homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Student going to jail for essay... what the? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Student going to jail for essay... what the?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 02:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I find it ironic that people respond to an article about people freaking out and overreacting by doing the same. The actions of a prosecutor in Illinois are not necessarily those of the entire US. It's certainly not the first time someone has been slapped with ridiculously trumped-up charges.

If they actually manage to convict him on any of that absurdity, I'll start to worry.

The problem is that he is charged with disorderly conduct. This is very broad and since offending others can be considered tumultulous, his conduct probably falls under the umbrella of this law. I don't know Illinois' definition of disorderly conduct but here is Indiana's.
quote:
A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

I say he could be convicted considering the histeria of the current state of America.

p.s.

Sorry to all the femminists out there for using the word hysteria.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 06:47      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
...the only way to keep my dark and/or private thoughts forever secret is to let them rot in my head.

People at work sometimes make me very, very angry. When that happens, I write a scathing e-mail. Sometimes, I get my co-worker (who understands these things) to proofread the message if I think I've done a particularly good job of skewering, because she will find them amusing.

Then I close the message without saving or sending it.

Getting it onto a screen usually gets it out of my head, and it doesn't matter that it won't ever get read.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 09:15      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I find it ironic that people respond to an article about people freaking out and overreacting by doing the same. The actions of a prosecutor in Illinois are not necessarily those of the entire US. It's certainly not the first time someone has been slapped with ridiculously trumped-up charges.

If they actually manage to convict him on any of that absurdity, I'll start to worry.

The problem is that he is charged with disorderly conduct. This is very broad and since offending others can be considered tumultulous, his conduct probably falls under the umbrella of this law. I don't know Illinois' definition of disorderly conduct but here is Indiana's.
quote:
A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

I say he could be convicted considering the histeria of the current state of America.

Doubt it. Disorderly conduct is public behavior, and his essay was intended as private, from what the article says. Assuming they don't drop the charges altogether (which is quite likely), all he needs is a halfway decent lawyer in order to be found innocent. Even the average public defender could probably get the case completely thrown out.

Yeah, it sucks what this kid could end up going through in order to fight the charges, but I don't think for a minute that the act of charging him with that crap is anything more than a hiccup in the US criminal justice system. The hysteria has faded pretty rapidly along with the news coverage, so it's not likely to be much of a factor, particularly by the time the case goes to court (if it does at all).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 09:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*points and laughs*
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 03, 2007 08:05      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He should have plagiarised something off Wikipedia like 95% of his classmates.

Ummm, unless he did! <fx: GULP! endfx>

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2007 16:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
He should have plagiarised something off Wikipedia like 95% of his classmates.

Ummm, unless he did! <fx: GULP! endfx>

Or purchased it.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2007 16:42      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the teacher was doing some kind of psychological test on them by saying that they could uncensor themselves and weed out the nut cases? I think the administration of schools try to make examples of the students sometimes by doing extreme things to those that break the rules, like the time they suspended a boy for taking a steak knife to lunch to cut his apple, as knives are considered weapons = zero tolerance.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture