimal, that you aren't separating yourself from others, it's a boundaries issue. I beleive you do not have the right to tell others what opinions they should or shouln't have. I beleive that all humans have a right to thier own opinions about anything and everything. I also believe that all humans have a right to express their opinions without being insulted or dismissed. I certainly believe I have a right to have my opinions about US politics and I have the right to express those opinions without being insulted or dismissed.

I also believe that the recent comics poking fun at US politics is just that; poking fun at US politics. There was no intent of harm in this humour. Where would comedians be if politics of theirs and other's nations were not fair game? It's simply the way the comedy business is.

Yes, I do agree that there are risks involved in the cartoon business, we stand a good chance of offending all sorts of people all over the world. I feel the risk is worth it, comedy is my chosen profession, and I understand these risks.

It is often said that Americans don't understand Canadian humor, perhaps this is a case of just that. It is also said that Americans don't "get" irony, I wonder how true that is? But, whatever, I just enjoy my work, and I must say, I enjoyed the thrills and excitement of the US elections, and yes, that has influenced my cartoon ideas lately.

What I expect from others, generally, is to not make assumptions and jump to conclusions about me, my work, or my business.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 12:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fanboy_uk just said it best -- although I'm not about to hit the quote button, it's a bit much to quote.

I have learned more about other countries, religion, people, and other great things about our planet that I would not have otherwise known if it weren't for the in-tar-nut.

One of the beautiful things about many of this planet's countries is the beautiful thing known as "freedom of speech". That means we can say what we want about our governemnt, other people's government, and ourselves without fear of prosecution.

I'm pretty sure the statement, "if you don't fsckin' like it, LEAVE." is appropriate in this situation.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 12:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Canadian humor

You mean Canadian humour?

*smartassed grin*

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 12:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] You go girl [thumbsup]

Just another point to add.

This site is web based, which means it is accessible to people all over the world, except China [Wink]

Now, if S and N were making comics that made fun of "Surrey girls" about 6 people who come to this site would find any humour in the jokes. Most of you would even begin to understand the references. Now US policy is in everybody's face. That is the choice of your President who you so dutifully elected. I bet on the front page of every newspaper in the last week there has been a story about Bush, the election or Iraq. It is something we all share some knowledge in, so it is a workable subject for the cartoonist(s). The fact that Bush is a murdering buffoon has nothing to do with it, but it is something every American should be ashamed of. I'm ashamed, and I'm a Canadian.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 05, 2004 17:07      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a comedian (or comedienne), if you aren't offending someone, you're not doing a very good job.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 17:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greycat we could even go further than that. If you are a human being and you are not offending those 59,054,087 that voted for Bush there is something wrong! [Wink]

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 17:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And slightly off topic, the new JOT reminds me of that sig that someone here used to have:-

quote:
Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

--------------------

Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 19:08      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is unfortunate that there have been so many insults thrown at me when I have insulted no one. I, personally, prefer to save my insuts for face to face communications where I can look the person in the eye. To me, instulting folks on the internet is futile.

It is interesting to read the opinion of so many on this topic.

My only suggestion to Nitrozac and Snaggy is that if they are going to continue with the political humor they make it fair all 'round. I would love to see a comic that highlights the French tank that has only reverse gears or something else along those lines. I am sure that they could have some good fun with England or Germany or Russia or Afghanistan. Why not? I am sure folks in those countries won't mind much.

I wish that JOT didn't get into poltics at all but they do. Oh well. Hopefully we will see some national equlait in their comics coming soon.

Danimal

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2004 20:19      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would love to see a comic that highlights the French tank that has only reverse gears or something else along those lines.

HAHAHA that is hilarious. You should tell that to all the other kids in grade 6, they'd love it.

Maybe someone will start a comic strip about how Bush kills babies for oil [Big Grin] .....all because God told him to. Then you could expand about how he scared an entire nation into voting for him, or they would die  - ....and the kicker is: they are all so stupid they believed him. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even funnier: The people that still had jobs actually forked over their tax dollars not only to kill brown babies, but to kill their own brave soldiers [Big Grin]

/american irony test

Oh, and Danny boy, I am guessing your post count exceeds your IQ, so I'll make it real easy for you to understand:

If you don't like it here, fuck off and find some right wing whack job BBS where you can go on and on about how God says it is OK to kill people if they have something you want.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture