homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » We're all doomed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We're all doomed
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 23:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a memory card for the druidlings camera today.

-

The civilization that does this can't last.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 03:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, The package has nothing to do with the capacity, I have a 2Gig MicroSD card for my Cell Phone, my thumb nail is bigger than that little piece of plastic. Let alone the commercial packaging. By the way it appeared about the same as yours.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 09:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is terrible to think how much plastic is being used to wrap up a postage stamp sized card. But, as you know, the logic is to make it difficult to take off with small items like memory cards.

While I understand the logic, I wish there was some way to make it both theft proof and still keeping the packaging sensibly small.

However, most of the ideas such as locking cabinets, or using a card based system requires a staff that is both helpful and available. Not an easy thing these days.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 14:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ And these packages are not eazy to open, I just go out to the barn and get the big tin-snips.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 14:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ And these packages are not eazy to open, I just go out to the barn and get the big tin-snips.

I use the can-opener on my swiss army knife.

btw - the package shown above was quite easy to open.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 15:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I wholeheartedly agree about how silly it is to use that much packaging, I am aware of the practical reason for it - theft protection in stores. You can't walk off with a ton of them without being conspicuous. (Nevermind the idea of taking them /out/ of the packages and absconding with the contents...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2010 06:28      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've hit the minimum practical size of portable storage in the MicroSD card. Those things are tiny! Any smaller and the "portable" aspect will be compromised (though that won't stop smaller storage modules from being integrated into devices).
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 10:20      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allegedly we will be seeing terabyte ssd's about the size of a postage stamp in the next few years.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/11/coming-soon-postage-stamp-sized-1tb-ssds/

--------------------
David Rogers

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture