homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Occupy Wall Street (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 00:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you've worked hard, it's easy to forget the luck factor in your success. But it's there. Which isn't to say only luck matters, because some oppurtunities only arise BECAUSE you work hard and also because if you're lazy you won't make anything of your luck. However, to illustrate my point, I have a tale of two labmates, A and B. Both went to small, private universities (as did I...that seems to be a common link among the post-docs who are US citizens in this lab). Both A and B got their degrees at highly prestigious universities. B even worked for a Nobel laureate. Both A and B, on arriving at this lab for their post-docs, won a nice fellowship from the National Research Council. Both bust ass as post-docs and on rolling off their NRCs apply for another presitigious fellowship. A gets it. B doesn't. Why? A applied a couple years ahead of B. The year B applied, the economy crashed and the fellowship was cancelled. Bad luck for B. You could be an ass-munch and claim that B should have finished grad school sooner, though that probably would not have saved him as, to finish sooner, he'd've needed a different advisor and may not have ever ended up in a position where applying for prestigious fellowships was a realistic option. Or you could say B should've been born earlier, but he had no control over that. The fact is, he just got screwed by forces beyond his control - it's hard to win money that no longer exists.

And, as for A, while the market was tanking he was busy looking for a job. He applied to 30 positions and all 30 searches were cancelled before his applications hit the right desks. He had better luck the following year, though.

And me? While the market was tanking I effing won my NRC. [crazy]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 06:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian wrote:
That's more like it.

The figure is disingenuous. Roughly 43% of households do not pay income tax, but 28.3% of those pay payroll taxes which cover their entire tax bill.

Here's the real picture of who doesn't pay taxes:

-

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 07:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that all editors have their own bias.

Income Inequality Is Not a Myth!

Funny how history repeats itself.

I also know that what trickles down is not money.

Well I have to go trickle down.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 16:58      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
That's more like it.

Except the poor often pay a larger share of their income to state and local taxes than the rich.

Still, no surprise that those subscribing to GOP economic policy are resorting to misleading statistics. The entire GOP Randian economic policy is based on fantasy.

Oddly enough, the GOP has become increasingly elitist lately. They actually claim that the rich are somehow more important to the economy than everyone else. Problem is, without a healthy middle class, the rich don't have an incentive to be "job creators".

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 17:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember Scott Olsen.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2011 08:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post at GRZ by W7ASA

Well, I for one am GLAD that the politicians are ordering this. I feel just GREAT knowing that they will defend us with all of the skill and self sacrifice which they have displayed to make the U.S. dollar as good as gold...... okay, so maybe that was a poor example.

Well then, the politicians will make us safe, just like they've made the united States the most loved nation on Earth.... oh wait, that didn't work out too well either.

Oh, they will handle this with the same expert knowledge and fidelity and sense of high moral justice as they defended our borders ... oh wait, the politicians ARMED Mexican drug gangs and blamed it on our Constitution, and didn't serve a single day in jail... but they DID give us government schools and put our educational standards waaaay up to..... or wait it was somewhere behind Zanzibar..

Never mind, I can't find a good example of those politicians handling anything well in the last 200 years or so.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2011 14:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Never mind, I can't find a good example of those politicians handling anything well in the last 200 years or so.

See? That's what you get when you rebel against your Rightful King.

If those colonial troublemakers had all been dealt with severely, today you'd have a proper Health Care System (complete with Royal Hospitals), drive on the Left like nature intended, and eat Cadbury Chocolate, not that vile Hershey muck.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2011 18:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how the folks in Z. Park are faring, but while I'm snowed in, I've started reading stale RSS. This one worked for me:
http://work.failblog.org/2011/10/26/job-fails-occupy-the-fridge/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2011 18:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Class Act: Americas top 'foreclosure' law firm has thrown a homeless-themed Halloween Party.

-

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2011 19:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you hear the one About the bankers?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 13:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Income inequality in the US in some rather stark terms, courtesy of Yahoo (pay special attention to how much the top 1%'s income has gone up since the 70's vs. everyone else's...we're looking at almost a factor of ten).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 14:08      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Irishman's view of Wall Street (NSFW without headphones due to some rather appropriate, IMO, language).

It's almost certainly staged, as the same man shows up in other videos making very similar rants, but I can't help but enjoy his wording.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 02:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of whether or not you agree with OWS (I personally do), I've been complaining for years about complacency in inequalities in our world, so I'm glad as hell to see people taking up the cause. I was in Baltimore over the weekend, and saw the Occupy Baltimore portion. I am heartened to see some people trying and making their voices heard.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture