homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Stoner-like idea stream.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoner-like idea stream.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 20:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, I haven't been intoxicated in any form since my birthday, but this thought just came to me, all at once. It reminded me of thoughts I used to have back when I was doing things with greenery on a much more frequent basis. So here it is:

I think the reason people are so distant and have trouble connecting with each other now days is because we have SO much information available at our fingertips. Never before have we had this amount of information available so quickly, and never before have we had to categorize it so rapidly.

Being forced to sort this much data so rapidly forces us to essentially sort it into two categories: "directly affects me" and "doesn't directly affect me," and because we have so much information and are overloaded with it, anything that falls in the later category is immediately discarded. It should be noted that most things that are truly important: the way people feel, the thoughts they have and want to share, their emotional state... frequently fall into this second category, and so the most important things in a person... in fact, those very things that make us human.. are discarded and ignored. As such, everyone feels disconnected and emotionally detached.

AND BECAUSE OF THIS... all the technology that we try to tell ourselves makes us more "connected"... actually makes us more separated as we become more and more chiefly concerned with "what affects me."

Discuss...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 22:01      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Seriously, I haven't been intoxicated in any form since my birthday, but this thought just came to me, all at once.

Seriously, I think you've put this one damn close to the button.

I think that sometimes, events in our lives give cause for introspection, and I gather just such an event has passed near to you recently. In stopping to search for the "deeper meaning" you've hit a realization that rarely occurs to the rest of us as we focus on the more-immediate problem of just keeping up with our own lives.

A shame that the sort of wisdom we need more of should be brought on by the sort of event we need fewer of, but I think that's called "Life."

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 26, 2008 23:51      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, the one could have absolutely nothing to do with the other. What do I know, eh?

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 08:40      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Postmodernism [Smile]

But yes, information overload does desensitize us to many things that we feel are irrelevant. It's simply impossible to keep up with everything at once.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture