homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Student going to jail for essay... what the? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Student going to jail for essay... what the?
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 20:04      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/27/student.essay.arrest.ap/index.html

I understand the essay was graphic, but being criminally charged? I don't know if I agree with that. I agree the essay never should have been written. That was the kid's mistake, but to serve jail time over an essay? I don't think that's the message we want to send to kids.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted April 27, 2007 20:16      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it enough to send him to the school counsellor, Americans have become too paranoid and in their fear, they're are doing the wrong thing.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 21:36      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's better is that the assignment was about writing what came to the person's head. Arresting a kid for doing something that no one but the teacher saw isn't worth arrest. Maybe some couch time at the front office with the therapist, but not arrest.

Fucking pansies, pissing their pants at the idea people like sex and blood and gore. Yes, it was violent, but they've half-got boys in lacy pink panties these days! Of course he rebelled in his head, because he can't express it! I mean, with GRRRRRL Power! and "Boys are Dumb, throw Rocks at them!" being accepted but the opposite being worth jail time?

Ugh. It was disturbing but not worth jail time. May that kid get a good lawyer, because he did what he was told, disturbing or not. And by the way? He's going to some day be a good artist because he GETS controversy. Let's just hope the feel-good namby pamby people don't get in the way of constructive expression of his feelings.

Redirect, people, don't shut it down.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 22:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, ya gotta love "The Land Of The Free" [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 06:02      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AUGH! That's despicable beyond despicableness... "Land of the Free" no more, apparently... What's scary is that I used to have a morbid sense of humor way back in Junior high. I'd write about violence and draw disturbing pictures, but everyone dismissed it as pubescent junk, which it was. I turned out normal. Had I been in school today, I probably would have been put in jail for that crap. AUGH! Makes my intestines tie up in knots... [Mad]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 07:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are too soft. That kid needs a good scare... a good sense of what the consequences of acting on any of that horrific stuff would be. I don't advocate a jail term, just a night in prison to put the "fear of God" into him... get him to think twice about pursuing a path of violence.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 08:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree that what he did was improper, his behavior never reflected it. You cannot arrest someone for disorderly conduct/public disturbance (which is what I recall him being arrested for) if it only involved a teacher!

Yes, it's violent and distasteful and terrifying. Yes, he needs to be put into county mental for a week and have a REAL assessment done. But he doesn't need to be put in jail at this point. He committed no crime, and that's the argument I have on this.

He may actually have mental damage. Tossing him in a violent place instead of medicating him is only going to aggravate it. And the "fear of God" thing? Doesn't apply here. This is law and ethics, not morality and religion. If he is suffering from a serious mental disorder that warps his reality, he already is in Hell, and fearing God means nothing only because he already feels God has abandoned him.

It's because of Virginia Tech that this happened, and while he is stupid as Hell for doing this right now, the FIRST STEP is always to make sure it's not something more serious than "ADHD" and doesn't get called or diagnosed ADHD and swept under the rug.

I agree -- don't ignore it or paste over it. I agree -- treat it like a real threat. This, however, was enacted in his head, which is where it needs to be handled.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 08:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religion? Pah! Haven't you ever heard the expression "fear of God" used in a non-religious way before?

This kid has no fear of anything, no consciousness of what's appropriate if he thinks "it would be funny" if violence occurred in his school. Typical school punishment like suspension (in or out of school) isn't effective. Take the kid out of the cocoon of school and put him in a real-world environment like jail for the night. Let him experience what incarceration and the lack of control are like. Hopefully he will wise up and realize that violence is not fun and games.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 09:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a pretty good chance he already knows that.

Lots of people have dark fantasies. Some even write those fantasies into books or make them into movies, and sometimes those books hit the best-seller list or the movies become blockbusters because they speak to other people's fantasies. Actually acting on those fantasies is so rare that it makes headlines because the vast majority of the population is aware of the consequences of their actions and makes the choice not to face them (though it could be argued the Columbine killers and the VTech guy also chose not to face the consequences of their actions).

So sad that we've now introduced thoughtcrime into American society.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 09:36      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that we can blame on Bush [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 09:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, come on. School is the time when you should feel free to play with the limits of what's acceptable to other people. It's certainly not a sign of some mental health problem.

And even if it was, that's hardly relevant. He shouldn't be put in prison until he commits a crime. He shouldn't be forced to take any mental assessments, and he shouldn't have the fear of god put in him.

Part of the price for living in a free society is that you're not allowed to treat people writing things like this as criminals, and perhaps because of this you can't stop events like the recent one at Virginia from happening. But though it's difficult to say and see right now, I think that the benefits of such a society are totally worth the problems it causes.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 14:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bothers me is that the people responsible for this this and this are still free and walking the streets. I mean, really, they could be walking into a school near you, right now. Someone call the cops!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 15:35      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF, Rhonwyyn? He hasn't done anything, and he hasn't shown any will to. I've had dreams about killing people, it happens. They didn't involve necrophilia, but what the hey, different strokes for different folks.

Everybody thinks about things that they would never do in real-life. I've think about people dying all the time- how in some situations it would make my life easier, and in others it would make my life miserable. What if I was the mechanism of destruction? What if it was someone else and I could stop it?

If you want to imprison someone for thinking things that could be destructive if put into practice, you need to arrest poets, screenwriters, christians, muslims, jews, nuclear physicists, bio-chemists, martial-artists, and mimes.

This boy is guilty of nothing more than thought-crime. Orwell is probably turning over in his grave right now.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 15:39      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
What bothers me is that the people responsible for this this and this are still free and walking the streets. I mean, really, they could be walking into a school near you, right now. Someone call the cops!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 15:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlenewsie _________________________ This topic and the Pat Tillman mess by Snaggy make me wonder about ducking bullets back in 67/69. Supposedly 54k of my brothers and a few sisters died to defend the Consitution and stop the spread of Communisum. Shit our own goverment is scaring me more than they did.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 16:48      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
So sad that we've now introduced thoughtcrime into American society.

You nailed it. We are one step nearer "1984", and that's how it happens, step by step.

Something else occurred to me, if what he wrote was so terrible, is it not worse that a newspaper quotes these offensive and disturbing passages? I hope this thought is not against the law too.. [crazy]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 20:17      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well NBC and the other broadcasting companies aired parts of the VT killer's video. Why isn't that a crime or anything like that? Yes, they did apologize after the fact, but then still continued to broadcast the video, only editing it.

Nobody fined the broadcasting companies. Nobody sued them. They got off scott free with only an apology.

Now, this kid comes along and writes a graphic essay and he faces jail time. Excerpts from the article are even provided. I don't get it. If the essay is so disturbing, let's post it all over the Internet! An obvious choice...

Something just isn't right. Makes me wonder why I want to be a journalist...

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 10:10      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue here is definitely more about teacher responsibility than free speech. Teachers have to report any writing or talking about shooting up students in schools. One shooting was apparently prevented in Calgary because a parent saw a hit list that her son had. She would have been sorry if she took it as a joke. There is a zero-tolerance rule about stuff like that, and I'm glad they took it seriously. You can't write about shooting kids in school, just like you can't worship Satan in a Christian church. You'll go to bad places for both...
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 11:21      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mel, while I agree something needs to be done, I don't agree with criminal charges. It was a creative writing piece. If it had been a "what will you be doing in five years" I might be a bit more worried. Yes, the kid should have been referred to counseling but I don't believe in the criminal charges. That's my big problem. Criminal charges for an essay. How is that essay disorderly conduct? And why are there two charges? It was one essay...

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 12:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be missing some of the logic here.

Could someone please explain how a jail sentence for an essay would have any deterrent affect on someone who probably plans to kill himself at the end of the shooting spree? After all, that is the most common way the school shootings are ending.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 15:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: You mean the same way that one-way flights paid for in cash trigger red flags? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 15:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I've been tempted to do that. Close my accounts, slice up my credit card, buy the ticket, disappear and never come back... Not sure where I'd go though. Maybe Alaska, if the winters weren't so dark and cold.

ETA: I think, dman, that Steen's point is that giving someone a taste of the consequences as a deterrent if the person involved has already decided that there will be no consequences for themselves. I also think that there is a very large gap between thinking about a course of action and actually taking it. Writing is a safety valve for a lot of people. Everyone who keeps a journal, raise their hand...*

*I don't keep a journal. I have three younger siblings and, after an unfortunate experience involving a nosy sister and a diary, learned that the only way to keep my dark and/or private thoughts forever secret is to let them rot in my head.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 18:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: I didn't make my point very clear...perhaps I left far too much to read between the lines. If you buy a one way ticket in cash, you get red flags. If you buy a round trip ticket on a credit card, and *ahem* don't get the opportunity to pay the bill or use the return trip, you get on the flight with no difficulty. Security theater at its finest!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 18:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlenewsie:
I agree the essay never should have been written. That was the kid's mistake...

The whole situation is pretty fucked up. The kid did exactly as he was told, after all. Write what is on your mind, uncensored. That in itself is, to me, the Real WTF. No-one should be told to write an uncensored view of their mind, because that's a private domain that we should be entitled to keep to ourselves.

Goodness me, do I ever know what horrors I could unleash if I wrote what was on my mind at the wrong time. Although I think the pain would be marginally greater for the readers than for me. I don't know that anyone would ever think the same of me again if I did.

Having said that, I do worry about a kid who is actually willing to write what he did. That is even more disturbing than the assignment itself.

IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 19:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it ironic that people respond to an article about people freaking out and overreacting by doing the same. The actions of a prosecutor in Illinois are not necessarily those of the entire US. It's certainly not the first time someone has been slapped with ridiculously trumped-up charges.

If they actually manage to convict him on any of that absurdity, I'll start to worry.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture