homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » What good does it do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What good does it do?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2012 05:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice a year we have to put up with this BS. Why do governments do this crap. What the ____ good is DAYLIGHT LIGHT SAVINGS TIME. it still takes 23h 56m 4.098 903 691s to make one rotation. All daylight savings does is screw up peoples internal clock. Plus all the other ones that must be reset twice a year.

Lets see three clocks is the computer room one in the guest room, one each bathroom. four in the kitchen, two in the bedroom , The VCR yes we still have one, and two more in the living room. Then the clocks in the dashboards of the car and truck. I am glad that out in the ham shack I use GMT.

How much money does business lose because of time changes?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2012 10:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The illuminati are closely tied to the clock industry. DST was invented by the clock industry -- the idea is that it wears your watches / clocks down, thus forcing into their upgrade cycle. It's a conspiracy, backed by the Pentaverate*.

* "Well it's a well know fact, sonny Jim, that there's a group of the five wealthiest people in the world known as the pentaverate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers. And meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion known as, the Meadows. So who's in this pentaverate? The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettes, The Rothchilds and Col. Sanders before he went tets up. Oh, I hated the Col. with his wee beady eyes, and that smug look on his face, Oh your gonna buy my chicken, Oohh."

"Dad, how can you hate, the Col.?"

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smartass!"

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2012 12:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It gives the clock team at NIST an excuse to have a little party.

I am not joking.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2012 13:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm (mostly) happy to say that my alarm clock correctly changed its time to reflect DST, so props to the aforementioned team! (They correctly flipped the bit...woo-hoo!) †

Mind you, I say 'mostly,' because I find this changeover to be far from delightful. I'm really not sure having the time different for 4/8 months of the year really makes a hill of beans, and well...spring forward really sucks. [Razz] I'm not a morning person in the least, so tomorrow morning is going to be brutal -- and it definitely won't be helped in the least by the coffee I'll be having in a little bit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I quite like my Sunday afternoons, and I seem to have lost an hour from it. I need to take off and see if I can find it somewhere!

PS/† Barring my car and misc. appliances that insist on featuring clocks, since I don't wear a watch, almost everything I use to tell time has been automagically updated.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2012 06:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a few months of the year, you're not quite so deep in 'Yesterday'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2012 22:47      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Nest thermostats made the adjustment automatically. At least it wasn't freezing this morning when I woke up.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 08:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARRL/NIST

Well here at the Hill Top I set the programmable Thermostat to show Noon at true High Noon. Then the cool down begins Eight hours later, followed by warm up Eight hours before Noon.

However I often find the the Mrs has put the thermostat in hold mode because her nose felt cold.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture