homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » ipods and lightning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ipods and lightning
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 19:48      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here is the deal if you haven't heard it yet - this guy got hit by lightning while listening to an ipod. Well taking the percentage of ppl who own an ipod and who get struck by lightning it is bound to happen.

Well the scientist all say that listening to an ipod dosn't increase your chance of getting hit by lightning at all. But the funny thing is they are still advising ppl not to listen to there ipods while outside in the thunder. Why? if it dosn't increase your chances of being hit why don't you just tell people to avoid being outside during a thunder storm?

Also why are you targeting the ipod? There are dozens of other mp3 players out there with the same situation but you don't tell people not to use those mp3 players in the thunder?

This news is pointless and bias against music players.

one of the many reports

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 20:14      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the insurance institute, lightening strikes are the most preventable forms of death.

Funny, isn't it? Wear an iPod and that's news and they are evil. Stay late during a thunderstorm at Pebble Beach National Republican Golf course, and well that is a true tragedy.

Must be that liberal bias we keep getting from Fox News.

I get so sick and tired of politicians shoving motorcycle helmet laws up my backside, when there are no fines for golfing in a thunderstorm.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 21:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right with you brothers. I may vote liberal commie pinko, but I am strongly against the nanny state. People should be responsible - in a very clear cut way - for their own actions. If I want to drive without a seatbelt and happen to get in a crash and thrown from my car, then my insurance company should be able to refuse to pay my medical bills. And I don't want warning on my toaster saying that I shouldn't use it in the bathtub, because if I'm damm fool enough to use an appliance in the tub, then I'm doing the gene pool a favor by Darwining myself.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 22:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really, really hope that, whatever course of study you take, you learn how to 1) comprehend what you read and 2) spell people.

They aren't saying using an iPod or any other device will make you more vulnerable to lightening strikes. They're simply saying that if you're using such a device when you get struck by lightening, you'll get even more hurt than you would be if you weren't using the device.

I almost never use my iPod when playing outside. If I do I only use one earbud at a time. I like to know what's happening around me. Makes me feel all safe and stuff.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 23:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
...there are no fines for golfing in a thunderstorm.

CP: Golf is a scottish game. If they stopped play for bad weather, they'd still be trying to finish the first 18 holes.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 15, 2007 01:59      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bluetooth headphones should sort that out then. NO current path to anywhere.

Q: Why is being in water so bad. If you were swimming, I'd have thought that the current is very unlikely to go through you in a meaningful way due to the poor conductivity of the body compared to seawater. Also, no circuit. I am prepared to believe that standing in water might not be so clever, although I'd still like to see why on a nice picture.

The worst thing? Being on a motorcycle. Ride magazine did a test about this and the conclusions were pretty nasty. Apparently it hits your head, burns through the helmet and passes down your body, exiting through your groin into the petrol tank. Well, it did in their tests in a lightning chamber. *OUCH*

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 05:44      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine____ It all depends on how you interpret the article. But something like the below quote from the article really makes you question the legitemacy of the whole thing. You think the earbuds could have broken his jaw but he could of just fell on it as well? What else is questionable?

quote:
" ...and possibly even cause enough muscle contraction that either caused the jaw fracture or perhaps he fell forward onto his jaw," she said.

But all in all taking the percentage of people who listen to there mp3 players while in a storm and the number of lightning strikes the whole thing isn't very likely to occur to you. So why does it even make the news?

Yeah sorry Xanthine it was almost midnight when I wrote this topic so I accidently trew in an acronym.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 08:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 wrote:
But all in all taking the percentage of people who listen to there mp3 players while in a storm and the number of lightning strikes the whole thing isn't very likely to occur to you. So why does it even make the news?

Read this. It explains quite nicely why people worry about unlikely things such as this.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 09:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People do tend to worry about some silly things.

I am much more sensible than that. I worry about real risks.

Such as the likelihood of losing an eye from flying sporks in lunchrooms and being attacked by wild boars when I am taking the kids to a park. You know, real dangerous stuff. Geez, and people just have no idea how dangerous scotch tape really is. Just imagine, wrapping Christmas presents and one wrong move you could lose your finger from that serrated plastic cutting edge.

I think we need a public service announcement.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 10:29      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I almost never use my iPod when playing outside. If I do I only use one earbud at a time. I like to know what's happening around me. Makes me feel all safe and stuff.

I hear you on that one. Well for different reasons, I have this weird idea that people I pass might have a word or two for me so I remove an earbud so I can properly hear the person if they do attempt to address me. Very rarely does it happen and I just look odd removing and replanting my headphone going by anyone.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 10:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rely on my senses too much to accept compromises. I can't see behind me when I'm on my bicycle, but I can hear (and, if it's a big enough vehicle, feel) 360 degrees. Out in the backcountry, I need to be able to communicate wiht my buddies and just be aware of what's going on. Some of this is just mental because I never ever turn my iPod up so high I couldn't have a nice conversation in a normal tone of voice, but hey, it makes me feel safer so I do it. I actually get kind of skittish when driving because I feel so cut-off, especially at night, when I don't see as well and can't compensate with my other senses because I'm encased in metal. :/

My personal favorites are the undergrads who are yapping on their cell phones or have their iPods turned up so loud I have to scream and holler and almost mow them down before they realize there's a cyclist trying to come through. And then they look at me like it's somehow MY fault they couldn't hear me. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 11:07      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Xanthine____ It all depends on how you interpret the article. But something like the below quote from the article really makes you question the legitemacy of the whole thing. You think the earbuds could have broken his jaw but he could of just fell on it as well? What else is questionable?

quote:
" ...and possibly even cause enough muscle contraction that either caused the jaw fracture or perhaps he fell forward onto his jaw," she said.

*SIGH* No, the earbuds didn't physically break his jaw, moron. But your body is literally run on trillions of tiny electrical signals. I would think that the routing of a HUGE electrical signal right past your jaw, via earbud wires, would cause extreme effects that might not occur had the guy not been wearing them.

I mean C'MON! "...burn marks along the path of the device's white earbuds, singeing his chest and rupturing his eardrums..."
You think that would have happened if he wasn't wearing an iPod, or any other media player? The reasons iPods are singled out is because 1) its what the guy was wearing. 2) its what most people have and have heard of.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 12:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:

Q: Why is being in water so bad. If you were swimming, I'd have thought that the current is very unlikely to go through you in a meaningful way due to the poor conductivity of the body compared to seawater. Also, no circuit. I am prepared to believe that standing in water might not be so clever, although I'd still like to see why on a nice picture.

A: Seawater may provide a faraday cage effect, but I'm willing to bet that most fresh water provides a poor conductor compared to the human body. It's those gosh darn dissolved ions. I think a good rule of thumb to go by would be: if the water you're swimming in can dehydrate you, the current will go around you, but if not, you become a lightning rod. I'm not really willing to find out, but I bet that's how it would work.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 13:48      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
It's those gosh darn dissolved ions.

How right you are. Water is actually a pretty lousy conductor. The purest of pure water doesn't conduct electricity at all.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 10 posted July 16, 2007 14:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<insert lame joke about BA talking about purity>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 16:17      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

quote:

*SIGH* No, the earbuds didn't physically break his jaw, moron. But your body is literally run on trillions of tiny electrical signals. I would think that the routing of a HUGE electrical signal right past your jaw, via earbud wires, would cause extreme effects that might not occur had the guy not been wearing them.

I mean C'MON! "...burn marks along the path of the device's white earbuds, singeing his chest and rupturing his eardrums..."
You think that would have happened if he wasn't wearing an iPod, or any other media player? The reasons iPods are singled out is because 1) its what the guy was wearing. 2) its what most people have and have heard of.

Thanks for the moron comment - If you read the article then it said either the ipod fractured his jaw or he just fell on his jaw. I was pointing out how this clearly was not a conclusive answer and any real doctor which told this story would have either said "the ipod fractured his jaw" or "He fell on his jaw and fractured it" or said nothing at all.

And secondly I was just pointing out the bias in the story. If it was a proper article they would of said that scientist recomend you don't wear mp3 players in a thunder storm and when they told the story they should of said that the guy was wearing a ipod the most popular kind of music player in todays market but shouldn't of singled him out.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 17:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 wrote:
If it was a proper article they would of said that scientist recomend you don't wear mp3 players in a thunder storm and when they told the story they should of said that the guy was wearing a ipod the most popular kind of music player in todays market but shouldn't of singled him out.

If it was a proper article, they would have said that scientists recommend that you shouldn't wear mp3 players during a thunder storm. When they told the story, they should have said that the guy was wearing an iPod which is the most popular kind of music player in today's market but shouldn't have singled it out.

Your illiterate abuse of the English language makes the baby Jesus cry.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 17:59      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Steen - but I don't care about baby jesus.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 19:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look... it was a nice, humorous way of saying you're illiterate.

That said... you're not worthy of the baby jesus, so we'll stick you with the potted meat product and the pork brains in milk gravy. Enjoy!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 22:48      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

Who knew literacy and sausage went hand-in-hand! And nothing says France like eatin' baby Jésus with brioche and a good cheese! At least the French have the sense not to go where the British are eager to tread, culinary-wise.

Yes, the French may indeed eat snails and frogs, but they'll eat them in a sauce much more palatable than "milk gravy". And who decided pork brains went with milk gravy anyway? Guh, thinking about it, that singular dish is the cosmic middle finger to the Kosher way of life. It's like every Kosher law broken in one disgusting tin of . . . offal.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 23:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the moron comment - If you read the article then it said either the ipod fractured his jaw or he just fell on his jaw. I was pointing out how this clearly was not a conclusive answer and any real doctor which told this story would have either said "the ipod fractured his jaw" or "He fell on his jaw and fractured it" or said nothing at all.

And secondly I was just pointing out the bias in the story. If it was a proper article they would of said that scientist recomend you don't wear mp3 players in a thunder storm and when they told the story they should of said that the guy was wearing a ipod the most popular kind of music player in todays market but shouldn't of singled him out.

The first scientist quoted said things "like" a "mobile phone or an iPod" and specified that wearing "anything with earphones" could increase the severity of injuries caused by a lightning strike. Have you still not read the article? It documents a perfectly reasonable update to recommended safety procedures in a lightning storm in light of recent incidents and what has become common behavior.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 08:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that stevenback_7 is some sort of iPod zealot, and when anything looks like it could possibly be displaying his favored toy in a less than favorable light, his panties tie themselves into rewoven figure-eight knots and he lets us all know about it. Chill man, no one is about to ban iPods, pass laws concerning iPods, or do much else with regards to iPods. They published some tips, but the funny thing about tips is you can ignore them without any trouble from the law. Now go play.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 11:22      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys are maybe being a bit harsh.

Anyway, as for singling out the iPod, I sometimes get annoyed by that sort of thing. But it's easy to forget that lots of less techy people just use the term iPod to cover all portable digital audio players. That said, it's just as inaccurate to refer to that group of products as "mp3 players", but I'm very guilty of that.

Over here, a lot of the news we get comes through the BBC, and they *are* biased against all Apple products. I think.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture