homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Yahoo! are crooks!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yahoo! are crooks!!
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 02, 2007 11:03      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got off the phone with Yahoo! Small Business, and WOW, are they the worst. First off, my company had a domain name through them, but we cancelled the account back in July of this year thinking we weren't going to do anything with it. Sometime before the DN expired (mid-Aug) we tried to re-activate, but couldn't. We decided to wait off a bit and try again in September. Well, again, couldn't get it back. I'll cut to the chase here ... check out Whois and see that the DN is on hold. Wait a little while longer until October, try again. Again, Yahoo!'s not letting me get the DN back, so I call them on the 22nd. I'm told that maybe, possibly, kinda and sorta Melbourne IT can do something. But not to worry, the DN is on hold for us, and we have first dibs on it. Here's the International phone number. And yes, that is all the contact info we've got. The other thing to do, and the best, is to wait the pending period out and just renew at that point. I'm not given any more information concerning the state of the DN, what that state means, or whether or not I really really should give Melbourne IT a call there and have them re-activate the DN. So, essentially, I have half the info I need to make a sound decision. (And, really, the DN isn't anything that special outside of my business' own interests. Trust me, no one wants this domain name.)

So, I go to Melbourne IT's website to see if there's a US # or email or anything. Can't find anything except something about them wanting a couple hundred bucks to renew or something. Based on the lack of info from Yahoo! and the sketchiness of Melbourne IT's website, we decide to wait until the pending/hold status goes away and then renew.

So, yesterday my partner tries to renew (we should be past the 75 day hold window) and gets nothing. She tries this morning, again, nothing. The Whois status is Pending Delete. So, I call Yahoo! and the guy I speak with (Adam) tells me that he needs to have the DN released and then we can regrab it in 72 hours. While I'm on the phone and he goes to have that done, Whois suddenly shows that some company called eNom is now the registrar for the domain. And they want at least $200 to get it back to us. But, the thing is, up until I spoke with Adam the DN was in a Pending Delete state. WTF??

I call bullsh*t on this, and that Yahoo! works with these companies who do nothing but cybersquat.

Now, the thing I'm pissed about is not that I lost the domain (well, yes, I am pissed about that), but that Yahoo! never gave me *all* the info I needed to make my decision. Instead, I was told that on an off chance this company in Australia might be able to help. I'm also pissed because the managers response to me had nothing to do with how they train their people, or what information they give out (which would have addressed my questions). No, his response was that as soon as the account was cancelled, Yahoo! no longer had any responsibility to give me *any* information. Even though in the cancellation confirmation email we received the only contact information was for Yahoo! In fact, this is what the email says concerning getting help post account cancellation:

"Still have questions about your cancellation? Give our dedicated team a call: 866-858-8106."

Uh, yeah, okay. Thanks a lot.

I wouldn't do business with Yahoo! again, period. They're incompetent, and IMO are working with these cybersquatters to extort good money out of people.

So, beware. Don't go through Yahoo! for your DN registration as they are just a reseller and completely incompetent when it comes to customer service.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 12:06      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you cancel the account when you could of let it expire?

Yeah Yahoo does suck - only thing I use them for is "Yahoo Answers" and that is it.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 13:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as they said "let it drop", I knew there'd be trouble. Companies like eNom exist simply to pick up expired domain names before anyone else can (they're then auctioned off to the highest bidder for the domain), so under no circumstances should you ever let them placate you with "let it drop".

I do not think eNom and Yahoo were colluding, however. Once a domain is "pending delete" (~80 days after expiring), it drops and is then up for grabs by anyone.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 14:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was contacted by a domain squatter a while back, they'd found my company name on my CV, registered the domain name, then kindly offered to sell it to me for $$$$$$.

I made a few anatomically impossible suggestions, and didn't pay them a cent.

A year later, when their registration had expired, I registered it for the non-extortion price through the hosting company I use.

If you're not willing to wait the year, please don't pay the extortionists, it only encourages the [email protected]@rd5. Try thinking of some other name they haven't claimed (maybe .net .biz or .us) I know it's getting difficult to find any meaningful name that's not already claimed, but you'll think of something.

btw - as far as I can tell, eNom aren't cybersquatters, they're probably just the registry service the real cybersquatter used.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 14:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I was contacted by a domain squatter a while back, they'd found my company name on my CV, registered the domain name, then kindly offered to sell it to me for $$$$$$.

I made a few anatomically impossible suggestions, and didn't pay them a cent.

A year later, when their registration had expired, I registered it for the non-extortion price through the hosting company I use.

If you're not willing to wait the year, please don't pay the extortionists, it only encourages the [email protected]@rd5. Try thinking of some other name they haven't claimed (maybe .net .biz or .us) I know it's getting difficult to find any meaningful name that's not already claimed, but you'll think of something.

no no no - everyone needs to register .ca names!!!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 15:13      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your supportive responses. Frankly, I thought I'd be eviscerated here for doing something so stupid as to let the domain expire. But, truth is, I have another domain that expired quite a while ago (we're not using that one either, just picked it up as a backup) and has disappeared straight into the ether. So, my experience showed that I needn't worry. Honestly, the domain name is nothing special, but could be important later on.

Anyway, we have some backup domain names we can register if need be. It does seem really coincidental, the type of coincidental that is just too good to be true, that the one DN I let expire (which was originally registered with someone besides Yahoo) is still floating around, and the one registered with Yahoo gets picked up *just* as it gets deleted.

stevenback7 - we cancelled the account because, honestly, we didn't think we were going to be around and were consolidating our online presence.

The Famous Druid - I'm not going to pay the money to get it back. I figure, we have some other domain names that will work quite well for what we currently need. And, in a year or so, we'll get the other one.

We might use the same domain name with a different top level domain. Maybe a .biz or .net. We'll see.

Again, thanks all for the support. I might have to post what's been going on with the home front. That should flesh out this whole thing. Although, it is past Halloween, and I don't know if horror stories are welcome.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 20:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melbourne IT are lazy scum. IIRC, they're the folks that let the Panix debacle occur, and be an utter nightmare for tons of people.

Thankfully for me, I have a domain registered through a company that e-mails me at least 3 months before expiration. I'm probably paying a bit more than I should, but the customer support is worth it. Network Solutions let me expire before they bothered to remind me about it. I had some very choice words for them about that, and jumped ship the next go-around. (This was back in the days when NetSol was one of the only choices! Also, this was before the age of monstrous cybersquatting, so I was at minimal risk.)

I'm sorry to hear about the grief Yahoo! is putting you through - they don't seem to be good for much. (Esp. not human rights!) I'm a bit surprised to see someone actually latched onto the domain, though - the current trend is the very disgusting practice of domain tasting. The latter is an absolute plague on the Internet, and needs to stop.

If you feel adequately ticked off about this...write a letter to their corp. management, and copy the Consumerist. By the power of the Intarweb, maybe Jerry Yang will bless your domain? [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2007 00:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Melbourne IT are lazy scum.

We aussies prefer the term 'relaxed' [Wink]

quote:
the current trend is the very disgusting practice of domain tasting
I hadn't thought of that.
Tweety - did you check back 5 days later?
If it was a domain taster, you might find the domain's free again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2007 08:08      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone,
Been meaning to get back to this thread the last couple of days, but have been busy in a good way.

The DN was taken on Nov. 2nd, so we're going to wait until the 7th or 8th to see if it comes back. In the meantime, we're working on keeping the name but spelling it a bit different. The possible added benefit of changing the spelling would be easier pronunciation.

The funny thing is, I never heard of domain tasting, but my immediate thought when this happened was that whoever grabbed the DN was doing just that. Grabbing the DN for a few days to see if there was any interest. So, at this point, we're laying low and will see what comes of it.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 19:52      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you dont mind me asking, what was/is the domain name?

--------------------
no my password is not username

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture