homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The yoong programmers t'day...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The yoong programmers t'day...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 14:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I uploaded video from my DV camera to a computer, it was on my mother-in-law's 'Graphite' iMac, that's a 400 mHz G3, with 256 MB of RAM.

It worked quite nicely, so nicely in fact that I was inspired to get an iMac for Casa del Druid, a flat panel G4, 800 MHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Again, it worked quite nicely, and I've been using it for some years.

Last weekend, Casa del Druid took delivery of a hand-me-down iMac G5, with a very nice 20" screen, 1.8 GHz G5, and 768 MB of RAM. The screen being so much bigger than the old iMac, I decided that would be the video upload/editing machine from now on.

Big mistake.

The frakking thing just won't upload more than a few minutes of video before crashing. A quick check on the Apple website reveals that I don't meet the minimum hardware requirements for iMovie 08.

This is frakking ridiculous, it worked on a 400 Mhz G3, but an 1800 Mhz G5 isn't enough. WTF???

<accent type="bad stage Yorkshire">
The yoong programmers t'day...
</accent>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 16:13      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I understand. You had iMovie '08 working on a 400 MHz G3? Or, did you have an older version?

Well, according to the system requirements, you're 100 MHz short; Apple says you need an iMac G5 with a 1.9 GHz processor. How frustrating is that?

Oh, if you've got extra memory of the right kind, see if you can't bump that guy up to at 1GB of RAM, see if that doesn't help.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 17:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
I'm not sure I understand. You had iMovie '08 working on a 400 MHz G3? Or, did you have an older version?

No, an earlier version if iLife.

My complaint is that the earlier version managed to upload quite nicely, and yet the new software, running on hardware that's got easily 8 times the processor grunt, can't keep up.

The programmers responsible for this travesty need a good hard kick up the iBehind.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 17:48      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exponential growth in hardware efficiency is countered by the exponential slowdown in software [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 17:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iMovie 08 is braindead anyway. The previous version (06) is much better.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 21:22      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I agree that software bloat sucks big time, it is a symptom of the push for more features with less programmer time.

Multiple bosses at multiple companies have asked me why we can't do a project with lesser CPU or memory requirements. I usually reply that we can easily do it with lesser hardware requirements - but it will take several times longer and / or we will have to sacrifice some features.

Since I have always worked on embedded systems, the cost of the additional hardware requirements is directly tied to the cost of goods for the product. (Unlike desktop software where additional hardware costs are hidden from the publisher). It is usually pretty easy to see that it is cheaper to pay for the extra MHz of speed or extra RAM than it is to pay for the extra software engineer time. Now most of the products I have worked on sell thousands of units so a few extra bucks per unit doesn't buy that much software development time. If you start talking 100's of thousands of units, then being able to cut the hardware requirements by paying for extra engineer time makes sense.

As I said above - desktop software publishers experience $0 extra cost if the system has greater hardware requirements. As such - they have very little financial incentive to spend extra engineer money devoted to optimizing the software. People buy software based on features, price and lack of bugs. The amount of RAM or CPU power is usually a pretty minor concern to them.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 03:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Its not just Application and OS bloat any more. I am sure some of you remember the text or frames era of the internet. I live rural dial up is the method of connection, unless I am willing to go to the dark side. So some news sites that really don't need tons of extra frames BS do, just so I can read a freaking text story SHHHHHH.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture