homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » 1984 Apple commercial as a movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1984 Apple commercial as a movie
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 01:29      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just doing some late night web-wandering -- reading and reminiscing the history behind Apple's groundbreaking "1984" commercial -- and I can't help but think everytime I watch it: I would love to see the movie that culminates with this as the final, climactic scene. I want to know more about the heroine who risks all to free the minions. I want to see her character develop, and understand what drives her to such dire action. I want to know what leads to the creation of that "garden of pure ideology", and how and why it imprisons the masses. I want to see what happens as a result of her heroic action. And last but not least, I want to know her name.

Apple pioneered "event marketing" with this riveting 60-second commercial. Now I want to see a two-hour big screen blockbuster that provides the backstory. Movies have sprung from books, comics, TV shows, cartoons, video games, and even toys -- why not from a commercial? (I wonder if Ridley Scott had a plot in mind when he directed this -- "Apple 1984: The Director's Cut" [Wink] )

I'm not serious, of course. Just some mental meandering...

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 04:26      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidentally, the "real" movie came up on digg the other day: 1984 [video.google.com]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 07:01      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tech Angel,

The effect of running a compelling TV commercial to create a high impact during the broadcast of the Super Bowl was demonstrated in 1974 by Master Lock, and its Milwaukee Advertising Agency, Cramer-Krasselt. The commercial titled, "Marskman" showed a goggle-eyed marksman shoot a padlock with a high powered rifle. The lock still worked after the shooting.

This commercial only ran once -- during the Super Bowl. Although versions of it were updated throuut the years

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4097253/

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BDW/is_21_40/ai_54749930

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 08:12      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Tech Angel, there's a book that has all of that... Except the girl... Apple and Chait/Day made the girl, she doesn't exist in the book.

Read George Orwell's "1984" if you don't mind getting creeped the fsck out by an eerily plausable dystopian future.

In Orwell's "1984," the people /can't/ turn their viewscreens off.... in the year 1984, they can, but very few choose to...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 11:43      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
You know, Tech Angel, there's a book that has all of that... Except the girl... Apple and Chait/Day made the girl, she doesn't exist in the book. ... Read George Orwell's "1984" ...

I'm quite aware of the book -- I read it in high school -- and have seen at least one movie based on Orwell's book. But aside from the allusion to a 1984-ish society, that commerical would have come from a very different plot and characters (especially in today's blockbuster-happy world) and ellicited a very different response from the audience. For one thing, (main character) Winston Smith met with a very depressing denouement and "the bad guys" win -- certainly nothing to cheer about.

--------------------

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 13:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just my pessimistic streak but in the commercial, all she did was break a TV screen. That would in no way prevent the riot gear clad goons from turning her into a greasy smear in front of the drones. At best, she might become a martyr, but would probably be seen as an example of what would happen if the drones tried to fight the system.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6361 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 18:04      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Maybe it's just my pessimistic streak but in the commercial, all she did was break a TV screen. That would in no way prevent the riot gear clad goons from turning her into a greasy smear in front of the drones. At best, she might become a martyr, but would probably be seen as an example of what would happen if the drones tried to fight the system.

Yeah, but without the backstory, we really don't know. It may not represent "just breaking a screen" (hey, any Wii wielder could do that [Wink] ). That's why I'd love to have those gaps filled in by someone with a creative mind (and a major motion picture studio and a $100M budget) to see how that act of defiance climaxes a 2-hour-long plot...ideally, one with a happy ending.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 18:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At best, she might become a martyr, but would probably be seen as an example of what would happen if the drones tried to fight the system.

But the whole point of 1984 was that Big Brother didn't just want to crush resistance, he wanted to crush the idea of resistance.

A public act of defiance like that could have set Big Brother back a generation, and it might have set off a chain-reaction of rebellion that could bring down the system.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 05:33      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...At best, she might become a martyr, ...

Someone's signature on Slashdot was, "The difference between martyrdom and suicide is the size of the audience.", heh.

I'd like to see some half-hour animated shows chronicling the adventures of Erin Esurance.
[hearts]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.