homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Look at the little FACE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look at the little FACE!
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted May 10, 2004 17:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that's what Pamela was saying when she saw today's JoT cartoon. (Though it probably sounded more like "Wook at the widdle FACE!")

Oddly enough, she had a dog named "Ringo" at one point...

Anyway, I'm sure Star and Maui approve, too.

IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2004 22:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just know someone's going to degrade this thread by turning into a discussion about killing kittens.

What? [evil]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2004 22:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
You just know someone's going to degrade this thread by turning into a discussion about killing kittens.

What? [evil]

Not me, I have a claws in my contract....

(let the punning begin!)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2004 22:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just being a pussy, TFD [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2004 22:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're just being a pussy, TFD [Razz]

That's not true, you're lion !
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 05:35      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't throw a hissy-fit, TFD. He was just trying to shed some light on the subject.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 05:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there no paws in this pun-fest?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 05:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief. These puns are woeful, as purr usual.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 06:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this talk of cats has reminded me, here at Casa del Druid, we're thinking of getting a cat, but we're not sure what kind.
I'm inclined to just get a tabby from the lost cats home, Mrs Druid wants one of those posh pedigreed cats that cost about $3000/kilo.

Does anyone have recommendations of the kind of cat to get?

Tabby or not tabby? That is the question.

--------------------

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 07:30      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, please, please, please convince her to get one from the local shelter who will most likely be euthanised if not adopted. There are so many thousands of animals put to sleep everyday who have the potential to be wonderful, loving pets.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 07:35      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend a cat from a shelter. Both my cats were "rescued" kitties. Also, going to a shelter doesn't mean you won't find a purebreed - I've been told my older cat is a Norweigan Forest Cat even though his papers say domestic long hair. My other cat is a short haired tabby. She's dumber than a post, but she's a sweetheart, impossibly adorable and very affectionate. If I can get her to stop pooping in the bathtub, everything will be perfect.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 12:00      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need to be careful with your motives getting a rescue cat though... speaking from experience of rescuing two cats! One had been badly abused by a previous owner and another was abandoned by the roadside as a kitten.

The first took 4 -5 years of nurturing before it would come anywhere near you and a further year before it would accept relative strangers.

The second will tolerate people but isn't a lap cat and is very jumpy around people.

Both these cats couldn't tolerate kids. AT ALL. A child enters the house and both cats make a bee-line for the catflap.

The next cat we got was from a farm... he's HE-UGE, dumb as a post but loveable as hell. We're convinced he actually thinks he's a dog as he'll follow you round the house or garden, come to greet you at the door when you get home (he can tell the difference between our cars and our neighbours cars) and he'll eat absolutely anything, especially if it's dropped on the floor by accident!!!

So, by all means, rescue a cat. It's a noble thing to do... but be honest with yourself about what you may end up with!

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 11, 2004 12:50      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooOooh kittens!

That's so cute you're getting a cat! I'd side with the adoption idea, definitely. Just cruise by the SPCA with her during kitten season and no doubt some little fuzzy face is going to steal her heart! That's what happened with me and NitroKitty. I was at the vet to pick up some kitten food for a barn kitten that I was going to adopt and I asked that inevitable question "got any kittens back there?" and indeed there was a whole slew of them. There was NitroKitty very scared sitting in the cat litter box. She was an adorable older brown tabby kitten. She was really really scared, but I wanted that little face in my life!

I didn't know too much about feral born cats, and she definitely worried me, she hid all the time. But, with a bit of research, patience, and lots of love, Snaggy and I got her used to us and she actually came out from under the bed on her own, even though it was about 2 or 3 months. Since then, she's wonderful but hides when people come over, but I'm thinking she got that behaviour from me. hah hah. I totally accept her hiding behaviour, it would be nice if she was friendly, but, I love her like crazy how she is. She does come around after a few days of the visiting guest being around, curiousity getting the better of her.

I'm so happy I got her and I stuck with her, because, I think she was taken to some households where she hid, and was returned, what kind of a life is that for a kitty cat? The barn cat I was going to get was pretty happy where she was, and I had the chance to give NitroKitty a good life. She's amazing! Her latest trick, is so funny. When you roll one of her toys down the hallway she'll purposefully chase it and do a complete somersault while catching it, she does a little head tuck and everything. It's so cute!!!

Ok, as far as breeds go, I think Maine Coones are really great and I heard that Ragdoll cats are wonderful. But, you know, they all have their own wonderful loveableness, even the plain old black and white cats that visit from the neighborhood. I mean, 3,000 for a cat? That's just being suckered into that whole status machine, IMHO.

Give us an update as to what you decide, I'd love to hear about it, and of course POST PICS!!! [Big Grin]

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 14:46      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think Maine Coones are really great
We think our older cat, Pixel, is part Maine Coon. He's very smart - too smart for his own good sometimes.

I don't think you have to worry too much about a shelter cat if you spend a little time with it at the shelter. See if it's playful, if it likes to be picked up, etc. Get to see a little of what the kitten's personality is and you'll know whether that's the right cat for you.

For example, my husband picked Pixel because he was the most active and playful of his litter, and I picked Kai because from the moment I went near him he never stopped purring. Years later, Pixel is still playful and Kai still likes to sit on me and purr.

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 15:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice guys, but I've already got a cat, (a black & white one, from the shelter) the whole story was just a lead-in to a bad pun.

/me looks guilty, and slightly amused [Wink]

It's nice to see people have a healthy disdain for the over-priced and over-bred pedigreed critters.

I'll try to post a picture of Panda some time soon.

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted May 11, 2004 15:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm proud to say that both Star and Maui came to us courtesy of the Denver Dumb Friends League. Their main shelter is just down the street from us.

Oddly enough, they both came when I was between jobs...Star in February 2001, and Maui in September. (We picked Maui out on a Sunday, they kept him overnight to neuter him, and he came home with us on Monday, September 10, 2001. I had been laid off the previous Thursday. Of course, one need not point out the historical significance of the day after Maui came home with us.)

Neither of them were feral cats, but Pamela has previously had a feral cat...that was Vincent, a black-and-white, who stayed with her ex-husband and died not too long ago.

Meanwhile, courtesy of our new Canon PowerShot A80 digital camera, this is Star, and this is Maui. (I hope the server stays up!)

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 22:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Meanwhile, courtesy of our new Canon PowerShot A80 digital camera, this is Star, and this is Maui.
(I hope the server stays up!)

GC isn't quite as bad as slashdot or fark yet, is it? We can take down geocities pages, but that's not saying much.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 11, 2004 22:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo! Great cats [Smile]

Hmmm.... maybe we need a Pets Photo Album [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 03:50      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Oddly enough, they both came when I was between jobs...Star in February 2001, and Maui in September.

We got our last cat, Dax, while I was between jobs. It was cool, I got to take regular breaks from the positions-vacant posts and he got someone to hide behind when the washing machine kicks into it's spin cycle! [Smile]

Only trouble was the missus worked out I was spending more time playing with the cat than I was looking for work... busted! [Razz]

Still, bonded well with the little fella, now if I could only stop him from bringing dead things into the house... [shake head]

Here is a short (711kb) video of me teaching Dax to chase pens... which was fun at the time but filling in forms now requires a degree in animal control! Dax is now much MUCH larger!

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 10:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
GC isn't quite as bad as slashdot or fark yet, is it? We can take down geocities pages, but that's not saying much.

I know, but Venice has been having some problems recently with randomly crashing with OutOfMemoryErrors, and I haven't been able to track them down quite yet.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture