homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The New Doctor **CAUTION: POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The New Doctor **CAUTION: POSSIBLE SPOILERS**
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 10:50      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how I feel about him yet. Maswan likes him... but he's no David Tennant. (I'm change resistant.)

I like the new companion though. I think she might be my second favorite in the new series, after Martha Jones.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 11:00      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
certainly liking the better writing and production. Tennant was certainly one of the better actors in the role and really did a lot with the character but he was saddled with a producer and writers that wanted to turn Dr Who into a dumbed down kids program aiming at the same age group as Sarah Jane Adventures.

Matt Smith definitely seems to be getting the hang of things and his version of the Doctor is growing nicely, so actually enjoying the series again [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 11:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ No, you have got to go back to Tom Baker and Lalla Ward two time lords in the same Tardis. [Geek]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 11:12      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the new intro.

We've been watching the classic Dr. Who, and I think the Davies series did a good job of evoking some of the classic sci-fi cheesiness (though it got a bit out of hand at the end--that last story with the Master should have been spread over a full season).

I am hoping the Moffat series will be much darker, though so far it hasn't achieved quite the same level of "Holy Jesus I am going to watch this episode with a blanket over my head!" that his earlier episodes had.

Like the weeping angels were much scarier to me last time they appeared. (Though the one coming out of the TV was pretty freakin' terrifying.)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 20:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else think the bishop's voice was an obvious impersonation of Ace Rimmer?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 21:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me a little bit to juggle the wibbly-wobbliness of the "Professor" bit...(WIN!) and I was just glad to see the good Dr. Song return. The "Library" episodes from last series were great. [Big Grin]

The weeping angels were definitely scarier last go around -- in no small part to the awesome shooting of it. The fast cuts made them qualify for 'watching from behind the sofa.' As such, "Blink" will remain very high in my 'best episodes' list.

Smith is neat enough, and I can hardly complain about Gillan. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 04:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Matt Smith and Karen Gillan look promising. There is already a good relationship, with an unstated sexual tension between them, she is utterly gorgeous (she has I believe a real star quality, so may not be with the show for long), and has the right mixture of pluck and vulnerability. He is also attractive and a bit otherworldly, making it easy to believe that he is not entirely human. I hope he does not overdo the mad professor thing that comes with his tweed jacket and bow tie, because the Doctor should also have a thuggish even slightly scary side. We should never feel completely comfortable with him.

The weeping angels were never going to make as much of an impact the second time around, but still have enough going for them to be worth revisiting. Do you think they will morph into another physical form in the next episode? My favourite moment was the arrival of the troops when we learn that their commander has the rank of bishop. I also liked that the only explanation we are given is that the Church has "moved on"! Nice understated satyrical wit, in the best Dr Who tradition.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 03:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the angels are not so scary this time. Just having more doesn't make it scarier. On the other hand, the one coming out of the TV was scary as hell.

Of course it was cribbed from The Ring, but I think some of Moffat's strength comes from choosing imagery that already has frightening associations and then using it to great effect. I am hoping we see some aliens that move like disjointed japanese ghosts at some point.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture