homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The Very Thought Of You

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Very Thought Of You
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 21:35      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Billy Holiday said it best. Or sung I should say. Not that I'm thinking of anyone guy, I'm happily not interested in anyone at the moment, but I came across an old Billy Holiday song titled, "The Very Thought Of You." I've listened to it three times already in a row.

It's now my favorite song. Well, for this week at lest. [Wink]

What's your current favorite oldie? And who's your favorite old-school singer?

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 22:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Billie Holiday's version of this one - the 'standard' is Nat King Cole's rendition, which is excellent.

I think that, for me, Nat is the answer to both your questions. Have you heard 'Stardust'? it's on my list of all-time faves (Willie Nelson did a good job with that one, too).

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 02:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite like the Tony Bennett/Sir Paul McCartney duet. Same with Ella Fitzgerald.

As for a favourite oldies singer...I don't really have one in particular, but Ella and Louis are probably played the most. I also enjoy the more modern covers as well.

And two of my fav songs are "The Best Is Yet To Come" and "Mack The Knife."

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 08:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ella, Louis, Duke and Frank are all in my current play lists. I like the Ella and Louis duets, like "Let's Call the Whole thing Off". I like Frank's "An Enchanted Evening".

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 09:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything AC/DC.
Old Time Rock 'n Roll.
Hotel California.
Pretty much anything by Steve Miller.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 11:08      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say

Lynnard Skynnard's Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama
Kansas' Carry on my Wayward Son
Anything Pink Floyd
But those are not really oldies, If I had to say my favoritee oldies, mmmh...
Mozart's Marriage of Figaro,
Be Thou my Vision
or anything by King David specially Psalm 3

Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture