homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I hate Bono

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hate Bono
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 12:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hate him. Did you see him at the G8? He had the gall to knock our PM 'cos he wouldn't agree to meet him. It's not so much that Bono thinks he has the right to influence democratically-elected World leaders, but that he thinks he speaks for the conscience of everyone under 40. What a prat. (And his music's shit!)

Bono does not speak for me. I wish I could take those annoying wrap-around shades of his and shove them up his pompous poo-hole. I truly despise the certainty that the policies of the world's biggest economies have been swayed by this self-appointed tit.

It makes me so maaaad... [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6523 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 12:15      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I admire Bono's activism for what it is? I agree Bono needs to speak for Bono and not assume most/all/some/any people think like he does.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 14:13      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 01:51      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Bono doesn't actually intend to "speak for the masses" - he simply feels so passionately about the causes that concern him (world poverty, Aids epidemic to name but two) that he is happy to be able to use his "celebrity" to gain access to people who might conceivably make a difference in those issues.

Now, how is that wrong? Or laughable / contemptible? It's not, is it? If he was campaigning for more free stuff for rock stars then perhaps you could complain (remember he didn't make himself famous - he's just using it) but he isn't doing that. Now if your PM didn't want to meet him then fair enough - it's not mandatory. I would like to know what he was doing that was so much more worthwhile and important though - if it was another 20-course state dinner that he didn't want to cancel then I might be a bit cross about that.

If Bono's actions can improve the lot of some of the world's poorest and most disadvantaged people, can help to prevent the elimination of an entire generation of people in more than one country in Africa, can prevent more children being sold as sex slaves to rich western businessmen, then good luck to him - we should all care so much.

Unless you meant Sonny Bono - you can stock him and egg him till the cows come home for all I care.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 03:05      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bono is pretentious and annoying, but I think the most upsetting thing is that he gets special treatment at these political bunfights, effectively becoming an ambassador for his beliefs, but without being elected.

If I was a politician (perish the thought), I'd make sure that he was out on the streets with the other G8 protestors, and maybe have a word with whoever operated the water cannon to make sure he was made damp.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 04:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
(snip)he simply feels so passionately about the causes that concern him (world poverty, Aids epidemic to name but two) that he is happy to be able to use his "celebrity" to gain access to people who might conceivably make a difference in those issues.

Now, how is that wrong? Or laughable / contemptible?

Well it's not, but however much I might agree with most of what he says, like others here I just dislike him. I suppose it's a combination of his prattish appearance, massive ego, sanctimonious attitude, all wrapped up in the strutting, preening insolence of wealth. In theory Geldof ought to be just as annoying, but he isn't. Perhaps it's because his private life has been a bit of a car crash, or that he was never that big a star to start with, but he has more personal humility, and human vulnerability.

Anyway just because we want to shoot this particular messenger, does not mean we can't hear what he says.

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 07:27      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, IMHO, Bono does a great job using his music and fame to push his platform.

Ironically, his music is pop, but his politics are more punk (famine, disease, war, etc). Any time someone can get a chance to influence a world leader to actually do something helpful is good. If they're only doing because the person asking is a celebrity, that's fine too.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 07:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I suppose it's a combination of his prattish appearance, massive ego, sanctimonious attitude, all wrapped up in the strutting, preening insolence of wealth.

Calli summed it up nicely for me.

It is not the message. But the way he likes to send it out.

Very much the same reason I absolutely despise Michael Moore, and refuse to ever give that man one red cent of mine by viewing anything he "creates."

In my eyes, these two men are more interested in being larger than the actual message. Which I loathe just on principle.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.