homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Dear video game authors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dear video game authors
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2010 15:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pair of 21" monitors set to 1920 x 1080 resolution. I realize that this isn't the average user's setup, but it's not that far away either.

When I buy a casual game such as Boggle or Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (these being the most recent offenders), I have to wonder what particular bit of jackassery lead you to believe that everyone wants the game to be full-screen by default with the resolution changed to 800 x 600 (much less 640 x 480). It wouldn't be bad if that were an option and the game started in windowed mode by default, but that -never- happens. Instead, I get to see my screen resolution go down, gargangtuan pixels, images stretched weirdly to fit the aspect ratio and any windows on my primary screen that are outside of the new resolution forced onto the secondary screen (and they don't resume their previous positioni when I quit the game or change it to windowed mode, either, so my carefully arranged widnows are now all piled up in one spot).

I'm not sure if you noticed, but it's not 1990 anymore. Screen resolutions have gone way, way up and computers can actually run more than one program at a time. Nobody wants an 640 pixel image stretched out to 1920 wide. People actually leave instant messaging, music , web browsers, email and all manner of other software running while they play games for a few minutes. It's not unreasonable to think that most of them would want to be able to see notifications from the programs that they didn't close.

Perhaps I should just be grateful that you bothered to include a windowed option at all, but I have to say that I don't feel very grateful. Mostly I feel like I should put the game up on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $0.01 and free shipping just to screw you out of a sale. That's not really a nice attitude, I know, but neither is screwing up my window layout.

Sincerely,
Grumpy
(and boy is my screen name appropriate at this moment)

P.S. It has nothing to do with the above rant, but I love this song.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2010 22:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while we're at it...

To the authors of general software who make dialog boxes that are about 40 characters wide, and can't be re-sized, then try to display 120 character wide strings in them...

Get a frakkin' clue!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2010 02:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get your boggle game in a cereal box. If so

a) I have the same game and problem.

b) kwitcherbitschen

I am sorry if the above comments do not apply to you.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2010 02:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen perhaps this site might help spread your joy. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2010 08:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
Did you get your boggle game in a cereal box.

Nope. It was given to me by a friend and it came in a standard plastic CD case, not an envelope, so I doubt she did either. I would guess that she got saw it in a bargain bin for a couple of bucks and thought "Bill likes word games!"

I did get a copy Clue from a cereal box. Nifty game, but it suffered the same issue of full-screen, low resolution graphics and didn't offer a windowed mode option. It's long since been given away.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2010 08:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had enough sleep and the quote button is far too close to the edit button.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2010 20:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously I realize this doesn't fix the stupid design...but it occurs to me that if the game was run in a VM, the resolution of the host computer would never be affected, and life would be good. [Smile] It's kind of like using a flame thrower to kill a fly, but...if you've got the propane, and propane accessories, you might as well use them. [Razz]

My gripe on dual monitors lies with Flash's charming quality of exiting full screen as soon as you use the mouse or keyboard on the other screen. I know you can hack it, as per Lifehacker, but I'd just assume not do that. I realize that some of it would certainly appear to be an antiphishing mechanism, but I'd like to think that some kind of clever workaround could be found, and/or a pref. that forces you to acknowledge implications.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2010 00:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When were these games made? I've only had that problem with old ones. (Though if they're going to continue selling them, licensing them to companies to use as freebies, etc, they should really update the window size and/or resolution.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2010 02:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't complain if it was a game like the original Monkey Island... I expect issues like that from programs that are that old. Both Boggle and Ravenhearst are copyright 2007, though... not terribly new, but they definitely don't pre-date dual screen setups and higher resolutions.

I don't expect this sort of thing to ever change or go away, either, I was just irritated at the moment and felt like ranting, pointless though it may be. *shrug*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2010 13:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More importantly, if you have a cut scene, FUCKING LET ME SKIP IT.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2010 13:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mass Effect's elevator scenes *nod*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2010 19:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:

I just stopped hating Twilight fans [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 02:31      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Callipygous wrote:

I just stopped hating Twilight fans [Big Grin]

The Trekkies have always had the Furries to thank for that, too.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 08:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind furries and I dated one for a while, so I can't really dislike them. They're a bit weird, but they aren't hurting anyone and there's far creepier stuff out there to dislike.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 01:35      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said anything about liking or disliking?

We could, I suppose, compare and contrast the relative sanity and well-adjustedness of various subcultures.

I think both the TwiMoms and furries are symptomatic of deeper societal issues.

--------------------

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 16:30      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the original question. I'm betting either the games were quick ports from a console or were simply designed for one with a pc/mac version as a no frills side build which would mean the team handling that version would have limited time to get it done.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture