homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Famous Druid's book is away! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Famous Druid's book is away!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 18:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Ok - rules:

4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Well that sucks duck-butt!

Gee, all you have to do is hang out until Feb. 2 and you win!

Can't you make it when the note arrives or the first business day you conceivably could pick it up? That would be more fair, really.

Jess

Why would I several days without my JOT book just to collect a worthless prize from myself???????

As far as I can tell, Australia post stopped actually delivering packages some years ago (they deny this).
For the past several years, all we get is a little "We tried to deliver this, but you were out, so now come pick it up from us" note, even if there was someone home all day. Lazy fscking posties!

Also, with international parcels, sometimes you have to go to the post-office and sign a customs form, depending on the whim of the post-office staff.

Anyway, if the note arrives on, say, Friday 23/1, it'll be after post office closing time by the time I see it, no post-office over the weekend, and Monday 26/1 is a holiday, so the earliest I can collect it will be Tuesday 27/1, 4 days after the note arrives.

So, just to keep you happy, if I get another note, the winning date will be the first post-office business day after the note arrives.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 5 posted January 04, 2004 18:49      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woohoo!

okay, having received my parcel (a rare sennheiser mic) today, january 5, from canada to australia, i can now make a more accurate hypothesis as to the date of arrival of druid's book.

only problem is, i don't know when i ordered it.
(flurry of browser windows to check online receipts etc)

okay, ordered 19/12, possible posted on the 20/12 from canada. given no service on most of those days, it took about 12 business days. (i didn't count public holidays or weekends, but i did count new years eve). thats very quick!

So, with GmX, I choose Tuesday 20th January, at roughly 10:37 for the note, pickup by evening.

dada!

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 19:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
woohoo!

okay, having received my parcel (a rare sennheiser mic) today, january 5, from canada to australia, i can now make a more accurate hypothesis as to the date of arrival of druid's book.

Does that mean that you're in Australia at present? Which city(ies), or just passing through?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 03:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

Love that Aibo one... [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 02:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

/me struggles to suppress the mental image of Spungo with a little robotic doggie. *shudder*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 04:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

/me struggles to suppress the mental image of Spungo with a little robotic doggie. *shudder*
I'm envisioning what Spungo could possibly write on the warranty form if Fido suffered a little .. er .. "mishap".

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 05:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Boy, you best be staying away from my Inuko...[/very poor language/grammar/spelling :-P]
Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 11:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! I got mine yesterday and spent the rest of the evening laughing. You even included some AY2K! Thanks a bunch! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 14:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the winner is
<drum-roll>
</drum-roll>

Just_Jess_B, who guessed 9 Jan.

Yes folks, it arrived today (8 Jan oz time) a mere 6 days since it was posted (5 allowing for the time difference). Given the time of year, that is a truly amazing result.

/me humbly apologises to aussie post for all the unkind things I said. They're all true, usually, but I apologise anyway.

I'll be contacting Jess soon to arrange delivery of her worthless prize.

btw - the book is awesome !
(what I've seen of it, my workmates snatched it away the moment I got in)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It Arrived !

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 07, 2004 15:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w h o a ! awesome!!! :-)

I knew they could do it! [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'll have to put in an order, and see if they can repeat the performance. [Big Grin]

Edit: Order just made, as of now...

Just for a challenge(and cause I'm a cheap, yet patient bastard), I chose surface mail (presumably TFD chose airmail).

Any guesses as to how long?

Surface mail is meant to take up to 20 days, btw...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 07, 2004 21:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks csk!

but... ... 20 days is surface to the USA.

Canada Post Surface International is as follows...
There are no published delivery standards for Surface Parcel service; however there is a service expectation of 4-6 weeks to most international destinations.

We've been told it can take up to two months! [Eek!]

Don't worry... we'll airmail it. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 6 posted January 08, 2004 19:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And the winner is
<drum-roll>
</drum-roll>

Just_Jess_B, who guessed 9 Jan.

I have to say, truly, I think this is the first thing I've actually won outside of spelling "siege" correctly in a schoolwide spelling bee -- thereby winning for the team I was on. And the assorted board and card games -- but never poker. I never play poker because I never win.

Wow... this is... wow.

And just this morning, I helped an elderly lady up a curb and bought my niece a great birthday present and parked a little too long in a 2-hour parking place without getting a ticket. So it's a great day. [Smile]

I'm not sure I ought to burden TFD with the cost of sending said worthless prize to the United States... we may be coalition members, but it still doesn't mean Homeland Security won't try to open it... [Wink]

However, my curiosity is piqued...

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 19:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he'll send you a recording of himself saying hello, if I remember my past threads correctly [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 14 posted January 08, 2004 19:23      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Maybe he'll send you a recording of himself saying hello, if I remember my past threads correctly [Wink]

Oh yeah!

And all that would cost is e-mailing the sound file to me... [Big Grin] ...

Jess

We still need to have the "Sexiest Accent" Challenge... I still think Aussie beats Welsh any day...

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Scottish myself. And Aussie.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Oh yeah!

And all that would cost is e-mailing the sound file to me... [Big Grin] ...

Jess

We still need to have the "Sexiest Accent" Challenge... I still think Aussie beats Welsh any day...

Suits me, just specify the preferred percentage of heavy-breathing, and provide a signed statement from Winter Solstice that he won't come after my blood. [Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I like Scottish myself. And Aussie.

<glaswegian>
Och away wi' ye' hen, ye'll make me blush. [blush]
</glaswegian>

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I get a medal?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 22:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Do I get a medal?

Nah, that's for making Zorro blush [Big Grin]
TFD is a challenge, but not that much of a challenge.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 20:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it took me a while to find the microphone in my 'filing system', and a while longer to get a few moments when there weren't any little girls running around squealing in the background, but for those of you who are interested, Jess' worthless prize can be found here

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 22:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, yeah, that was a bit of a nicer accent than my Aussie postal guy at work [Razz] . Not saying Rob isn't a nice bloke or anything, I just can't understand a word he says [Wink] . Okay, he's not that bad - and he's actually a pretty funny fellow. He'd be even better if he'd actually deliver mail to us [Big Grin] . Then again, he lets us take his van so we can bring our packages back to our office, so it's not a complete loss (except that it's a Ford van :-/. [bloody accelerator and steering have no *feel* to them, whatsoever]).
Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 6 posted January 17, 2004 22:39      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I was going to post it! You beat me to it!

[Big Grin]

Anyway, thank you very, very much for my special worthless prize; I found it quite charming and thoughtful. It was just of the type of thing I love to receive -- effort over expense.

Happy JoT-ing!

Jess

[tease TFD]

P.S.: Regarding what else you wrote, I'm simply wrought with imagination... [blush]

[/tease TFD]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 17, 2004 22:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture