homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » To me this is as bad as the oil spill.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To me this is as bad as the oil spill.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2010 03:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ To me this is as bad as the oil spill.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/19/2094866/states-sue-to-prevent-spread-of.html

____ I am unsure that they can live in Lake Superior, but all of the Southern Great Lakes are in Danger.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2010 06:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frakkin' carp, the European variety are a major problem here in oz, ploughing up river beds, displacing native fish, and generally making one helluva mess.

We've had a bit of respite recently, as they're not as drought tolerant as native species, so the locals have made a bit of a comeback. First real rains we get, there'll be a billion of the frakkers hatching, and we'll be back at war.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2010 07:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learn how to cook them so they taste good

profit

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2010 08:58      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They call em a "trash fish" and kill them in the hundreds. Then leave em on the bank to spoil. EAT WHAT YOU CATCH. Wasting fish... ANY fish is a sin.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2010 09:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
learn how to cook them so they taste good

profit

I've tried carp out here. The best they can do is "edible." If the asian carp is anything like that, "tasting good" is not likely.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2010 19:24      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I say!

If all you have is lemony carp, then make lemony fertilizer!

I sure hope the Steelerheaders and Salmons and Brown Leon Troutskys eat them.

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2010 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The problem with an invasive species is that there are no predators. They become the the master predator, and by the time that these fish get to catch them for fertilizer size they have eaten most of the photo-plankton that all the other fish need also.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2010 14:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an interesting 'genetic warfare' suggestion for the European Carp problem here in oz.

There's a gene that causes all of a fishes offspring to be male. Use genetic engineering techniques to make a few hundred of those fish, and release them in the rivers.

They mate with some girl fish, and produce a batch of sons...
who mate with some girl fish and produce a batch of sons...
who can't find any girl fish to mate with.

Problem solved!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2010 15:02      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Geek Fish?

Just a joke!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2010 10:58      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
There was an interesting 'genetic warfare' suggestion for the European Carp problem here in oz.

There's a gene that causes all of a fishes offspring to be male. Use genetic engineering techniques to make a few hundred of those fish, and release them in the rivers.

They mate with some girl fish, and produce a batch of sons...

Problem solved!

I'm sure that would work splendidly! [ohwell]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2010 05:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Oh that sounds good, all we need is a bunch of horny Carp. Hey do these things eat Crude Oil?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2010 07:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Hey do these things eat Crude Oil?

Fish can be forced to breath it, not that they like to though.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture