homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Argh Globat!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Argh Globat!!
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 11 posted February 06, 2007 20:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken over webmastering a particular site that a late friend worked on as part of a team, and ... now I hate Globat.

I wrote a customised image gallery generator in PHP, and it wouldn't execute. Weird. Turned out that every time I ran it, the server reduced the file to zero bytes (!) Left a support ticket for Globat, gave up and went to bed.

Eight hours later, not heard from them (!). Got onto live chat, they decided it was a parsing problem. (Okay, since when does PHP open a read/write handle on a script?) But it started working.

Debugged it, started using it ... gee, that page looks odd. Hey, why are the site's CSS files both zero bytes? Odd.

Later today, I can't upload to the FTP any more because of "no space on device". Another team member, in the states, can. I can't. And even if I do post like a 91 byte "Site is broken" file, the server wipes its contents. The account itself has over 80 GB free space, allegedly. Thing is, I cleared 7 MB of space and tried an upload: no space. So did something eat it?

Working with Globat makes me appreciate my own host (ICDSoft) so much -- at least they don't have PHP error reporting off (not even E_PARSE), all sorts of useful Apache directives banned, and now servers that keep obliterating files.

Worse part is, I had this "no space no device" error just over a week ago with my late friend's own personal site. Globat claimed to have fixed it, but clearly didn't take proactive steps to stop whatever it was, happening on other servers. I am guessing that their server hard drives are all full?

And now one of the main pages of this site is nuked. And the owner of the company that runs the site, is quite annoyed .... :P We're still trying to find a way to restore that file :)

IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 23:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, an update, since it's more desperately stupid than I realised.

What they are doing is a software update. To avoid software corruption, they lock the file system down. Not read-only, as that's too obvious. No, they make it writeable but truncate any files you write and have the FTP server bail out from an alleged lack of space.

I run PHPMyBackupPro on the other site we have with Globat, which updates its config file every invocation. It tried to write it out, succeeded, and then the server destroyed the file. So now the complete back-up config is gone. I checked -- the last backup was 27th Jan, the same day that that particular server was having "452 Transfer aborted. No space left on device" errors.

Smaller files write or upload fine, and then get wiped. Larger uploads may succeed and then get wiped (and any file you were trying to overwrite is now obliterated), or they may break off part-way with the above error.

I have no idea what they think they're doing, but this is beyond ridiculous. Also note that they never once e-mailed any customers to warn them, and the site status page claims that everything is just fine.

If I had a brick wall there'd be a head-shaped hole in it ... Let's hope that after I gave them a very stiff talking to, they don't pull anything this stupid in the future.

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 07, 2007 05:15      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]

Let me say that again, for emphasis:

[Eek!] !

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2007 14:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went to bed at about 10:30 am, it was still down. According to Globat, it should have been fixed by 8 am, but they didn't have a very accurate estimate.

It was still acting weird at about 6 pm. It let me upload about 800 k of files, just fine. The I realised that there was a flaw in the HTML (the link tags to the CSS were bad, leaving the page hard to read) so I re-uploaded the main HTML page. Rejected: "No space left on device".

Still bad at 7 pm, but by about 7:40 pm I got that page up at last, so the site is running. I am scared to upload another page in case I wipe out what's there now. If I must, I'll upload to a new name first and hope that after renaming it to the old name, it doesn't then disappear.

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 08, 2007 08:54      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would tick me off. I would be considering a change of hosts.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 15:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are. Steve decided on Ix before he died -- no idea if they're good or bad, but they seem more clued up :) Remains to be seen what Sam (the owner) chooses to do when his site is up for renewal (not for some time yet), and what Bob will do with Steve's own site, that expires end of the month! I don't have anyone I trust except ICD, but they don't have any big enough plans. Ix seem to be slightly better value than Dreamhost.

I am just glad that the people I went with (at FireSnake's recommendation) turned out to be great :P

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture