homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Why Me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Me?
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 24, 2007 19:40      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to put this here because it is a rant and I just need to do it... I don't care if I get a response right now and I do know it is about my stupid life, but again it is a rant.

<rant> Ok, so I am looking at graduating in may... THANK HEAVENS! I just want to be done with high school and get on with my life. I am looking at college that will put me an 8 hour drive from here and that is nice... what SUX is the ~$30,000 a year that goes with the school and I guess that goes with the OCAAT system they offer. So now I am looking for scholarships and all that while I work.
Don't get me wrong I love what I do... I am parts: DBA, Net admin, CIO/CTO, and part general technician. But, hell, I am only 18.
Now that brings to mind today. My boss decided to have a heart to heart with me and told me that Imports my be entering a partnership and that all the new infrastructure I was designing for the office needs to be held off for a week to see what happens. Now if everything goes through what I designed may (in 2-3years) be the core technology infrastructure for the partnership. But long before that day I will be looking at expanding part of it anyway. My boss told me that sometime this summer, depending on the partnership (which may have him working in Baltimore most of the time), he may fly me up to Baltimore for a week to set up a VPN type connection to the Omaha office so he can have all of the access he needs. this means that in the next 6 months I will probably rebuild the entire office network and set everything up to be all new.
Now that is all well and good but I still have school to think about and hell mabey shocking people to death and actually trying to get a date for once.
</rant>

if anyone has actually read any of this ...I am sorry. I just need to have someone shock me back to thinking clearly and mabey, just mabey, I can get back on track...

"You may now return to your regularly scheduled insanity..." [Confused] [shake head] [weep]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 01:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so I am looking at graduating in may... THANK HEAVENS!
Congrats. Just graduated from College myself.

I just want to be done with high school and get on with my life.
Ending my first degree, and looking for a real job, this has been running through my head (except, again replace highschool with college).

I am looking at college that will put me an 8 hour drive from here and that is nice... what SUX is the ~$30,000 a year that goes with the school and I guess that goes with the OCAAT system they offer. So now I am looking for scholarships and all that while I work.
Also talk to your current employer about tuition re-embursment, look into pell grants and fill out the FAFSA (I think that's the right acronym) stuff.

Don't get me wrong I love what I do... I am parts: DBA, Net admin, CIO/CTO, and part general technician. But, hell, I am only 18.
Great. Real world experience in IT at an early age is a good thing. Doing IT or CS in college?

Now that brings to mind today. My boss decided to have a heart to heart with me and told me that Imports my be entering a partnership and that all the new infrastructure I was designing for the office needs to be held off for a week to see what happens. Now if everything goes through what I designed may (in 2-3years) be the core technology infrastructure for the partnership. But long before that day I will be looking at expanding part of it anyway. My boss told me that sometime this summer, depending on the partnership (which may have him working in Baltimore most of the time), he may fly me up to Baltimore for a week to set up a VPN type connection to the Omaha office so he can have all of the access he needs. this means that in the next 6 months I will probably rebuild the entire office network and set everything up to be all new.
Alright. Well, let us know what happens.

Now that is all well and good but I still have school to think about and hell mabey shocking people to death and actually trying to get a date for once.
Good luck with that. Carpe Geekium.

if anyone has actually read any of this ...I am sorry.
Why are you sorry?

I just need to have someone shock me back to thinking clearly and mabey, just mabey, I can get back on track...
Sounds like your on track. Just remember to breath... Deep breaths help. And things always work out in the end, somehow. Just take it as it comes, and you'll be alright.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 01:45      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey man, embrace the work. I do the same thing as you, with a little programming on the side, and I have a far higher hourly wage than anybody close to my age I know.

THe kicker, however, is that there's not much work, so it all balances out to just barely being able to afford books, gas, and tuition each semester.

The more work you can find, the better; and don't be afraid to let your employer know that you want a fair wage, if he isn't givin gyou one already. It's generally a good idea to work for a couple dollars less than somebody with a degree; that way, you still get a lot o money, but they still get dirt-cheap work.

Just my 2¢.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 25, 2007 17:34      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys... I just needed to vent.

GM:
I am looking at FAFSA, Sons of Italy, Pell grants and I will be trying to work out tuition reimbursemnet... pluss the fact that I will need to get a real Copy of Server 2k/3 so my second system can integrate the network to my dormroom (that way I can still work on the network and be 8+ hors from the office.

I may double major CS and IT and still be able to minor in small business so I will get to have fun. and yes I will remember to update everyone.

I was sorry cause again "this is about my stupid life" and I really shouldn't put anyone through that but hey... THANKS and I will try to remember to breathe.

also I am working at $7.50 an hour cause a.) we are a really small office. b.) I don't have a degree and c.) The benefits are amazing (the office is looking at buying a truck for me) (that and I only go in 2 days a week totaling about 10 hours a week so I have time for school but when I graduate it is going to increase immensely. Oh well, Thanks for listening guys...

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 19:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The real Stealth:

also I am working at $7.50 an hour cause a.) we are a really small office. b.) I don't have a degree and c.) The benefits are amazing (the office is looking at buying a truck for me) (that and I only go in 2 days a week totaling about 10 hours a week so I have time for school but when I graduate it is going to increase immensely. Oh well, Thanks for listening guys...

A degree means nothing. If you've got the experience and you can do the job, someone else will pay you many orders of magnitude more of that.

I realise the benefits might be great, but unless you stand to be handsomely rewarded in the even the company quintuples in size or something like that, make sure you get what you're worth.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 16:36      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will make sure that I get what I am worth... I just have to get the computers to work for them instead of the other way around. This means starting from scratch.

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 08:03      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congratulations on almost finishing highschool (me looks at the piles of school work in front of me). Now I personally would really try and concentrate on school work and make the job come second because even though real live experience is great i doubt you want to be working for anything near minimal wage.

But at least you are getting paid, in april i might be taking over 4 websites and the server for a non - profit organization.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 15:03      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a logistical issue with 8+hours of work a week, and full-time classes. It could be done, but I certainly wouldn't want to.

Though, naturally, I could easily be accused of sloth. [Razz]

Perhaps part-time education? Evening classes and all that lot? It'd be a bit less taxing on the bank, and a bit more compatible with your schedule.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 19:56      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oz, the Wizard of:
Perhaps part-time education? Evening classes and all that lot? It'd be a bit less taxing on the bank, and a bit more compatible with your schedule.

NOOOOOO! Not part-time school!!! Get a part-time job and do school full-time. Apply for grants, scholarships, state and federal aid. Apply for on-campus work (if possible, get an on-campus job doing what you'll be majoring in). Make school the center of your life until you graduate and then run, sceaming, off to your career.

Part-time school will cost you FAR more than full-time school because of the way taxes and assistance and loans (if you must) are structured AND you'll have to wait longer before you can get the kind of job that you're going to college to get in the first place.

Full-time college will get you discounts on auto-insurance, too.

So disregard that bit about part-time school.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:06      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did college full-time and worked full-time throughout my entire 5 years of school (I was an engineering major in a 5-year program, but I went to the dark side). I also worked several part-time (usually one day a week types of things) jobs over those years.

All that and I still had time to sleep with all my friends and their friends and play poker on Friday nights and occasionally yank my head out of the john. I even went to all my classes and graduated with a respectable GPA.

A decision like this truly rests in knowing your own capabilities and limitations... not what everyone else tells you to do. Just know you have options (as mentioned by others) and choose the path that feels right for you.

Best of luck on the job and school decisions... and for crying out loud.. go on a date. [Smile]

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 18:08      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
catgoddess ____ which college did u go to again - just for curiositie's sake not the sleeping with your friends part?

--------------------

BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 19:20      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The real Stealth:
... pluss the fact that I will need to get a real Copy of Server 2k/3 so my second system can integrate the network to my dormroom (that way I can still work on the network and be 8+ hors from the office....

I don't know what school's have this, but at my school, all CS and CpE's have to buy into the Microsoft Campus Software Agreement. Pretty much that gives us all OS's MS has made back to Win ME/NT 4. This includes win2k and win2k3 server.
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:48      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
catgoddess ____ which college did u go to again - just for curiositie's sake not the sleeping with your friends part?

I went to Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). I also attended when the female population on campus was less than 10%. Good times. Good times.

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin went there. So did his wife. They met in the dorms, and she was single at the time. Granted, the male:female ratio was better than it used to be, but I'm still amazed that this happened (and not just because it's my cousin [Razz] ).

I went to UR. Our gender ratios were more reflective of the rest of the human race, so it wasn't unheard of for RIT students to come over hoping to find an available female.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 18:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah my driver instructor (off all people in the world ) recommended the university of Ottawa for its 12 : 1 femail to male ratio.

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 18:19      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stevenback7:
...12 : 1 femail to male ratio.

Having learned that ratio, my question becomes: Do they have good plant pathology or soil science programs? How cold does it get there? Are there good local clubs and/or centers of art and public education?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 31, 2007 20:04      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok sience I did not have reliable access for a couple of days I guess I need to explain the difference between my upcoming college experiance and most.

I plan on attending Cornell College in Mount Vernon, IA. This means that I will be on the OCAAT system which means One Class at a Time. I take a class for 3.5 weeks, take the final get a half week break and then start my next class. This means no part-time enrollment... It just doesn't exist. Also the computer science department is very tight-knit and should give me some room to learn new technology... looks like I may get things figured out in the end...

PS: anyone using Groove 2k7 with experiance in Visual Studio 2k5???

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 11:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
yeah my driver instructor (off all people in the world ) recommended the university of Ottawa for its 12 : 1 femail to male ratio.

Having lived in Ottawa for quite some time, I call shenanigans.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture