homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Dogville

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dogville
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2008 07:14      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this film for the first time last night. Oh my God. Anyone here seen it? Oh my God. Yes, it's long and weird, but... oh my God. Oh my God...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 03:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen it, but after a review like that, it's on my list.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 04:45      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know what you mean, spungo... after I'd finished watching it, I couldn't stop talking about it for days.

I've never seen a film which made me feel so creeped out and violated on behalf of its protagonist. And I quite dislike Nicole Kidman as an actress, so the fact that I still really feel for her and am convinced by her performance is saying something. There's nary a poor performance in the whole thing, in fact.

Plus, the sets (bare sound-stage with chalk outlines mapped on the ground of where buildings should be) work beautifully... they make the atmosphere all the more claustrophobic and powerful, and give the action more immediacy, I think.

If you haven't seen it, go watch, now! [Wink]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 05:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Skylie -- so much taste and good judgement in one so young.

Glad yer back, lady! [Wink]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 01:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that one.

Yeah, I saw that a couple years ago. (The thing about the sets recalled it to memory.)

Personally, I think that kind of stage setting is better left to live theater. I think it would have been much more powerful if it had been couched in a more realistic setting. My opinion on the sets differs from Skylar's. For me it didn't make it more powerful or immediate, it removed the action and distanced the emotional impact. Yeah, the story is twisted and what happens to Kidman's character is perverse, but I don't think it's the most emotionally charged representation of that kind of violation that I've seen in movies.

But yeah, I think the story/script was very well done--that's one thing that I think the stage-type setting really did accentuate. A lot of movies end up being so full of effects that you don't get a clear picture of how strong the script is.

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 04:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I didn't quite swallow Nicole Kidman's change of heart at the end at first -- it didn't really make any sense... but I think the director was making a Brechtian point (ooh -- that's two big words I know now) -- I think the idea was to challenge the audience's idea of right and wrong and rationalisation and all that... in a kind of depressing we're all doomed kinda way... I dunno...

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 02:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Yeah, I didn't quite swallow Nicole Kidman's change of heart at the end at first -- it didn't really make any sense... but I think the director was making a Brechtian point (ooh -- that's two big words I know now) -- I think the idea was to challenge the audience's idea of right and wrong and rationalisation and all that... in a kind of depressing we're all doomed kinda way... I dunno...

I didn't have difficulty with the ending. Maybe I'm generally more cynical, but Kidman's character was so good, she just kept taking it, and I don't (it's been a while) remember her being angry about it until the end. Hurt, frightened, sure, but not really angry. I don't know that it's really so much doomed as that we make our own choices. The people of Dogville made theirs in how they treated Kidman, if they were doomed, they did it to themselves. In the end, Kidman made her choice too, but I'm not sure I can see it as dooming herself. Hard call. Would she be less doomed if she went through life as a perpetual victim?

(I hope that's vague enough not to be a spoiler.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture