homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Famous Druid's book is away! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Famous Druid's book is away!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 22:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hmm, yeah, that was a bit of a nicer accent than my Aussie postal guy at work [Razz] .

Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home. The accent gets stronger, the 'colourful' language becomes far more colourful, and we drink far, far more than we do at home. It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

The scots do the same, my aunts and uncles back home comment on how strong my dads accent has got since he moved away.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted January 17, 2004 23:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home.

Like Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter? His accent's so outrageous, it sounds like someone doing a fake Aussie accent. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 23:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home.

Like Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter? His accent's so outrageous, it sounds like someone doing a fake Aussie accent. [Big Grin]
It sounds that way to me too !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 00:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

And they're all named Bruce. [Big Grin] "Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 05:29      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

And they're all named Bruce. [Big Grin] "Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"
*And* they all live at Earl's Court. B*st*rds. Keep the District Line Oz-free, I sez...
[evil] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 06:15      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love it when aussies say that they know about a great pub, and you just know they're going to say it's called "walkabout".

(walkabout is a chain of pubs in the uk that are aimed at aussie, kiwi and boks)

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 07:56      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tie me kangaroo down
Sport
Tie me kangaroo down...

Can y'tell what it is yet?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 2 posted January 18, 2004 08:49      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Tie me kangaroo down
Sport
Tie me kangaroo down...

In the 70's and 80's there was a soda named "Wallaby Squash" (it was a fizzy lemonade), and their jingle used that song.

Which is now stuck in my head...

"Drink me Wallaby Squash, sport, drink me Wallaby Squash..."

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 09:11      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AARRGGHH! Rolf Harris! Now I'll be thinking of that song all day! You should be spanked with Rolf's masonite board! (that's what he used to make that funny sound) [Big Grin]
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 16:45      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:

It sounds that way to me too !
Yep, agree with that too.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 16:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
AARRGGHH! Rolf Harris! Now I'll be thinking of that song all day! You should be spanked with Rolf's masonite board! (that's what he used to make that funny sound) [Big Grin]

Ahh, that would be his "wobble board". You haven't lived until you've heard his version of Stairway to Heaven, complete with wobble board effects.

I still think the Goodies episode where they captured Rolf Harris(es?) and put him in a zoo was one of their best.

Oh, and finally... "Trust British paints ... sure can!"

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 17:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Ahh, that would be his "wobble board". You haven't lived until you've heard his version of Stairway to Heaven, complete with wobble board effects.

Yes, a true gem of modern culture.

Cultural note for our furrin readers:
In the early 90s there was an excellent show on aussie TV called 'The Money Or The Gun' which had a running joke where they got various artists to come on and do 'Stairway to Heaven' in their own style.
So, we had disco STH, jazz STH, Rolf Harris STH, and my personal favourite, pirate-sea-shanty STH

"There's a lady who's sure
all that glitters is gold
and she's buying a stairway to heaven
toora-loora-loora-li
loora-loora-loora-li
oooooohhhhhh it wakes us wonderrrrrrrrr"

There's a CD, but sadly the pirate-sea-shanty version is not on it. [Frown]

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 17:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a group that put the words of the Gilligan's Island theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven. I only heard about it, I wish I could find a recording of it.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2004 18:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was a group that put the words of the Gilligan's Island theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven. I only heard about it, I wish I could find a recording of it.

The Australian National Anthem ('Advance Australia Fair') works quite well when set to the tune of 'Gilligans Island'.

--------------------

knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 08:42      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stairway to Heaven?!?!

My parents were listening to that the night I was concieved!!!! Please no more! ARRRGGGAHHHHHH!!

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2004 10:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by knightwhosaysNI:
Stairway to Heaven?!?!

My parents were listening to that the night I was concieved!!!! Please no more! ARRRGGGAHHHHHH!!

How do you know? Were you listening??

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2004 23:39      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to necropost, but thought N+S might like to know this.

I was in a Collins bookstore today at lunchtime, and not only was the JOT book in the bookstore, it was on display on top of the shelves, rather than just being on the shelves themselves. Well done, hope you get lots of people buying them!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture