homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Bandwidth crisis (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bandwidth crisis
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 19:51      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just turned images off in Firesocks. [Big Grin]

"Conserve bandwidth, post with a friend"

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 20:09      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
That's why I haven't done any comic this week, too much bandwidth....right.

FYI, the average pageview on itrolls.net is 17.54295618174 KB. It's practically nothing! No need to worry [Wink]
Mike Ma
Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 23:45      Profile for Mike Ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't been on the board for a long time, but how about this:

Create a small page with just a thumbnail of the current graphic--nothing else--no ads, no links, nothing. I think if people are like me, and they check JOT occasionally, they'll be just chewing up your bandwidth when they check and there's nothing new....so we check again later, and still nothing new. Then we check a final time and there's something new there. So right there, we've wasted two whole downloads of the JOT page.

But, if we have a tiny thumbnail page that we bookmark and reload when we want to check, we'll only be downloading that one small image (instead of all the "fancy" stuff that lives on a normal page).

Did that make sense? I'm not sure I've expressed this very clearly, since I'm totally exhausted, but I had to put this out before I forgot.

Posts: 7 | From: St. Albert AB Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 00:29      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you make the page length shorter in the forums, that's to say less posts per page but more pages; or to show only the last 10 posts (for example) and a link if you wanted the whole thread?

According to my activity monitor this page complete was about 200KB (although most of the images are cached)

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 03:33      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
combined with spreading some of the images around volunteer sites, maybe it's time for a new front page. I very rarely scroll down past the comic, or whatever is in my single page view. This means that the advertisements (which I would assume are hosted elsewhere apart from the JoT ones) are visible, along with the comic, but anything below the Joy Poll hardly ever gets seen.

Instead of complex CSS scripts etc. for spreading the load, you could probably just do a javascript that picks from a bunch of donated locations to load the comic from (maybe make part of the deal for syndicating the comic to magazines like MacWorld etc. that they have to provide a little bandwidth [Wink] )

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 05:10      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call it the CJAN! (Comprehensive Joy Archive Network -- Bill Joy not included) [Wink] .

boingboing is having a similar crisis--some of the suggestions over there are to turn on gzip in apache and to work on streamlining images/pages.

Have you checked the referrer log to see if folks are sourcing directly to a favorite comic image from THEIR site? You might be able to block that. Where is all this traffic coming from?

For that matter, if you co-loc, do you do your own IP accounting? It's possible that Interland made a mistake.

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 05:22      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're already browsing the forums with images enabled (as I am), then turning off the images isn't going to do anything significant. Your browser should already have the images cached. The biggest effect the forum images/avatars would have is when a new person reads the forums for the first time.

I don't have any colocated web space; I can host my own avatar on my 256-kilobit-uplink DSL box at home, but that's about it.

I'm all for trimming down the HTML in the main page; dragonman's rendition is pretty good.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 06:21      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could stop this elitist "Superfan Clubhouse" b*llocks for starters. If ever there was a waste of bandwidth... Gawd, does it ever p*ss me off... "You must be logged in... blah blah blah". Whose side are you on, boys, whose side are you on (with apologies to Billy Bragg)

Sorry, I'm frothing at the mouth again, aren't I?

After that, well, I have an unknown but comparatively huge amount of hosted webspace which I use only as a placeholder for my various domains and you'd be more than welcome to park stuff on that, FOC, subject to the inevitable PITA T&Cs of my provider... If you're serious, PM me and we'll talk further, mmkay?

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 06:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me hands hey-U a cup of tea

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 07:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by greycat:
If you're already browsing the forums with images enabled (as I am), then turning off the images isn't going to do anything significant. Your browser should already have the images cached. The biggest effect the forum images/avatars would have is when a new person reads the forums for the first time.
True, but there's one thing you may not consider - the number of different computers some people may access the forums from.

I'm all for trimming down the HTML in the main page; dragonman's rendition is pretty good.
Thanks [Smile] .

Oh yeah, and Snaggy: a thought crossed my mind. I've been thinking about "it," and wonder if it might help out. Perhaps for the Superfans?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 07:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
quote:

FYI, the average pageview on itrolls.net is 17.54295618174 KB. It's practically nothing! No need to worry [Wink]
I was being facetious. [Frown] Thanks for showing how popular it is.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 07:58      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
quote:

I was being facetious. [Frown] Thanks for showing how popular it is.
Well we went over limit in February, if that helps at all?
I was just pointing out how streamlined it is [Wink]

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 08:34      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered running mod_gzip? (By my brief header check, you're not). That'll compress outgoing data for browsers that can handle it -- and many can. You'd be surprised how much bandwidth it can save.
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 08:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chromatic:
Have you considered running mod_gzip? (By my brief header check, you're not). That'll compress outgoing data for browsers that can handle it -- and many can. You'd be surprised how much bandwidth it can save.

Yeah, I was going to look and see if they had it turned on - the Mozilla browsers support, and many of us use Mozilla-based browsers (full app suite, Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix, Chimera, Netscape). In fact, I just checked, and IE 6.0 SP1 supports it as well (though I seem to recall hearing that some older versions didn't). I don't know about Safari, though I should hope it would.

Edit: No, Safari doesn't (at least not 1.02 v85 - Jaguar). Thanks again to uilleann for his very cool HTTP Werkzeug tool [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 10:30      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get another host...1and1.com is good. 500GB of bandwidth for $50 a month. Is that good for you? Not too pricey, I mean?
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 10:57      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I post or didn't I?

Who knows, who cares?

X, thanks for the cuppa... DM97, don't start on that possessive jealousy trip, mmkay, you'll only drive her away, eventually... Int that right X?

But why does a 3 hour time difference space me out so much?

Gahhh!

TQ & gd9

love and custard butties, geekeroonies...
[Smile]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 11:07      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X, DM:
If it was even remotely possible to revise my ratings, I would.
But it's not.
However, consider your selves both 5-star rated, FWIW.

PS: Did you know that the Burj Al Arab hotel is - apparently - the only 7-star hotel on the planet?

No, neither did I.

And, by the looks on your faces, you're about as impressed as I was...

/hey-U goes back to bed

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 11:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Did I post or didn't I?

Who knows, who cares?

X, thanks for the cuppa... DM97, don't start on that possessive jealousy trip, mmkay, you'll only drive her away, eventually... Int that right X?

But why does a 3 hour time difference space me out so much?

Gahhh!

TQ & gd9

love and custard butties, geekeroonies...
[Smile]

No one said I'd go off on a possessive jealousy trip [Wink] . Nothing wrong with offering a cuppa, or being grateful for it [Smile] . Besides which, you're a cool bloke, and it would be silly of me to do aforementioned stuff. And anyway, most of that is meant in jest - or directed at fools who can't take a clue that they *realy* shouldn't be acting as stupid as they have to her...

P.S. And you're yet another person to whom I would give 5 stars, but darn it all, I did so a long time ago [Razz] .

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 14:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries hey-U. [Smile]
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 15:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PS: Did you know that the Burj Al Arab hotel is - apparently - the only 7-star hotel on the planet?
Grr- I hate that shit. WTF is a 7-star hotel? I remember when gotels only went up to 4 stars. Having said that, I've stayed in a 5 star hotel near a four star hotel that was a lot nicer. However, it didn't have a golf course.

Oh, and our amps go to 11. Thats one louder.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 16:35      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
Grr- I hate that shit. WTF is a 7-star hotel? I remember when gotels only went up to 4 stars. Having said that, I've stayed in a 5 star hotel near a four star hotel that was a lot nicer. However, it didn't have a golf course.

Oh, and our amps go to 11. Thats one louder.

In my day, we didn't even have hotels! We had gotels! And we had to walk 10 miles to them every day, up hill both ways, in 6 feet of snow, in the 80 humid heat of July! [Wink]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 16:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
Grr- I hate that shit. WTF is a 7-star hotel? I remember when gotels only went up to 4 stars.
Sounds like the kind of place Spungo would like [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 16:50      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, like, is the bandwidth crisis over, or what?
</valley>

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 17:34      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, can you change my avatar to point to http://stonewallcs.com/~jon/ilovemydualg4.png ?
Thanks [Wink]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2004 17:37      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My avatar is now self-hosted at http://wooledge.org/~greg/greycat-gc.jpg in case you want to use that. I urge those of you who are capable of doing likewise, to do likewise. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture