homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Kill Bill Too has been killed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kill Bill Too has been killed.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 30, 2004 10:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CafePress has informed me that they have removed our Kill Bill Too comic from our CafePress store...

Your use of the strong likeness and reference to "Kill Bill" in your image may violate Miramax's intellectual property rights. Even though you have altered your design from the official Kill Bill image, Miramax may still see your image as infringing on their rights, and we can assure you they are very protective of their property.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you. Please remember that this is not CafePress.com pursuing its rights against you but the aggressive nature of Miramax and its intellectual property right agents.

Ok, so I blame SupportGoddess for looking too hot. [Big Grin]

They also nix'd our Tech Condiments comics. [ohwell]

Note that the forces at CafePress just deleted the giant poster image from our Kill Bill Too store. They left up all the other products. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, the comic spin-offs will probably return in another form, such as rm -r Bill, or Delete Bill Too.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 30, 2004 12:05      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Anyway, the comic spin-offs will probably return in another form, such as rm -r Bill...

Hey! I actually get the joke! My unix studies are paying off! [Happytears]
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 12:13      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killall -2 Bill? [Smile]
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 30, 2004 13:29      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your stuff while it's hot, and you KNOW how hot the SupportGoddess is. I've got my order in, Have you?

[Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 15:39      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just figures... my promising career as a pin-up girl is cut tragically short by an aggressive movie studio and it's pandering .com flunky wielding the phrase "intellectual property" like a club.

[Roll Eyes]

I did get myself the small poster before that is gone, too.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 8 posted April 30, 2004 15:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, this just sucks. I'm pretty sure your cartoon would fall under the definition of "parody" which is supposed to be legally protected by the First Amendment, according to certain Supreme Court decisions. (At least in the US, where I presume CafePress is headquartered. Dunno if Canada views things differently.)

Sorry that you guys got "Foxed," Snaggy... [shake head]

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 15:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Bill as a huge whale overwhelming the minnows of the software biz, you could call it 'Krill Bill'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 30, 2004 16:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How am I going to build my shrine to the wondrous SG now?

Super tragic.

:sigh:

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted April 30, 2004 18:11      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will all those Hong Kong directors sue Tarantino for all the "homages" to their films in the Kill Bill movies?
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2004 05:36      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of having been "tricked" into doing so by false threats of "limited time offer"... I put in an order for some mousepads. We'll see whether it goes through or gets cancelled at the last minute by timid little clerks.

I'm still puzzled why they would remove only the "large poster" item and not the others.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 03, 2004 05:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi greycat, thanks. nope not a limited time offer... actually the section is hidden to the general public, the only way to get there is via the link above.

We're going to do another version of it at some point, most likely Delete Bill, and see how that sits with the Powers that Be. [ohwell]

We've also opened a Zazzle Store, since I've been unable to upload anything to CafePress for a few days now. I'm not sure how skittish Zazzle is when it comes to parody.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture