homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I *HATE* where Linux is going (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I *HATE* where Linux is going
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 09:10      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok -- so my experiences with Linux has gone South recently -- it's all very depressing. First off -- getting hold of it is tough -- I don't trust these fly-by-night-looking CD shops (of which there are only 2 in Canadia) who seem to charge a lot for old discs and just want your credit card details -- fsck that! Now, you can't get boxed distributions anymore from reputable stores (which I liked), so, you're forced to download it somewhere -- which involves tying up yer machine for three days as the iso's are so obscenely large and no one in the western world these days can avoid ISP throttling, 'cos they think yer pirating movies or something. Anyway, let's say you manage to download what you want -- and yer checksums match (a rarity in itself) -- now try installing it -- and bang! -- you're into the hardware detection lottery -- (I've lost count how many times distribution X totally fails to install on machine Y). Now, let's say it installs ok -- you take a look around to see what there is -- and you conclude that in the immensity of bloat, there are distinct absences of what you (reasonably) think should be there -- no LaTeX, no X11 headers and libraries -- + lots more. (I recently installed Puupy Linux -- nice slick little dist -- but no "vi" -- can you believe that shit? No frigging vi! If you type vi on the command line, it spouts some shit about busybox (another piece of crap) having only a buggy version of vi, and you should intead use their editor em^%rt$3fg2 or some such junk).

Anyway, the point of this rant is that I'm a simple geek with simple needs -- all I want is gcc, perl, LaTeX, developer headers and libraries, etc. -- the kind of stuff that used to be standard in proper old-school Unix/Linux -- back in the good old days (RedHat 6.2. -- a golden dist had all this -- but don't even try to run it on hardware post-1999). And the Linux community itself has been taken over by teenage asshats who only want wobbly windows on their desktop, and the latest asshole codec. They can all go to Hell.

So -- fsck it -- I'm switching to Intel Solaris -- I know, it's slow and has a crap Gnome, but it has most of what I want. So see ya, Linux -- I may be back later -- but not until you remember the virtues of observing old-school values. Until then, you can eat penguin shit.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 11:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it...my post got eaten by grues.

Anyway, I highly recommend Knoppix, though it may be a little less perfect for install, as opposed to just running from disc.

Should you still have download woes on something, lemme know, and I'd be happy to post you a disc. I'm glad to still be one of the living GCers. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 11:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about FreeBSD rather than Solaris? I've had good experiences with it on old and crufy hardware. To me, the interesting parts of solaris would be ZFS and containers technology, but I don't think I can really take advantage of them on my older hardware at home.

FWIW, we use ubuntu at work.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 13:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ubuntu will send you an installation disc for free, the hardware detection is good (I switched to Ubunto because it's the only distro that would work with my old laptop wireless card without hours of fiddling) and if there's anything you want that doesn't come on the disc, the package manager makes installing it very easy.

Or, if you want to run Windows on the same box, you could install VMWare and run one of the pre-packaged linux VM images, you'll never have to worry about hardware detection again, and it's a lot more convenient than the dual-boot-tango.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 14:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Or, if you want to run Windows on the same box, you could install VMWare and run one of the pre-packaged linux VM images, you'll never have to worry about hardware detection again, and it's a lot more convenient than the dual-boot-tango.

Likewise, I'm running CentOS with next-to-no effort inside VMware on OS X. VMware "Appliances" are pretty awesome things, and I've been a long-time fan of VMware. Next up, I need to get more RAM for my MacBook, and it'll really fly! (I've found that running Firefox on OS X, along with CentOS and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition simultaneously, slows my MacBook down ever-so-slightly with just 1 GB of RAM. [Wink] )

P.S. Now I have to second spungo's moanings, as it appears to be damn-near-impossible to get Knoppix 5.3.1 via HTTP/FTP. I'm sorry, but I do *not* use BitTorrent. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 15:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAM is so cheap that maxing it out is a no brainer. Incidentally Leopard which used to gobble up RAM really quickly has suddenly become much better behaved in the last month or so. I suspect it may be to do with the WebKit that arrived with Safari 3.1.1, but the difference is dramatic on my iMac. I think that it may be ready for installing on our work machines now.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 16:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, folks -- I'm not really that grumpy -- only on no-doughnut days. [Wink]

Having spent much of this afternoon tweaking Puppy linux, I'm a little more impressed with it. (It now has LaTeX, gcc, et al) -- and still only consumes the smallest lump of disk-space. It did require a fair amount of intervention (like how do you

$ cp /spungo/busybox /bin/busybox

when 'cp' is part of the (old) busybox -- hence it won't allow you to copy over a running programme... got around that eventually... )

Considering that this was all installed via usb stick (no cd-rom on that thinkpad wot was purchased for $10 at a flea market). Try doing that with anything Microsofty! [Wink]

Anyway, cheers once again!

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ spungo I feel your pain, no I really do. The big IBM Intellistation I was bragging up has issues booting up with a Ubuntu 6.10 install all appears to go correctly then it reboots and the screen fills with GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

Now I am quite sure that is not supposed to happen, but I may be wrong on that. Any way I am going to try again tomorrow with a different drive, or maybe use the drive here in the house and clone it, then install into the comp. out in the barn. Then the task of putting Wine on the thing so I can run Multi-PSK and MMSSTV both of those programs are at present only windows UGH, UGH again.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 19:59      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mo:

Here's an article from OnLAMP about a Grub issue that sounds almost exactly like yours.

Hope that helps somewhat.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 03, 2008 21:46      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine just spent the better part of a month trying to get openSuse 10.3 installed on one of his machines. Wouldn't load the Xserver with an nVidia 5500 chipset. Worked fine on another, nearly identical setup with a 5200 card. Go figure. He even bought 2 non-ATI/nVidia cards to see if it would work with no go.

He's on satellite, so his downloads are limited to a gig a week. I burnt an ISO for him, and that didn't work. He bought the commercial version from Suse, that didn't work. Another friend of his lent him an nVidia 6200 series card, got it to install. After which, and currently, he can't get Acronis to give him a bootable clone.

I once tried to move to Linux (SuSE) fulltime, but couldn't do it (needed too many Windows/Mac specific programs). Now, I have a PPC Mac running the latest version of Tiger and couldn't be happier. I will be ecstatic once I get an Intel Mac so I can run OS X, Windows and Linux.

In the end, though, I'm not convinced that Linux is ready for serious, home/consumer use. It's great in the server room, great for those who don't need more than the basics (OpenOffice, Email, Web access), but, once you start needing things like Quickbooks, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc, you're SOL. Plus, I always find myself tweaking Linux more than using the system. Also find myself doing that with Windows. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't.

Although, considering how little work I put into maintaining my OS X machine, I may actually have become less productive. I mean, all I do now is directly related to my work.

Crap, now I'm all inefficient.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 01:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, if any non-Windows OS is to take a serious hold of any large market [read: corporate], it'll be Linux. Macs just won't cut it for anything that needs to be managed, and the additional cost of hardware and software isn't worth it.

Even Apple recognizes this - I was watching a compilation of the en_GB Mac vs. PC ads, and the Mac guy says 'Why would you use a boring PC for your home stuff?' If you take this to its logical extension, Apple is saying that its offerings are playthings, meant for home use, and that there is a practical place for 'business computers.' Shades of Ford getting bent out of shape by economical parents and grandparents making the Ford Focus look 'uncool,' I bet Apple might not even like it if Mac got a serious foothold in the industry. This would wreck their margins, and kill their 'underdog' status.

I can definitely see Apple getting a bigger piece of the home user market, and I pretty much think this is a good thing in many regards...for now. Windows is simply too hard for home users to use and maintain responsibly - you really need an IT dept. to do the boring stuff like 'saying no' every now and again. For instance, 'No, you can't install pirated warez that have trojans.'

However, Apple has it easy right now, as attacks on OS X are pretty limited. It's easy to mock this idea, but take heed: The greater the market share, the more malicious software writers are going to focus on attacking OS X. OS X is simply *not* that secure. For that matter, Windows isn't inherently insecure...it's just that the majority of users run it in an insecure configuration. Go ahead, run Windows as a regular (non-administrative) user, and let me know when you've seriously hacked it. I run Tiger without admin rights, and the big difference is that I almost never need to use them. Home users on Windows routinely see the need to install things, and many apps just don't work well without admin rights. Personally, I adore the .app format, and just place things I need inside a folder in my profile. I'm sure many other Mac users would place it in /Applications and hit 'Authenticate,' but this is the very habit that is going to get people to install trojans. It's even easier when you consider zero-day exploits, like the extraordinarily clever one a few weeks ago involving Flash. (It was exactly the sort of thing that would evoke a "That's *impossible!*" remark out of me, except that few folks around me would get/enjoy the delivery.)

Ugh...it's all a mess. It's just that one should really say that one platform is absolutely the best or absolutely the worst...it's how they're used and supported that counts! Apple may have good support for home users, but it's utterly dreadful for corporate support. If Dell were to offer the same level of support they do for Windows for Linux...I bet it could do very well if companies started switching. (Maybe they do...I don't have any such support contracts...and can generally figure out Linux stuff myself. OTOH, I have dealt with their Windows support, and it really is top-notch.)

Also...I get grumpy about these things, and I'm sure most will take this with a grain of salt. Still, the above is my $0.02 USD and I'll stand by it.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 04:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Ok -- so my experiences with Linux has gone South recently -- it's all very depressing. First off -- getting hold of it is tough -- I don't trust these fly-by-night-looking CD shops (of which there are only 2 in Canadia) who seem to charge a lot for old discs and just want your credit card details -- fsck that! Now, you can't get boxed distributions anymore from reputable stores (which I liked), so, you're forced to download it somewhere -- which involves tying up yer machine for three days as the iso's are so obscenely large and no one in the western world these days can avoid ISP throttling, 'cos they think yer pirating movies or something. Anyway, let's say you manage to download what you want -- and yer checksums match (a rarity in itself) -- now try installing it -- and bang! -- you're into the hardware detection lottery -- (I've lost count how many times distribution X totally fails to install on machine Y). Now, let's say it installs ok -- you take a look around to see what there is -- and you conclude that in the immensity of bloat, there are distinct absences of what you (reasonably) think should be there -- no LaTeX, no X11 headers and libraries -- + lots more. (I recently installed Puupy Linux -- nice slick little dist -- but no "vi" -- can you believe that shit? No frigging vi! If you type vi on the command line, it spouts some shit about busybox (another piece of crap) having only a buggy version of vi, and you should intead use their editor em^%rt$3fg2 or some such junk).

Spungo, you do realize that Ubuntu will send you a CD set, right? Absolutely free, not even shipping and handling.

(Edit: I see TFD already mentioned this, but I left it for the link.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 13:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________Mr. Dave Thanks for the heads up. Armed with that info. I attacked the beast again, any way the ATA Drives would have nothing to do with letting me get Ubuntu 6.1 onto them and then rebooting correctly however the SCSI drive just running the installer script and all went well, go figure. Any way I now have it set up dual boot with WinBlows and 6.1 and will put wine and the two apps, that I want onto it and then blow out windows.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2008 15:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...it's as if /. read my mind:
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/08/05/04/1453208.shtml

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2008 03:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Yep, that's /. all right. The response to an article about how Apple doesn't focus on corporate customers consists of:

1. People complaining about the hypothetical servicing of Macs, if they had them at their companies, which they don't.

2. People praising Apple's consumer service, and apparently unable to understand why running to the mall with the HR computer and hanging around the Apple store is not really a viable option for companies.

3. People crying about how they need to run <insert Windows software here> and cannot possibly switch to a Mac.

Good old Slashdot.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2008 18:12      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intel Solaris?!? Wow, I like Solaris but, I've generally found that you get much slimmer chances in the x86 solaris hardware lottery than linux (it never recognised my sata drives). There again, if you get it working, and are willing to devote a primary partition to it then it's a really interesting OS. I really like the SMF stuff for service management (check out what contracts are and you'll suddenly realise how shiny it can be to get the kernel to keep an extra-close eye on your special processes). That said, I love it more on sparc (don't get me started on trying to get to a safe/single-user mode on intel without having the foresight to put it in your grub menu ahead of time).

Seriously though: I have to say, I do find myself agreeing with the original sentiment... without the download issues.

I mean, I feel that the choices of distributions severely limited since Ubuntu made its impact on the scene, and that it's limited people's views to a large degree; people have started to say "We can't compete with that (at least in terms of mindshare), let's not try". As a result you see a drop in "the geek's distro" and "the XYZ distro". The closest thing I can think of in a geek distro is gentoo, and that's just plain old masochism. And it didn't have vi or vim on the setup by default.

I have to say, I'll join the ranks and say I'd love to see a nice simple developer's distro, where you get a usable dev system on the one disc.

Bottom line: sometimes I don't want my distros to be freaking user-friendly. I want them to be me-friendly and that means dev-friendly without having to go downloading "exotic" things like dev packages. (Seriously, it took me forever to realise that Ubuntu had a "build-essentials" package to be downloaded in order to allow me compile anything beyond Hello World)

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2008 06:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: Nicely said. [Smile]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 06:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Yep, that's /. all right. The response to an article about how Apple doesn't focus on corporate customers consists of:

1. People complaining about the hypothetical servicing of Macs, if they had them at their companies, which they don't.

2. People praising Apple's consumer service, and apparently unable to understand why running to the mall with the HR computer and hanging around the Apple store is not really a viable option for companies.

3. People crying about how they need to run <insert Windows software here> and cannot possibly switch to a Mac.

Idiot infested Slashdot.

Fixed that for you.

I like Linux. I don't care if other people like Linux. Mac OS X and Windows INFURIATE me. I find them unbelievably stupid, and make it difficult to do the most menial of tasks. I realise I'm different and it just ain't for me. I'm OK with that.

Also, I'm the debian randomiser: nine. nine. nine. nine. nine. nine. nine. nine. nine.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 10:30      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anovadea:
I have to say, I'll join the ranks and say I'd love to see a nice simple developer's distro, where you get a usable dev system on the one disc.

Yeah! That's what I wanted to say. Hey -- maybe we should make our own if no other bugger wants to do it... GC Linux... Geek Linux... Geekix!

Yeah, Geekix! [Smile]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2008 01:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a family-friendly distro, with kernel-level filtering of pr0n and other 'filth'?

We could call it 'Kleenix'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2008 09:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a distro with a guaranteed long shelf-life?

We could call it Durix.... errr...oh. maybe not. [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 06:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Spungo, you do realize that Ubuntu will send you a CD set, right? Absolutely free, not even shipping and handling.

Ubuntu is shit. The default install doesn't even give you any header files -- (but you get a "cc" -- what's the friggin' point of that?)

My real concern is that the curse of bloat is as endemic in the Linux world as it is with MS. An operating system should never need more than a gig of diskspace -- plus, it should concentrate on working correctly, as opposed to looking all pretty. And these bastards that make all these big distributions can't even maintain any compatibility -- e.g., Ubuntu may be a Debian derivative, but do Debian .debs work in Ubuntu? F*cking assholes!

A linux dist should follow these rules:

a) be no bigger than 1 CD
b) have all you need to get going (developer stuff)
c) observe a decent level of standardisation
d) no transparent xterms (get'em later if you want 'em)
e) no eye-candy crap (see "d")
f) no shitty busybox (personally I like / use man pages, e.g. -- they should be mandatory)
g) no emacs! (Ok, maybe not... just my taste [Wink] )

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 12:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And these bastards that make all these big distributions can't even maintain any compatibility -- e.g., Ubuntu may be a Debian derivative, but do Debian .debs work in Ubuntu? F*cking assholes!

Really? I remember using .debs in Ubuntu a little while back. I guess it's either changed quite a bit with the last couple of versions, or I don't remember correctly.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 16:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
And these bastards that make all these big distributions can't even maintain any compatibility -- e.g., Ubuntu may be a Debian derivative, but do Debian .debs work in Ubuntu? F*cking assholes!

Really? I remember using .debs in Ubuntu a little while back. I guess it's either changed quite a bit with the last couple of versions, or I don't remember correctly.
Yeah, .deb and .rpm and even .yum are all double-click-installable in Ubuntu, as of Gutsy Gibbon (7.10).

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2008 17:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ spungo _ Get a copy of the ISO DigiPup, A communications receiver that will tune to 14.070Mhz. Start the comp with the CD single click Fldigi. look for OpMode then choose PSK-31 play with the sound controls until have yellow bars coming down the screen. You may have to hook up a microphone to the comp. then click one of the yellow bars you should see the typed conversation between two hams as it happen. I just made a contact into Costa Rico and into Spain today.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture