homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I don't like your boyfriend (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I don't like your boyfriend
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 17:13      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avril Lavigne's latest song. Ugh!! I hate that song. I hate it for so many reasons. Actually, I like the tune, but the lyrics, I hate the whole sentiment behind them. I was really surprised that she put out this song and I haven't heard any negative comments on it (though it's quite possible I just haven't seen them).

To me, it's completely the wrong message to be sending. Even the video is insulting. It bothers me that young girls will hear it and think it's okay. It just sucks!!!

And if by some stroke of luck you haven't heard it, basically it's about a girl that sets her sights on a boy and decides to get rid of his girlfriend, telling him, "I don't like your girlfriend," and even saying things like, "She's so .. whatever, you can do so much better," and "She's so stupid, what were you thinking?" [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 18:49      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been impressed with the snippets I've heard from Avril's latest disc. She seems to be headed in the wrong direction for my tastes. I liked every song on her debut album (particularly some of the ones not played on the radio), but only a handful from the second album. I guess she can only go back up from here, eh?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 20:29      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really thought Avril's first disk was an immature work of an artist who had some potential... aside from the "I'm not into parties, and I always wear underwear" quote, I've written her off as just another hack.

Sad. I hope she goes the Madonna route and rises from the ashes to become a better musician.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 20:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore mass media, and you won't have to suffer all these problems.

I didn't even know she was still around until the other day, when I finished watching a DVD with my girlfriend, and Avril was singing on some show. It took me a little to recognize her, as she's seemingly very /blonde/ now. That's kind of scary and/or pitiful, given her past image...

Even then, I didn't know anything about this song, as I didn't pay any attention to it, and turned off the TV. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 21:05      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I liked several of the songs off her first album and thought they showed a strong talent and a fair amount of depth for someone so young. But then I found out she had a writing partner. [Roll Eyes] A much older, more experienced, writing partner, lol.

But anyway, back to this song. Being men you both may see it differently than I do, but I see it as more than a supposedly cutesy attempt to get the guy she wants, and more as a rather vicious attack of said boy's current girlfriend. Haven't we had enough of women being bitchy to one another to last for .. oh, say, the rest of time?

In the video, which I only saw once, his girlfriend is this cute little, somewhat geeky, somewhat demur red head with glasses. (I actually think she played that part, as well.) To me, she was adorable. Then on to the scene bursts the bleach blonde sterotypical cheerleader-bitch type.

[Roll Eyes] Yawn.

Granted, Avril is still young and maybe she doesn't realize this part has been played a thousand times before, but someone around her should have told her. And also told her that it's not very pc to put down other women, especially stereotypes like that and call them stupid, etc. I'm the last person to worry about pc stuff, but even I was bothered by it. I really can't believe she did something so dumb. Yet, it's getting plenty of air time, so maybe other people like it. I just wish somebody, a vj, dj, whomever, would point out some of the things I'm saying and make those who haven't even thought about it, including (probably) Avril herself, pause and think. But that's probably too optimistic of me. [Big Grin]

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 21:11      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Ignore mass media, and you won't have to suffer all these problems.

Well, I would disagree with that sentiment because regardless of what you and I may individually choose to "turn off," we can't turn off the influences of pop culture. You know, I have never bought a madonna cd. I can only name one song of hers (a very old one.) It hasn't exactly hurt her career. [Big Grin] Never seen Survivor or Fear Factor or the Sopranos. But somehow I know that the Sopranos show is about to end, Elizabeth Hassleback was on the second season of Survivor and people ate bugs on Fear Factor.

Even when you don't care about certain aspects of Pop Culture, it finds you and beats you over your head with itself. Lindsay and Paris, anyone? [Roll Eyes]

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 21:33      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened to hear the song just a little while ago on the way back from the gym. It wasn't long before I couldn't help laughing at it. The immaturity of the whole thing was so over-the-top it sounded like a parody. Dr. Demento ought to be playing it (I haven't listened to that show in so long I had to check if he's still on the air).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 01:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the song ironic? Are we supposed to admire the character she is portraying?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 01:29      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Is the song ironic? Are we supposed to admire the character she is portraying?

I was just wondering that, especially based on Sxeptomaniac's equating it with parody. Could be commentary on exactly the things that boo interprets it as representing, which would fit a little better with Avril's image, I think. I haven't heard it or seen a video for it. I'm not going to buy a bad CD to hear a bad song.

Here's the lyrics, anyway:
[Chorus]
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I don’t like your girlfriend!
No way! No way!
I think you need a new one
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I could be your girlfriend

Hey! Hey! You! You!
I know that you like me
No way! No way!
No it’s not a secret
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I want to be your girlfriend

[Verse 1]
You’re so fine
I want you mine
You’re so delicious
I think about ya all the time
You’re so addictive
Don’t you know what I could do to make you feel alright?
Don’t pretend I think you know I’m damn precious
And Hell Yeah
I’m the motherfucking princess
I can tell you like me too and you know I’m right

[Bridge]
She’s like so whatever
You could do so much better
I think we should get together now
And that’s what everyone’s talking about!

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
I can see the way, I see the way you look at me
And even when you look away I know you think of me
I know you talk about me all the time again and again
So come over here, tell me what I want to hear
Better yet make your girlfriend disappear
I don’t want to hear you say her name ever again
(And again and again and again!)

[Bridge]

[Chorus]
In a second you’ll be wrapped around my finger
Cause I can, cause I can do it better
There’s no other
So when's it gonna sink in?
She’s so stupid
What the hell were you thinking?!

It seems kind of repetitive to me, but reads more like commentary on the girls that behave that way than an endorsement of boyfriend stealing.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 06, 2007 04:41      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the song has been on the top 10 for 14 weeks, I doubt there's something evil on it!
I feel like it's more a parody on the archetype of the jealous teenage girl.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 06:32      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avril is... well, Avril. Love her, hate her - I typically hate her.

But with this song, she's giving the real Mfking princesses (of which I am one) a bad name.

Go play with your husband, Avril! And leave the princesses alone!

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 07:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, exactly, is an Mfking princess? [Confused]

--------------------

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 07:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

Anything to do with the Royal family of Mafeking?

(crap joke:
--- knock knock
who's there?
Mafeking
Mafeking who?
Mafeking car won't start, can I use yer phone? )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 08:28      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

I edited her lyrics in case someone would be offended.

M*th*rf*c*ing princess, right out of her lyrics [Razz]

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 08:46      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard her perform it on Saturday Night Live and knew I had heard the song before, Lush sings a song called "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" on the 1996 album "Topolino" the credits on the song are "Dunbar/Gargwer" and I believe the entire album is cover tunes. The lyrics are are a little different on the Avril version but the tune is the same. I wonder who is credited on her album.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 11:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bibo, I was interested to hear that, so I wanted to listen to the song. Unfortunately, Napster only has three songs off that cd. I'll have to see if I can find it, elsewhere. Thanks for mentioning that.

Edit: Oh wait, no. That's a different group. That was Diringer. They don't have anything by Lush called Topolino. (How is it possible that two groups would pick that name for a cd? [Confused] ) Anyway, if you have a link, please post it. I'm going to keep trying to find it though.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 14:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSG:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

I edited her lyrics in case someone would be offended.

M*th*rf*c*ing princess, right out of her lyrics [Razz]

Ah. I see. I thought maybe it was some sort of gangsta thing.

--------------------

LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 14:19      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avril is a mean, snippy, crude, lame, immature girl who, despite being married and being in her 20's, still acts like the Queen Bee of the high-school.

Okay...got that off my chest. [Big Grin]

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 14:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
Avril is a mean, snippy, crude, lame, immature girl who, despite being married and being in her 20's, still acts like the Queen Bee of the high-school.

Okay...got that off my chest. [Big Grin]

"Avril Ramona Lavigne-Whibley (born September 27, 1984) is a Grammy nominated Canadian pop singer and musician. She has sold over twenty-six million albums worldwide. In 2006, Canadian Business Magazine ranked her the seventh most powerful Canadian in Hollywood."

And she's not in jail, rehab, or flashing her nude genitals at the paparazzi. Avril's o.k. by me.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 15:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... not to drift or anything, but why is the topic titled "I don't like your boyfriend" when the song is titled "I don't like your girlfriend?"

Not that a lesbian oriented remake of the song wouldn't be interesting, mind you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 16:29      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Juan, in future, please bring all such concerns and corrections directly to me. (use the service entrance, will you?) And bring martini's. [Roll Eyes]

It's because I messed up. Haha. And I didn't even notice. And apparently nobody else did, either. What a bunch of geeks we are. [Embarrassed]

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 17:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 18:46      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The service entrance, is it?

My, how this is progressing [Wink]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 19:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
And she's not in jail, rehab, or flashing her nude genitals at the paparazzi. Avril's o.k. by me.

You can't have everything.

Besides, as the song says, two outta three ain't bad. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 21:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did notice, and wonder why, but really CBA to point it out. [Razz]

/me wasn't in the mood to get flamed, or anything. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture