homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Rant: Geek Culture Edition of "Survivor" HAS TO STOP! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rant: Geek Culture Edition of "Survivor" HAS TO STOP!
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 12:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
blah blah blah wtf cares?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 12:55      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Long-standing members of the community have avoided coming here (and have told me as much (yes, I keep up with people off-board)) because of the atmosphere that often exists. I should also note that I am one such individual.

Seriously people, quit being a bunch of fucking pretentious assholes and lose the superiority complexes. It'll get you far in life. For the more socially challenged among you, maybe you'll even meet some people.

ZOMG!!!111!!! ME TOO!!!!!111!!!!

Or something like that.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2007 09:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
blah blah blah wtf cares?

Word.

You make your bed, you sleep in it......just like in real life.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 05:30      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah.

quote:
but all I found was a need for attention
If that's what you see, doesn't that mean the person behind that might be going through some stuff?

It's a pet peeve when people say, oh it's all for the attention. Yeah? Well, why do they feel they need it? Are they feeling depressed? Unloved?

Darnit, there are real live *people* on the other end of the typed words here.

</ranty rant>

And now for nakedness and beer. [Wink] You know you wants it.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 08:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
It's a pet peeve when people say, oh it's all for the attention. Yeah? Well, why do they feel they need it? Are they feeling depressed? Unloved?

Darnit, there are real live *people* on the other end of the typed words here.

Oh, I know they're real. But that doesn't mean that I should accept misbehaviour just because the one typing the words has personnal issues. They'd better start by solving their problems. Trying to push their problems on people around them solves nothing. Plus, I'm not a therapist, so I feel no need to submit myself to abuses just so someone can feel better for a while. I don't do it face-to-face, I won't do it online.

As any parent will tell you, if you do a child's bidding when s/he's throwing a tantrum, they learn to do it again. You have to tell the kid s/he has to calm down before getting anything. It goes the same for adults - it's just harder to learn as one gets older.

(Talking in general, not a disguised attack at anyone. Also, please take note that this is written in a fully calm tone - I could use the [Geek] emoticon, but that's not really what I mean.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 09:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo isn't going through any long-term problems or starved for attention.

When boo first came here, she was attacked as a spammer and then for necroposting and then for cursing and a variety of other things. She stopped or toned down all of those things once she knew they weren't welcome, not that anyone seems to have noticed her efforts to fit in. Furthermore, the attacks still haven't stopped.

Now ask yourself... if you were consistently flamed by a small group of members of a forum you posted to and had friends on, would you be in a hurry to put up details of your personal life? I think not. Don't expect to see much about boo's personal life posted publicly here until well after the attacks stop.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 11:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I would definitely agree that there were a number of things that we as a community did wrong in this whole mess, it isn't a simple case of long-term members picking on a newbie, either. And yes, I did notice the changes in her behavior.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 11:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, that's how she perceived things. She wasn't attacked. Some of us got annoyed by her posting everywhere without real purpose, and tried to tell her the general etiquette, without calling her names nor anything. Yet, she took it as an attack, and attacked back. Asked for the official rules, then said that she wouldn't follow those she considers silly.

True, I have said that she _acted like_ a troll or forum spammer (which is different from accusing her to be one), because that's how it looked to me. So I asked her to disprove my feeling - with exceeding politeness, mind you. She thought I was bitching her; she attacked me. But I never called her names, even less cussed at her, yet she never deprived herself of doing so.

Yes, I have noticed a little improvement on her part, but still no valuable contributions. She asks, reacts, post smileys, but hardly ever say anything meaningful. How am I supposed to change my mind about her? I'm not asking for her biography; just to know why she came here, why she thought it would be a "fun" place for her in the first place would be better than the stubborn silence whe have now. (Or her starting to post her opinion on matters raised by someone else than herself would help, too.)

I'm sorry, but I cannot befriend a stranger; I need to get acquainted first.

(And if I got flamed by members of a community I was trying to join, I'd asked myself what I did wrong, and either apologize if I found serious matter, or leave otherwise. I don't try to fit in at any price, nor do I try to please everyone I meet.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 11:45      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god, give it a rest. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 17, 2007 12:30      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is troubling how this just keeps going on. Boo has had some great posts and, as Steen has pointed out, the attacks continue. I think it is high time we cool it, take a deep breath and cut her some slack. This may not just be an issue with long time members but it is also not the first time I have seen people receiving such treatment here. [shake head]

For my part, I am sorry I didn't post something earlier. I consider boo my friend and I would like to see some civility here. I think we as geeks should be capable of discussion and even disagreements without attacking each other. Is that too much to ask?

Finally, hats off to Just_Jess_B for starting the thread. It is about time we stop chasing people away.

Edit: Things started out pretty rocky but I disagree with you here: "... but still no valuable contributions. " I think she has had some worth while contributions wether you chose to acknowledge them or not.

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 13:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so let's put things in the clear: do you consider any of my posts in this thread as an attack of boo? Cause none of them were meant to be. They are my feelings toward her, and how I got to feel this way; I'm stating my point, nothing more. If I am to take the blame, let it at least be for the real reasons.

Shadow, you ask for open discussion even when disagreeing. I believe this is what I am doing. People question my behaviour, my attitude, my actions, so I try to explain them. In this case, I can't explain without telling my feelings, and I can't expect people to understand my feelings without telling where they came from. So I can't justify my attitude toward boo without talking about her. Whether boo is really what I think she is isn't really important in such a situation; because the real problem is one of perception.

I'm ready to agree on disagreeing on boo's contribution value. Maybe others can find meaning where I find none - maybe it's even failure on my part. But apart from our flame war on the value of beauty (which was pretty much everyone stating their position over and over - I'll readily admit this wasn't my best shot here, and by far), I can't say I have learned anything from her.

So I'll end up with this mea culpa: I am aware that in written communication, like a forum, it is difficult to convey proper emotions; emoticons are helpfull, but cannot replace non-verbal communication. So if people thought I was really harsher that I thought I was, then I have to apologize for not putting in enough efforts to properly say what I really meant.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 14:18      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one thing that really bugs me about this thread. I see a bunch of people complaining about the tendency for a group of people to treat newbies badly, with boo's case as the example; however, the people I've seen get into it with boo are, for the most part, not the ones I've seen pick on newbies in the past. I had to ask someone privately if I fit in with what they were talking about because I began to worry I was being perceived differently than I had intended. At the same time, each new rant makes me feel a bit more defensive.

I find myself confused... just what are we talking about here? Is there something I'm missing? Does it go back farther than my time here? Do we have different standards of how a newbie should be handled?

So, maybe we can turn this into a positive thing. I've decided to start another thread for discussing exactly what behavior people have a problem with. It might not work, but I don't think this thread is helping at all.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 14:47      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a few things which seemed a bit over the top to me such as the post value remarks. Some of them seemed a bit unpleasant when I read them. This being said, I realize you are expressing your feelings on the matter and I appreciate your candor. It is important to be able to share what is on our minds (and in our hearts) and I don't mean to suggest you should refrain from doing so. I also apologize for being abrasive with my comments, while we may disagree on some things, I don't want to be attacking you either.

I am in total agreement with you that perception is at the heart of this whole thing. It seems I may have misunderstood your intent here also.

My hope is that we all can enjoy the GC as a place where we can express ourselves without being attacked for it and where people are welcome.

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2007 20:33      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. I had high hopes that my little outburst had killed this thread. [Roll Eyes]

Originally posted by someone... She asks, reacts, post smileys, but hardly ever say anything meaningful.

And this is different than 90% of everyone elses posts how?

Sorry, couldn't resist. [evil]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2007 18:47      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanting to make sure that Spidey's post is that last word on the subject I here by invoke godwin's law...

Nuclear war.
Adolf Hittler.
Joseph Vissarionovich Djugashvili.
Consentration Camp.
Kulag.

fin.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 19, 2007 04:35      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's spelled with a "c".

[Razz]

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2007 04:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it is spelled with an "i" and "t". [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2007 11:43      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Boo wrote:
Perhaps you will "forgive" me because you didn't happen to notice it.

I was going to be all live-and-let-live about this issue, Boo, but now you've gone and abused quotation marks. I cannot tolerate punctuation abuse of this sort and will direct all of my possible animosity toward you from now on. Quotation marks are for quoting people or referring to a pop-culturally (or geek-culturally) semi-inappropriate usage. "Forgive" is not such a usage.

That said, I used up all my animosity in the previous paragraph and hope we can get on from here out. Further wrath will be spared unless I see another quotation abuse. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't think my skin is all that thick, but I haven't been particularly offended by anything Boo has posted. Sure, sometimes I feel that she's missed the mark, but we all feel that way about each other from time to time. I am confident that most here have caught me with my overgeneralization-pants down. I am equally confident it'll happen again and I shouldn't have to worry about being ostracized for it.

Sheesh, let's get back to bickering about less personal non-issues and leave the ad-hominem BS out.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2007 19:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, Spidey. [Big Grin]

SS you silly nit, I wasn't using them in the quoting sense, I was using them in the "emphasis" sense as Stereo has mentioned a few times that she might be able to "forgive" me.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 05:52      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's like when people use *asterisks* to emphasise words, is all. [thumbsup]

Steen: [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 07:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes my day when I can make someone groan from a bad joke [Big Grin]

What sort of insects live at the bottom of the ocean?

(see the intrests line of my profile for the answer)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 07:58      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

That's such a cute riddle! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 23:59      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer *asterisks* for emphasis. It looks more fireworky and less guotey, yet it's softer and gentler than an underline and smells as fresh as a summer breeze.

Gotta go sniff some punctuation now. You guys have fun...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 09:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Hey! Steen! How is it that you get away with goofing-off in one the peace-making threads, hmmmmm? [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:

Gotta go sniff some punctuation now. You guys have fun...

You might want to avoid the colons...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 12:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:
Hey! Steen! How is it that you get away with goofing-off in one the peace-making threads, hmmmmm? [Wink]

You're right. Posting what I did continued to keep the topic current and encouraged people to keep the topic active. I shouldn't have done it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture