homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » SCIENCE ALERT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SCIENCE ALERT
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2013 07:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING

If you have a decent scanner and a better antenna than the rubber ducky, that came with your scanner, you could listen in on some of the newest Satellites put into orbit this week.

Some relevant links

TJ3Sat
KySat-2
Live real time Satellite tracking

Some of the transmissions will be in voice (we call that Phone) some will be in data, if you are interested in seeing the photos and data ask for more info.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2013 08:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone from the GC forums found comet ISON? Here in Michigan the great lakes make for cloudy mornings.

The Register

I have been looking about the last hour before sunrise to catch a glimpse and perhaps a photo.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 22, 2013 13:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried yet... the pre-dawn time slot isn't helping.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance?pos=left

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2013 14:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, a nice man in Germany has a very good website called Heavens Above. Yes you have to set up an account however it will save your position, and all calculations are based on your GPS. Sun Rise Sun set, Moon rise and set, and very good tracking of Satellites. There is a lot of good info at his website. His sky charts are right on.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2013 07:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then this morning NBC News had an article on seeing Ison.

NBC News

It is getting brighter and closer to the sun, so please do not look at the sun.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2013 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this morning, I was up and waiting for sunrise. I got a glimpse of the comet by holding my thumb up the shield my eyes from the Sun, however that was not doable for the Camera.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 27, 2013 14:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome! Just waiting for some clear weather here!
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2013 14:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, my parents got me interested in Comets by telling me about Haley’s, of course that was back before the huge amounts of light pollution, that we have now. I have taken some very good film photos of comets back before digital cameras. So Friday and Sat. Nights I will be out freezing my tush just prior to sundown to see if I can catch sight of Ison as it departs the inner solar system.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2013 15:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forum members thoughts on this Idea, a Steering assembly from a front wheel drive car, Mounted very solidly with the axle pointed towards Polaris. Then an adaptor plate mounted to the wheel hub for mounting a camera. Then drive the axle with a one RPD clock. Frost free refrigerators used them as defrost timers, this should do away with the smear from the earth rotating during the time the shutter is open.

Thoughts?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2013 01:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming you aren't willing to spend the $200 for a cheap equatorial mount, I would suggest skip the cost of all the car parts and go with something more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_door_tracker

If you search online, you can find plans for motorized versions.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2013 07:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GS, that was good however the loads I plan on putting on the device, would exceed a good farm gate hinge. Think of the King Pin E/W and the Tie rod or Rack and pinion used as elevation.

The king pin vertical and the axle for elevation, however that requires a very good servo and controllers.

Think radio astronomy with a six foot dish plus a big lens for photography.

I was looking at MacPherson struts however the spindle is not perpendicular with the strut.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2013 19:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it appears that ISON much like Icarus melted.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 28, 2013 21:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
GULP!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2013 07:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ison may have faked it's own death?

BBC News

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2013 11:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every news story is weirder than before

India times

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture