homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Bandwidth crisis (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bandwidth crisis
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 08, 2004 11:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

Nitrozac and I are faced with a bandwidth crisis... our host Interland has recently reconfigured their bandwidth calculations and we are now faced with some rather frightening bandwidth costs.

So, we essentially have to make some tough choices quickly, these are what we are looking at...

- steamline the site drastically.
- make more money from somewhere, somehow. (duh)
- find free or super cheap bandwidth.
- go dark for a week or so a month.
- make one JoT a week SuperFan only.
- any or all of the above. [ohwell]
- insert your brilliant idea here.

The main bandwidth culprit is the JoT comic, which is nice in some ways as we are popular, but so popular it's gonna kill us.

We have currently burned through half of our allotted bandwidth already this month. We buy 70 GB a month, last month we did a total of 135 GB. [Frown]

Anyway, if you do have any suggestions please let me know via email. [email protected]

Thanks.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 12:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Sell some original artwork on Ebay? Learn to raise all your own food? Pretend to be insane and take donations by the freeway offramp (a la Homer Simpson when he wanted to buy Marge a necklace)?

No genuine ideas (except maybe the ebay thing), sorry. I hope something works out for you. Keep a stiff upper lip. [weep]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 12:28      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure quite how practical this would be, but you could move the JOT comic onto a different account from the rest of the site, then only the comic would have to go dark (possibly)

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 08, 2004 12:40      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear that -- if I could donate some of my unused bandwidth, I would be happy to do so.

In fact, if there are more of us GC people with websites that don't use up their allotted bandwidth, we could start a rotating JoT mirror -- when you get near the end of your bandwidth, shunt visitors to the least-(ab)used mirror site. Then keep rotating it as the bandwidth is used up.

Of course, this would require a lot more maintenance on everyone's part, but it might work until the crisis is resolved in a better manner...

--Flash, just trying to do my part

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 12:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have much but I do have about 15GB monthly that i can donate. I don't know how far 15GB would go but I am willing to do the whole mirror thing. Perhaps a redirect to whoever has the comic up at the moment from joyoftech.com
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 13:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along the lines of unused bandwidth, I just sent off the following idea to Snaggy, and I'll just pose it here for no particular purpose:
15:55 <dragonman97_> yeah, from what i can see, you have 132 KB of GIFs on the page,
*excluding* the main comic
15:56 <dragonman97_> i think that each picture, most around 1-3 KB, could each be hosted off
different accounts/servers, cutting a sizable amount of bandwidth usage.
15:56 <dragonman97_> and when I say 'different accounts/servers,' I'm hinting at a call for
others to pitch in with a very small amount of help
15:57 <dragonman97_> (i would also advise that you possibly blackout the small navigation
pictures, and replace them with text in a pinch
15:58 <dragonman97_> in my opinion, there are /way/ too many pictures on that page

This is in reference to ~37 images - if 37 people each put a single 1-3 KB image on their server, and the HTML for the main JoT page were altered, I think this would distribute the load greatly.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 13:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My GOD! That would call for a mass Cooberation, and a disentation of multiple URLs from multiple sources. Such an extravagant suggestion. it is just so crazy, it may work!"
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 13:21      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sign me up -- I've got about 20 GB of bandwidth that doesn't get used and around 2 GB of disk space sitting empty.

Let me know what I need to do, alright?

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 13:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another suggestion:
If there are any CSS geniuses around, your work might be helpful, if Snaggy would like it, to turn the (mainly) JoT page into an XHTML page with CSS. This ought to shrink it a bit (the index page is presently ~38KB) as I understand things, as the need to define all the table cells and fonts would be eliminated.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 13:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have unlimited disk space if that helps any. Just declaring some recourses for you.
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 14:23      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioner earlier, I'd be happy to redo your template in xHTML and CSS, and I may also suggest The Planet. Or perhaps something PHPWebHosting may be able to help with?

Perhaps you could set up some sort of load balancer and a bunch of cheap accounts? [Wink]

The navbar definitely is way larger (size-wise) than it needs to be.
Your links "Archives" "Forums", etc. can all be done in plaintext with CSS for rollovers. That would cut ~40KB off of each pageload. On the left side when you link to CoolPad, make RoadTools host that file, that's 8KB there. And then after optimizing the HTML, you'll probably have another 10KB or so from that.
So there you have ~60KB
And then definitely optimize the images better (PNG would probably be good) using ImageReady or what have you.
So you probably cut off ~200KB off of each pageload.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 14:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I haven't done any comic this week, too much bandwidth....right.

I'd say dump Interland. Have you talked to Mr. 4? I can also see where you could possibly drop some stuff that hardly anybody goes to. Are the e-cards popular? Does anybody go to the geek culture part much? I know I haven't in a long time. I'd say prune anything that hasn't been updated for a long time. Is Macs Rock part of the package? Do you make enough from it to keep it afloat? Maybe it should get the axe. What about the webcam? Although it's cool to see what's going on around GC headquarters, the scenery doesn't change much.

Just my .02, but I hope it helps.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 14:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
That's why I haven't done any comic this week, too much bandwidth....right.

I'd say dump Interland. Have you talked to Mr. 4? I can also see where you could possibly drop some stuff that hardly anybody goes to. Are the e-cards popular? Does anybody go to the geek culture part much? I know I haven't in a long time. I'd say prune anything that hasn't been updated for a long time. Is Macs Rock part of the package? Do you make enough from it to keep it afloat? Maybe it should get the axe. What about the webcam? Although it's cool to see what's going on around GC headquarters, the scenery doesn't change much.

Just my .02, but I hope it helps.

If the pages are hardly viewed, as long as there is no *disk space* problem, then there is no reason to kill them. Macsrock is a good idea though (to think about moving or whatever). However, it isn't that big (it is on the same server). It doesn't have *that many* images. Good log analyzing should reveal the truth. And AFAIK, the webcam is run out of GCHQ off of a 9600?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 14:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
m4 - I already talked PNG with Snaggy - it doesn't shave that much off. It would get a 20 KB savings on the main JoT pic, but other than that, it doesn't help much. I do think CSS would help tremendously, as well as weeding out unnecessarily images.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 15:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ISP offers 'unlimited uploads', but experience with ISPs has found that their definition of 'unlimited' is sometimes more limited than you might expect. If my uploads went from <1G to ~130G, I suspect they'd carefully explain to me what they really meant by 'unlimited'

I'd be happy to host some of your images, and there's several others who have offered. If we can find 10 people who can each take 7G/month, your problem is solved. You could probably put all your icons and graemlins on one site, and split the JOT mirroring load across the rest. It shouldn't be too hard to put together a perl script that will automagically split the load among the mirrors.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 15:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I'd be happy to host some of your images, and there's several others who have offered. If we can find 10 people who can each take 7G/month, your problem is solved. You could probably put all your icons and graemlins on one site, and split the JOT mirroring load across the rest. It shouldn't be too hard to put together a perl script that will automagically split the load among the mirrors.

My sentiments precisely. And I think a plum could be offered, like Superfandom, for those who reliably offered such services...

Or, you try and bastardize the page down to 1/3rd its size by being a computer science wonk such as myself, and not care about frilly things, and cut back at excessive branding [Wink] . All in all, I must say I'm kind of impressed by the functionality of Mozilla Composer - though I found it to still be quite the pain in the ass to work with. Give me HTML and vi any day of the week! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 16:03      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Tut would be more than happy to sell you some webspace... [Wink]

quote:
It shouldn't be too hard to put together a perl script that will automagically split the load among the mirrors.
Now if only we knew a pearl programmer... [Wink]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 16:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a javascript programmer for that matter.....

/me is not proficient in either.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 16:10      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well every little helps and I've got probably 50MB spare at Nildram.co.uk (backbone provider in the UK) plus I'd happily give up 10MB of my .mac account if that is reliable enough.

Again though, I don't know how pleased they would be for a couple of GB a month going through it.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 16:11      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If we can find 10 people who can each take 7G/month, your problem is solved. ..You could probably put all your icons and graemlins on one site, and split the JOT mirroring load across the rest.

Indeed- I have 25 gig/month transfer, I haven't used more than half a gig total in the past 12 months. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 16:46      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be glad to colaborate with Tut-an-Geek with the CSS/XHTML. The people who host TCTQ.net don't give me a whole lot of space or bandwidth, but I'd still be glad to help you out, after all, I owe you more than the $10.00 I give you every month.

I agree that there are too many images, and cutting them down, and cutting down on all the hard-coded hell with CSS would do a lot. PNG is a good idea even though it wouldn't save a WHOLE lot of space. If I can help you out Snaggy, please tell me, I'll give an arm and a leg to help you, hope you know that.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 08, 2004 17:42      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I can help with some bandwidth/image links. Let me know what I can do to help.

Peace and Love,
Bill

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 19:01      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the distribution of bandwidth among members idea is something that happens, I too have bandwidth to spare - a decent amount at that...Benefits of working at the particular ISP that I do.

Anyway, if mirrors of sorts are used to help remedy the situation, any spare bandwidth I have is now considered allocated. =)

Edit: not sure how much is actually consumed by this but, what about avatars?...voluntary hosting of ones own av maybe?

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 19:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about everyone does their part, and pretends to be the dragon for a week, and uses a textmode browser (or turns off graphics in their GUI browser) to peruse the forums? [Wink]

--------------------

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 19:35      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
How about everyone does their part, and pretends to be the dragon for a week, and uses a textmode browser (or turns off graphics in their GUI browser) to peruse the forums? [Wink]

Already doing that =) (links) Good idea though [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture