homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Ride that Tiger!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ride that Tiger!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 07:01      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guys what do you all think of Jobby's new cat? It is obviously very speculative as we are talking about new features for a release that may be 9 months or more away, but having looked at Apple's web site, and watched the Stevenote, I reckon that though there aren't a lot of headline grabbers, the changes "under the hood" could justify the price for me providing they are solidly implemented and there is no significant speed or stability penalty.

And I am very saddened by the way they have given Arlo Rose and Perry Clarke the Watson treatment. They are not happy about it. You would think that particularly given Arlo's history and contribution to the platform, that they might at least have offered them a small pile of cash. It makes the grateful thanks he offered to OSX developers in his speech ring a little hollow. The lesson seems to be, don't make anything too cool for OSX, or we'll have it.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 29, 2004 08:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- iChat AV 3 ways and 4 ways, yay. [thumbsup]

Dashboard: Shame on you Apple. I don't really love Konfabulator for some reason, but I do think it is neat. Apple's version looks like a Windows port. [Mad]

Spotlight: cool.

Safari RSS... rocking, especially since I just did the Joy of tech RRS feed.

Automator: Hmmm, will I ever actually use any of this?

I'm looking for more though, or I will be a grumpy upgrader. Hopefully there will be improvements in Mail. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 12:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember snaggy, you dont have to upgrade.

And if you do hold off for 30 product cycles or so, you could probably afford a new 30" display! That's only one cat per inch!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 12:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Remember snaggy, you dont have to upgrade.

And if you do hold off for 30 product cycles or so, you could probably afford a new 30" display! That's only one cat per inch!

Yeah, I did a little thought about that, seeing that it's ~$100/in. *Crazy* And those mo-fos added Kensington lock slots to the backs of all their screens -- but I thought running a cable through a stupid foot was the intelligent way to do it? /me scratches head and curses at Apple. Right about now I think I hate Apple more than I like them.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 29, 2004 13:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right about now I think I hate Apple more than I like them.

dman, Love is like that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 13:11      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<rant>

Have they got rid of the fscking Dock yet? No matter how small I make it and where I position it on the screen, it will jump up under my cursor when I try to resize a window or move a scroll bar or use a palette item in AppleWorks and I then have to wait while the computer decides to open iTunes or some such. It has to be the most annoying feature of a MacOS ever. Even Micro$oft would be hard pushed to put such a singlely annoying feature into Windoze.

And will they bring back window shade? My 333Mhz G3 really can't cope with collapsing windows to the fscking Dock and back all the time when I am using multiple Windows, and using F9 is frustatingly slow when lots of Windows are open. I know there are shareware replacements available, but they cause all kinds of strange operational behaviours for me.

</rant>

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 15:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Number 2608:
<rant>

Have they got rid of the fscking Dock yet? No matter how small I make it and where I position it on the screen, it will jump up under my cursor when I try to resize a window or move a scroll bar or use a palette item in AppleWorks

I had that problem when it was on the bottom of the screen, but now I've moved it to the left (vertical) and it's fine.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 15:16      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Number 2608:
<rant>

Have they got rid of the fscking Dock yet? No matter how small I make it and where I position it on the screen, it will jump up under my cursor when I try to resize a window or move a scroll bar or use a palette item in AppleWorks

I had that problem when it was on the bottom of the screen, but now I've moved it to the left (vertical) and it's fine.
I took it out of the screen completely and fed it to the cat.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture