homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The problem with Facebook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The problem with Facebook
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2007 15:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, I like the theory of Facebook -- you know, a social corner where you can get in touch with people whose names you never thought you'd hear again, the potential for amassing a ridiculous number of "friends" that you only try to include to kid yourself that you actually have friends, or are instantly capable of doing so, should you ever feel the need, and all that -- but, the reality turns out to be something different. What it really is, is a place where people can send you shit. Lots of shit. Mountains of shit. It's where you can re-connect with someone from 20 years ago, only to remind yourself why it is you hate them. It's a portal for shit. Stupid fscking chain letters. Stupid fscking applications that you wait half an hour to install, and turn out to be as completely childish and stupid as you suspected they were all along, and afterwards, when there glistening on your profile, you feel somewhat cheap and pathetic, as if you've just spent a late evening watching poorly-dubbed, paint-by-numbers, German soft-pr0n.

What the world really needs is a place where you can plan romantic trysts with that cute girl that you can barely remember (but probably lusted after) from early high-school -- a place where people ( I mean, women) forget that you tried to drunkenly chat them up at some sorry-assed New Year's party that you only went to so you could get off with her loose cousin (who ended up shagging yer best mate at the time anyway). I mean -- we need a social site that doesn't make you feel seedily guilty as you peruse the picture galleries of your ex-girlfriends' brother's colleague, just 'cos she looks like a bit of a goer. Or at least Facebook would be vastly improved if all the friggin' widgets that you can grab weren't all aimed at 12-year-olds. Where's the "Discuss the current political instability in the West Bank" application? And where's the "Guess that Bartok codetta?" game? Why must I find out which celeb shares my body mass index, or need to know which DUI-ing Hollywood starlet had the same breakfast as me? I don't give a flying turd what Lily Allen thinks about botox.

By the way, I'm only ranting thus so some of you will invite me on there, just so I can one day out-friend everyone else I know. [Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2007 19:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Now, I like the theory of Facebook -- you know, a social corner where you can get in touch with people whose names you never thought you'd hear again, the potential for amassing a ridiculous number of "friends" that you only try to include to kid yourself that you actually have friends, or are instantly capable of doing so, should you ever feel the need, and all that -- but, the reality turns out to be something different. What it really is, is a place where people can send you shit. Lots of shit. Mountains of shit. It's where you can re-connect with someone from 20 years ago, only to remind yourself why it is you hate them. It's a portal for shit. Stupid fscking chain letters. Stupid fscking applications that you wait half an hour to install, and turn out to be as completely childish and stupid as you suspected they were all along, and afterwards, when there glistening on your profile, you feel somewhat cheap and pathetic, as if you've just spent a late evening watching poorly-dubbed, paint-by-numbers, German soft-pr0n.

I owe you a pint for that rant. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 11:57      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree - if I want to talk to my friends there is a phone right in front of me, msn ready, and my car is always ready to go somewhere.

Do people expect me to become their best friends through facebook because we met one day?

I would rather have a place where I can have meaningful conversations with people who I don't dislike yet.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 12:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
I would rather have a place where I can have meaningful conversations with people who I don't dislike yet.

I guess that's why His Great Noodliness (the Flying Spaghetti Monster) gave us GeekCulture.

RAmen.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 03:49      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Stupid fscking chain letters. Stupid fscking applications that you wait half an hour to install, and turn out to be as completely childish and stupid as you suspected they were all along, and afterwards, when there glistening on your profile, you feel somewhat cheap and pathetic, as if you've just spent a late evening watching poorly-dubbed, paint-by-numbers, German soft-pr0n.

It was a much classier-looking place before all of the idiotic applications showed up. About every other day a friend from high school invites me to be a pirate or a vampire or a TopFriend or whatever. gaaah leave me alone!

The upside of Facebook is that it's incredibly useful as a directory for phone numbers and email addresses that I can't remember.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 10:21      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed on the applications. I just hope they don't expand to become as bad as myspace has gotten.

This is really the only way I can re-connect with old friends from school....and I Don't care if someone wants to turn me into a vampire.

Seems to be getting Facebook more recognition, though...so good for them. I guess [Smile] .

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2007 12:37      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, most of the new apps are pretty stupid. Movie buff that I am, I have gotten to enjoy the Flixter one, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture