homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » On how we perceive importance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On how we perceive importance
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2007 16:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you will permit me, I would like to ramble on a little about an odd thought that occurred to me recently, a little ray of sunshine that was completely unexpected.

To set the scene....my main Mac is an ageing 15” flat-screen iMac, only 800 MHz but boosted to 768 Mb of RAM. It had been running OS X 10.3 (very kindly donated by a nice man) which had solved the problem that little, if any, freeware/shareware was being written for OS X Jaguar at that time. However, 10.5 was on the horizon and I wondered whether that should be my next OS.

I decided against buying 10.5 long before it became available, as the G4 iMac is the household’s highest spec Mac and would probably be hindered rather than enhanced by all that Leopard loveliness.

So I bought 10.4 for the iMac....and now I can cope with shareware/freeware only being written for 10.4 onwards etc etc and I don’t feel quite as “stuck in the dark Ages" as I did! I am very happy with 10.4 on the whole, although my HP PSC950 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier has become very very flaky, even with the latest (and last) drivers.

What upset me most is that after moving from 10.3.9 to 10.4, the application Transparent Dock just stopped working. It won’t even launch.

“Never mind” I said, I will live without it...an invisible Dock is just not important, in the greater scheme of things. Then, after a while, I remembered Unsanity’s free haxie, Clear Dock. This works perfectly...”Let joy be unconfined” I thought. And then I thought again... I had decided that I was quite prepared to live without an invisible Dock when I thought I might have to.... but when I had regained an invisible Dock I was suddenly struck by the thought that it was a big deal to me after all.

And so to the point of this discourse - was this just an isolated incident of my mind adjusting itself to what it thought it could not change..... or do we regularly, and of necessity, modify our expectations without noticing we are doing it?

If you have read this far, thank you. If you feel able to venture an opinion, then thank you even more.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2007 17:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash __________________ Prepare for and expect the worst, hope for the best. This has been my MO for years. How often have I had to change expectations almost daily.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2007 17:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MO Man - I suspect that I was born a cynic. However, I feel that, as I get older, the cynical viewpoint sits more comfortably with me.

So, I understand your comment and I espouse your point of view. However, how do I integrate those few thoughts into our heads?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2007 03:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash ________________________ Some people can and do go through life with out a worry or care. I have found that it is better for me to be prepared for one or more upsets to my plans, and to adjust as they happen. I am not saying that there are no joys or fun times, but to expect that plans have to be adjusted.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2007 08:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash,

I tend to hold that the ability to ignore things we want as more of a survival skill than anything.

All people have wants and needs. And many of those things are nigh impossible to have. That car, the job, a certain meal, a home in that neighborhood, that special someone, etc. If the mind was not able to take those items and rationalize them away, misery would be a guarantee. As it goes many people are riddled with guilt and regret. Imagine if the human mind was unable to ignore any of those unrequited wants.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture