homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Myers Briggs Bollocks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myers Briggs Bollocks
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 12:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I was bored and decided to take a few of them free online personality test thingies... Myers-Briggs doo-dahs. Turns out, I'm an "INTP" (yay me! woo hoo! I feel so special!)

Anyway, wot do you fink? Do they mean anything, or are they just a big ol' pile of codswallop?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 13:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTP here.

The description of INTP accompanying the test I did a while back was pretty spot-on for me, they even picked my career correctly.

I know a few other people who've done the tests, and thought the results were pretty accurate.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 13:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just all sounds too much like astrology to me, you know, the 16 types and all that.

"I'm Libra. So what sign are you?"

"Oh, I'm INTP, on the cusp of Git."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTJ. Middle two heavily dependent on my mood. It doesn't help that I have to restrain myself from gaming these tests. But what they say about INTJs is true for me.

On the other hand, when kreziserb took a Myers-Briggs the results were...weird. Sure, all the letters were correct, but the way the test said he was supposed to actually operate was just not him at all. According to the test, if the world was lucky he'd be a master salesman and if the world wasn't lucky he'd just be a con-artist. But that's not who he is at all. So either he hit a vein of hooey in the Myers-Briggs typing scheme or his parents molded him well.

BTW, according to the test, my type "should" be rather suspicious of his because his type "should" be full of shit. Except one of the reasons I married him is because he is completely and utterly NOT full of shit.

My feeling about the test is the insights can be useful but not useful enough to pigeon-hole people.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
According to the test, if the world was lucky he'd be a master salesman and if the world wasn't lucky he'd just be a con-artist. But that's not who he is at all.

He's got you conned then. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INSP actually comes closest to describing me, but I've never actually gotten that as a result when I've taken the test. I suspect the problem is that I'm a bit weirder than the test authors imagined anyone would be. There are always a bunch of questions that I can't give an honest answer to because the question either doesn't apply to me or my answer is something other than yes/no.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:31      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
According to the test, if the world was lucky he'd be a master salesman and if the world wasn't lucky he'd just be a con-artist.

I think that makes an inaccurate assumption that "master salesman" and "con-artist" are somehow not synonymous.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the difference is the side of the law they're on.

Trust me. He's not a salesman. Most of the examples are TMI, but I'll give you a snip of dialog from the last time we barbecued with friends:

Him: Hang on guys, the meat needs to rot a little bit longer.

Me: Don't you mean marinate?

Him: That's what I said.

[crazy]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 15:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally come out as an INTP on those tests. I think the Myers-Briggs can be useful for self-examination and for looking at some particular things that make people different; however, it's far from a complete picture, and the tests are also often easy to game, consciously or subconsciously. Used properly, it's a tool, and somewhat entertaining, but best taken with a grain of salt.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 18:06      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Oh Wow-eee!

Looks like INTPs and INTJs here. Those first three must make geeks!

It says I'm a J instead of a P. Time's a wastin" Let's get going! Can't wait for the real answer! Go with your gut and go!

That is what I say!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2010 08:13      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always an E but other things have changed overtime. I feel when I take the test that I'm never sure what to pick. The person who did the test for managers at work, says I'm transitioning, whatever that means.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2010 19:32      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it once. Found out my classification. Don't remember it. Couldn't care less.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture