homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Bandwidth crisis (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bandwidth crisis
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2004 07:23      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's now shuftied to http://www.strangeflavour.com/other/zwilnik.gif [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2004 08:23      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the million avatar march! [Wink]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 10, 2004 08:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bandwidth crisis™ is not over, but I've trimmed a few things down, will see how CSS works out.. and I am hosting the main comic elsewhere for the meantime. It's looking more and more like we'll be moving to a new host, as there seems to be much better deals elsewhere. Thanks MacGenius for the link to 1and1.com, and Tut for your hosting links.

Allan, I made the Forums page lengths shorter... it's now 25 posts per page. Let's see how that feels... good idea. [Smile]

hi Mike Ma!... you can always link to the current joy of tech thumbnail. :-)

For the moment i won't be changing the location of all the little things, like avatars, as they really do not add up to that much. The biggest culprit is the comic itself.

We do apprieciate all the offers for hosting images (and other great ideas). If we do go that route you'll be hearing from us, but hopefully the new host thing will work out and we'll have bandwidth and more horsepower.

Ok thanks !

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2004 10:08      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the bandwidth crunch is still on, and you decide to start moving pictures around I have a few gigs of space on my webserver that can be used to host avatars and so forth.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mike Ma
Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 22:47      Profile for Mike Ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

hi Mike Ma!... you can always link to the current joy of tech thumbnail. :-)

Forgot about that one, actually. But it'd still be nice if there was a full thumbnail, since I seem to have issues remembering if I read a comic already, based on the cropped thumbnail.

Something involving cookies would be good too...as in you put a cookie on each visitor's machine, and every time they hit this "Mini Page" with the thumbnail, it'll tell you if the comic's been updated since the last visit. (Not sure if that's at all possible, though).

Anyway, good luck with the new hosting. I hope it all works out...I don't wanna lose you guys!

Posts: 7 | From: St. Albert AB Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
streicher
Newbie Larva
Member # 2720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 18:47      Profile for streicher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone said something about 10 people giving 7 gigs- if that becomes necessary count me in.
Posts: 5 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 19, 2004 20:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update to this in case everyone doesn't know.. we moved our server to another host about three weeks ago, and now have a *much* better server and a *lot* more bandwidth. [thumbsup]

Thanks everyone who offered us space, we really appreciate it. So far so good with the new server. [Smile]

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 07:28      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy - as an admin how do you like your new hosting company?

I've been on the lookout for a new one myself and have a few requirements - not many - and am an admitted cheapskate. But I don't need a lot of storage and very little bandwidth. Google crawling the site takes up as much bandwidth as everything else in a typical month. Your new guys seem to have decent prices and features that meet what I need.

The only thing they seem to be missing is a spam filter. I wonder if I can install SpamAssassin without too many problems.....

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 20, 2004 08:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Doco!

We're on a dedicated server, so far it's been great. It was a bit confusing at first pointing domains to 1and1, (at first I though they required you to use them as a registrar.. not so) but since then very easy.

Their mail was a little spotty at first, but has been good ever since the DNS was moved entirely over to them, and you can also point mail to your own mailserver if you wish.

OK i gotta run... more later maybe [Smile]

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 15:00      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Snaggy! I just emailed the "info" email address at 1&1 and I'll see what they say about the SpamAssassin thing.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2004 16:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doco, sounds like you're looking for a shared hosting scheme.
I can hook you up for a few bucks a month (with spamassissin, PHP, MySQL, and more on a shared server at The Planet)

streicher
Newbie Larva
Member # 2720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2004 21:18      Profile for streicher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it does sound like your looking for shared hosting, but i also am on a 1&1 dedicated server and its great. The only downside is their website is a PAIN to load; it doesnt work right in some browsers and it crawls unless you have broadband- then again most people do these days.
Posts: 5 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture