homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Dad's day race...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dad's day race...
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 04:52      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bringing a whole new meaning to 'Freshest 15' [Big Grin]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 08:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic slightly, but I just want to say that I thought the previous cartoon "Liquid drooling system" was one of your very best, and I love all those animated gizmos in it too. Does it take a lot of work to add them in?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 17, 2004 10:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank Callipygous! We were wondering if anybody liked it. [Razz]

Yep the animations add a few extra hours to the comic's production, depending on the complexity of the animation and the intensity of our nitpicking.

This one we definitely wanted to do animation for, seeing as we were poking fun at Apple's animation

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 17, 2004 17:19      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't seen the original. Yours loads much faster!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 18, 2004 07:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent cartoon. I'm reminded of the sperm paratrooper bit in "Everything you always wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask". (Which is a *great* movie)
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 09:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Excellent cartoon. I'm reminded of the sperm paratrooper bit in "Everything you always wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask". (Which is a *great* movie)

HA! I thought I was the only one in the world who ever saw that movie [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 18, 2004 10:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a hilarious movie, we were talking about it while doing this comic...

especially the part where the black sperm walks by...

"hey! what's he doing here!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 10:18      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
HA! I thought I was the only one in the world who ever saw that movie [Big Grin]

Oh no, I can vouch for about 300 people (including me) who watched it as an introduction to sex education. Learnt more from that film than in a terms worth of lessons - of course, there were no "now put your condom over the cucumber like this" exercises, but you can't have everything.

Wow, that was a while ago. Makes me feel old

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 11:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did they explain that gigantic boob scene?

/teacher: Here is a rather large teat, in its natural habitat...drifting across a field....

/Class: Ohhhhhh....Ahhhhhhhhh......

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 11:48      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anything was explained, it was more learn for yourself. All the sex ed lessons were taught by random teachers who just wanted to help out, and one of them was (probably still is) this wacky chemistry teacher. If I recall correctly, this was his lesson. Suppose it was easier to do than preparing a script, making OHP slides and worksheets... just let the kids watch a smutty film instead [Smile]
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 12:45      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watched a film for the sex-ed part of freshman biology, but it was "The Miracle of Life," which shows the entire process - from conception to birth - in more detail than you ever wanted to see. It was very scientifically accurate, and probably some of the best birth control ever.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 19:31      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait i thought biology being taught was illegal in South Carolina. [Confused]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2004 02:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
wait i thought biology being taught was illegal in South Carolina. [Confused]

You're only allowed to learn it from a close family member. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2004 06:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen "Everything you know...", but I have seen the Goodies episode "Gender Education" episode. In which they get asked to produce a sex education video by an extremely prudish woman, who entitles the film "How to make babies by doing dirty things". It's probably the funniest episode on the DVD, IMHO. Episode guide here and here (scroll down til you get to gender education)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2004 09:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I haven't seen "Everything you know...", but I have seen the Goodies episode "Gender Education" episode...It's probably the funniest episode on the DVD, IMHO.

Someone else with the Goodies DVD! I'm not the only person in the world [Big Grin]
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2004 21:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I haven't seen "Everything you know...", but I have seen the Goodies episode "Gender Education" episode...It's probably the funniest episode on the DVD, IMHO.

Someone else with the Goodies DVD! I'm not the only person in the world [Big Grin]
Absolutely not. Anyone who missed out on the Goodies led a sadly deprived childhood [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 14:03      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not afford to get my dad a gift this year so I made him this e-card from a photo I took in my back yard yesterday. My brother is a new dad so it workd for him too.

-

------------
My current auctions

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 16:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude....you are selling used wine corks on ebay?

I could send you a peanut butter jar full of Canadian Tire money. [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 17:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Dude....you are selling used wine corks on ebay?

I could send you a peanut butter jar full of Canadian Tire money. [ohwell]

People are actually buying used corks on ebay. I was giving them to a friend that grows orchids in them but he has plenty now. I guess many people buy them for craft projects.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 19:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People buy used corks? Amazing. I go through about 150 corks a year, but I think it wouldn't add up to enough cash to bother hoarding them.

--------------

My favorite line from EYAWTKASBWATA (the movie)
"Est tu ... piccollo?"

"Piccollo! Comé una panna Franchaise. Piccollo...

-------------

And, to all the fathers out there. Happy Father's Day. It's not as easy a job as it seems.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 20:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corks are actually a much recycled item.

Wine consumption has increased quite a bit in recent decades, but cork supply has not, as cork trees grow slowly, and the bark cant be harvested until the trees are quite old (~60 years, from memory). Harvesting the cork without killing the tree is also quite tricky, and skilled craftsmen make quite a good living.

Supply and demand being what it is, this has led to an increase in cork prices, and made cork recycling a viable industry. One of the aussie charities does quite well out of its 'give us your used corks' drive.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture